According to Freud, the reason why we dream is a 'daytime residue' that spills over into the night. When you are going through something that you can't deal with, when your defences are not adequate enough to deal with the trauma in consciousness, that is when your subconscious mind tries to play it out.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/health-news/Nightmares-and-how-they-affect-you/articleshow/31738525.cms

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Nightmares are caused by both psychological and physical reasons.If a person is hungry while going to bed or has fever, nightmares can occur as we see in children..Freud was not able to complete his study on dreams and nightmares , which in fact was studied further by his student Ernest Jones. He concluded that nightmares are a result of a powerful wish and an equally powerful repression ! Later Psychologists like Ernest Hartmann went deep into the psyche and more revelations came out ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: rambabu

True. Yes it happened in my case. During my fever i used to see such nightmares.And thank you for adding more useful and informative stuff on Freud.

Personally I feel that our mind is so complex that no amount of research will be able to pin point any one reason or even a few relevant reasons as to why nightmares occur. We keep coming up with new facts and change old beliefs and so on.Bu t both dreams and nightmares are fascinating subjects of study !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

About human Brain's complexity, here is an interesting article. There are many hidden facts and still unknown aspects about Brain.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9969-introduction-the-human-brain/

The article is more about the clinical functions of the brain rather than psychological aspects ..

I see. anyhow i could understand more about the night mares in the previous thread when you provided about the Freud. And I too had this experience of night mares when I had typhoid. My sleep got interrupted and it took some time to know that it was the effect of typhoid. Later, of course my doctor too said about the reason for my night mare.

I am agree with Usha ji nightmares are dreams both are psychological and physical. I have nightmares which unrest me. I have problem of sleeplessness. What I dream and nightmares most of them, I remember all these when I wake up.

I encounter nightmares very frequently but have no idea why it occurs to me. I wake up abruptly but the best part is, most of the times I can't recollect what was the nightmare. It seems it's in my mind and I can recollect it easily but ultimately I never succeed in presenting it clearly. The whole thing is so complicated and fishy as well as quite disturbing.

shampasaid

Night mares are certainly disruptive. You wake up from your sleep with a jolt. This generally happens as said in the link article due to unfulfilled desires which are suppressed by force. But these desires live in your subconscious and come out causing havoc . When you are extremely weak owing to an ailment or hungry, such nightmares occur,.

There are various theories regarding why they happen. Some believe it is what plays in your mind subconsciously. We encounter many things in a day, some are unpleasant which lead to various worries, anxiety, fear and other negative emotions. The cumulative effect is nightmare. It is further affected when someone is unwell and not in a happy state of mind.One the other hand pleasant experiences and happy thoughts lead to dreams. If one is relaxed ,tension free and healthy nightmares are rare.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.