Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

@Usha, the Neel kurinji you mentioned sounds like the Karvi flowers that bloom once every seven years in Sahyadi mountains in Maharashtra. these flowers also bloom on the Kaas plateau abundantly but the year that we visited this place was unfortunately not the year for Karvi to bloom. Last these flowers bloomed were in 2013. So we have to wait a few more years to see them now. 

See the link for its photos here:

http://gardentia.net/2014/02/02/maal-karvitopli-karvi/

Lovely flowers Kalyani but Neelakuriji is slightly different , a purplish blue shaded and it grows both in Kodaikanal and Munnar , blooming once in 12 years , the last it bloomed was in 2006 and we got an opportunity to see the flowers at Munnar ..

neela kurinji munnar

yes, they do look a bit different although I am sure they must belong to the same family.

Although purple and blue is not a common color among cultivated flowers , we see many wild flowers in that shade and they all look very similar to one another..This is a wild flower that is growing in my garden ! also in purple shade !

mandhara wild flower 2012

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

@Usha, the Neel kurinji you mentioned sounds like the Karvi flowers that bloom once every seven years in Sahyadi mountains in Maharashtra. these flowers also bloom on the Kaas plateau abundantly but the year that we visited this place was unfortunately not the year for Karvi to bloom. Last these flowers bloomed were in 2013. So we have to wait a few more years to see them now. 

See the link for its photos here:

http://gardentia.net/2014/02/02/maal-karvitopli-karvi/

Lovely flowers Kalyani but Neelakuriji is slightly different , a purplish blue shaded and it grows both in Kodaikanal and Munnar , blooming once in 12 years , the last it bloomed was in 2006 and we got an opportunity to see the flowers at Munnar ..

neela kurinji munnar

yes, they do look a bit different although I am sure they must belong to the same family.

Although purple and blue is not a common color among cultivated flowers , we see many wild flowers in that shade and they all look very similar to one another..This is a wild flower that is growing in my garden ! also in purple shade !

mandhara wild flower 2012

Most of the flowers  we see are in White. Next in yellow and Red in that order. Violet and purple though rarely seen flower colors, they attract more than other colors . Perhaps due to its rarity.

Is that so' I just found one

Common name: Bruggen's Aponogeton • Marathi: gulabi pantura 

Botanical name: Aponogeton bruggenii S.R.Yadav & Govekar Aponogeton bruggenii    Family: Aponogetonaceae (Cape-pondweed family)

Bruggens Aponogeton

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

suni51 wrote:

Is that so' I just found one

Common name: Bruggen's Aponogeton • Marathi: gulabi pantura 

Botanical name: Aponogeton bruggenii S.R.Yadav & Govekar Aponogeton bruggenii    Family: Aponogetonaceae (Cape-pondweed family)

Bruggens Aponogeton

Fabulous. A feast to the eyes. Again it confirmed my belief that a flower with uncommon color leaves  a big impression on the viewers.

In fact what I said in my post is that purple and bluish purple is a common color for wild flowers , so one can find many flowers in shades of purple and blue , whereas it is not so common among cultivated flowers ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

In fact what I said in my post is that purple and bluish purple is a common color for wild flowers , so one can find many flowers in shades of purple and blue , whereas it is not so common among cultivated flowers ..

Your observation is quite correct, there are more shades of blue and purple in wild flowers than in cultivated.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Your observation is quite correct, there are more shades of blue and purple in wild flowers than in cultivated.

In fact today while walking through the fields near the school where they have many wild flowers growing in abundance , I noticed only shades of purple and blue , pink and some white... Of course wild flowers come in many more shades and colors and later in the year during summer there will be more yellows and oranges blooming !

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.