The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Yes, Nayantara Sehgal has returned the cash and you never know some more may follow her. It is a matter of prestige if the nation starts accusing the writers for not returning the money so let's see what they do finally. 

shampasaid

In today's Times of India , editor Indrajit Hazra has come up with his own take on the matter ...The witty manner in which he has addressed the subject  is quite amusing especially his own reason for returning bis birthday gift to his father LOL..smiley.png

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Undertheinfluence/how-to-return-an-award-without-coming-across-as-uncultured-and-boorish/

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya

A good article. I liked it. Especially the line that says one must be careful to return the right award to the right sender quoting the example of McDonald. The article is both witty and thought provoking.

The writers are more emotional and sensitive than others.  The government should consider their sentiments and take any remedial measures as necessary.  It is no use blaming the writers for political bias or taunting them in several ways.  It is true that writers are not so significant to people or government but even then they represent conscience of nation and should be taken seriously. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

The writers are more emotional and sensitive than others.  The government should consider their sentiments and take any remedial measures as necessary.  It is no use blaming the writers for political bias or taunting them in several ways.  It is true that writers are not so significant to people or government but even then they represent conscience of nation and should be taken seriously. 

True true true....But quite funny that their emotions and sensitivity is so selective in nature LOL flushed.png

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

The link is worth reading. What a style the editor has! Each and every sentence makes a strong impact but through a mild satire. Loved it. 

shampasaid

Although many in the forum are seeing red  in the writers returning their awards, the matter cannot be brushed aside as the sheer diversity and range of writers doing so shows something is wrong and needs to be corrected. Let us not shoot the messengers but understand the message they are giving.

It is not a question of seeing red, one can understand that they may be feeling threatened with the killings of writers that has been taking place and the open threats made. More writers have joined in to show solidarity no doubt , including Salman Rushdie ! Personally I feel that by doing this , they may not achieve anything much because, this will be forgotten in a matter of days ,but the goons will remain at large and the political parties would have gained some mileage out of it ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Writers can protest by their writings or by surrendering the recognition they have received. They can come together and organise a march. Being small in number and scattered perhaps returning awards is a way of conveying their resentment. Yes like so many other acts this also will be forgotten. But should one not even protest when times required to protest is an important question? It surely registers at whom it is directed.

I have already mentioned in my previous comments that there is nothing wrong in returning the award. This is a kind of dissent that they try to reflect against the increasing intolerance. So, there is no reason that the forum members are seeing red about this protest of the writers. As some experienced members have pointed out that why they kept quiet during some other disturbances and we see that some experienced journalists have also raised this question. So, here we are only discussing it especially because we wish that the writers' action is not politically motivated. If so then it's a matter of concern as well as pity. Writers enjoy high esteem so if they speak or act in protest against violence towards mankind then no one will raise a question but it will be questioned if they want to show any political bias. 

shampasaid

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.