Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Parents Instead of being rigid , it helps if the parents provide specific guidelines for the children.  parents while demanding the child, it also helps if the child is explained what the parents expect from the child and how the child can meet such expectations.

In most parent children relationship authority and power becomes a major influencing factor and this what spoils the bond because parents become more demanding and less understanding as the child they have controlled begins to rebel and becomes more and more independent in thoughts and action. they fail to see that this is a very natural process and instead of being part and parcel of their evolution they sulk and show their displeasure ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

From what I have seen many parents face communication problems with their grown up children since both are on different wave length and this is something that cannot be changed .The only practical solution would be for parents not to probe and give their children space by not being inquisitive all the time.It may be difficult but we must start trusting our children more and doubting their intentions less. It is a fact that many working parents who are unable to spend time with their teenage children employ detectives to know what is going on in their lives. If the child comes to know this, the relationship can really suffer ..

Detectives to find out what the children are doing? OMG! It has come to this now.! I guess it is because most parents now think that since they bring home loads of money and give everything that their children ask for, they are doing the right job and being good parents. They simply don't want to communicate with their children on an emotional level.

Yes Kalyani, I know of quite a few cases where the children found out about the detectives and left home for good...You dont know who to blame? parents too busy with their careers and children open to too many temptations being led astray.I guess knowing these facts parents try to keep tabs which most of the time fails and creates misunderstanding and mistrust ! Instead speaking to them for a few minutes instead of picking faults  would be far more productive !

Instead of setting detectives behind their children, the parents should try to be more communicative with them, just sincere and genuine interest in their lives would do. After all, it is more a matter of trust from parents that makes or breaks relationship with the children.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Communication in an amicable and loving voice will make a difference. The child should see that there is friend to correct him and guide him.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

From what I have seen many parents face communication problems with their grown up children since both are on different wave length and this is something that cannot be changed .The only practical solution would be for parents not to probe and give their children space by not being inquisitive all the time.It may be difficult but we must start trusting our children more and doubting their intentions less. It is a fact that many working parents who are unable to spend time with their teenage children employ detectives to know what is going on in their lives. If the child comes to know this, the relationship can really suffer ..

Detectives to find out what the children are doing? OMG! It has come to this now.! I guess it is because most parents now think that since they bring home loads of money and give everything that their children ask for, they are doing the right job and being good parents. They simply don't want to communicate with their children on an emotional level.

Yes Kalyani, I know of quite a few cases where the children found out about the detectives and left home for good...You dont know who to blame? parents too busy with their careers and children open to too many temptations being led astray.I guess knowing these facts parents try to keep tabs which most of the time fails and creates misunderstanding and mistrust ! Instead speaking to them for a few minutes instead of picking faults  would be far more productive !

Instead of setting detectives behind their children, the parents should try to be more communicative with them, just sincere and genuine interest in their lives would do. After all, it is more a matter of trust from parents that makes or breaks relationship with the children.

It is like a vicious circle...They see the children rebelling and think the worst of them, so start looking for answers and so they get someone to follow them, they feel they are doing it to safe guard their children but it backfires and then of course it becomes even more difficult to repair the damage done ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

The more children are suppressed and encroaching the children territory, the more disastrous the results will be.

No matter how vigilant parents are, there are some very serious issues parents face when a child is growing to be an adolescent ..Since it is a first for all parents, they can only do what they feel is the best way to tackle it.As far as advise goes, it is difficult to decide whose advise to take since it is a personal and sensitive matter that one may not want to disclose.All these things make the parents stressed and sometimes they end up doing more damage than help their children , not intentionally though !

Of course. Parenting is a tight rope walking. Mistakes are bound to happen. But it's only through mistakes one can learn. On the other hand parents who refuse to learn are bound to make the family a Battle field. This is more true in the case of adolescent children.

Insecure parents cannot bring up secure children. Relations between parents and children are a matter of trust. However it is the parents who decide the quality of relationship.

Insecure parents cannot bring up secure children. Relations between parents and children are a matter of trust. However it is the parents who decide the quality of relationship.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.