Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
rambabu wrote:

In Andhra preparations are made with Curry leaves or Karivepaku Akulu, as it is called in Andhra.

It can be made as a powder or as a paste.. Curry leaves paste can be served with rice, lemon rice, Upma or Semiya Upma. Its both delicious and healthy

Why are you repeating the same thing? You have already this in the above post! Do I need to remind you again?

The earlier one was about Curry leaves Powder that goes well with Idli. This is paste made of curry leaves that goes well with Upma, Yellow rice etc. Both are different

Jincy Aby wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Thanks for the link Usha. It contains breakfast items that are traditionally made across the country. I make kane pohe, and pohe of other variatns by adding other veggies such as potato, cauliflower, peas etc. Upma, idli, dosas, among other items.

I never heard about kane pohe. What is it? May I know how to make kane pohe? I always like to prepare variety items for my family members. If possible please explain about it.

Jincy it is a Maharashtrian breakfast dish made using beaten rice flakes. Here is a link for its recipe:

http://maharashtrian-recipes-online.com/kande-pohe-maharashtrian-breakfast-recipe/

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Curry leaves are dry roasted with Bengalgramdhal and chillies and dry coconut and a few other ingredients powdered to make this Chutney powder as it is called here and it is mixed with either ghee or oil . It goes well with Idlis and dosas..

I totally love that chutney powder and have learned to prepare it but the taste is not the way you might prepare it. By the way, is there any particular brand of chutney powder that can be bought? My husband is currently visiting Sirsi and nearby places, he will be in Hubli tonight and will start for Pune tomorrow. I can ask him to buy it for me if you can tell me any specific brand or what it might be called.

Kalyani, MTR is the best for curry powder and a few local brands like Aachi, which is equally good. I am sure you can get MTR in Pune . All their spice powders are very good .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Thanks for the link Usha. It contains breakfast items that are traditionally made across the country. I make kane pohe, and pohe of other variatns by adding other veggies such as potato, cauliflower, peas etc. Upma, idli, dosas, among other items.

Pohe is one of my favorites too and when you add vegetables , it becomes very nutritious and tasty ! In Mangalore we even make a sweet dish by adding grated coconut, crushed Jaggery, Honey, Cardomom powder and chopped Bananas to it, basically just mixing everything together. It is very tasty and we serve it with Neer Dosa , a variety of Dosa made with thin rice batter.

I loove neer dosa. I was recently in Bangalore and had my fill. Actually I am a huge foodie. I must have eaten all kinds of grub (as long as it wasn't moving). The more alien the better. And the thing is that I am a pretty decent cook, though I say so myself (I have been told by my satisfied customers), who gets easily bored by the same stuff. And being one yourself, you probably know that one tends to get into an unimaginative cycle with breakfast. Cereal, sandwiches, puttu, poha, upma, pattiri (I haven't eaten the fried version of pattiri. So one is always looking for fresh ideas. The pattiri in the photo resembles a puri. Which reminds me, if you haven't you could try beetroot or methi with puris. Its even better than the usual aloo-baji. Though it will leave a lot of red colour.

I was going to make idiyapam tomorrow for breakfast because there's this new version of the contraption you make it in, which looks very heavy, but is actually convenient to use. But now I'm thinking I'll try one of the others in this collection. Its a very well designed site. Most useful. Thanks! I've had most of them at some point, except a few variations hear and there. Including the ragi version of idiyappam. And I don't recall seeing paniharam in this list, those tiny fried savoury idlis. I stuffed myself on those too in Bangalore.

Thankfully I'm not obsessed about weightgain, because I do my one and half hours yoga when it pleases me. So I'll let myself go for a period, then think, "okay, now I feel fat," and start yoga.

For my taste, ragi doesn't always taste great. I tried MTR's ragi upma, thinking it would be healthy and I felt like a sickly diabetic. It was so weirdly bland. It wasn't very appetising. Or maybe I didn't cook it properly. I have never heard of the Chettinad seera, though I'm familiar with the cuisine. It's their version of bonda I guess. And I don't know anything about Sindhi cuisine. So that Loli, Lola thing was a discovery. Though basically its your double fried paratha.

I have only been in Kerala for a month after three years. I've actually been working in Delhi for ages, and  that's foodie paradise. I've eaten the meetha version of paratha at my Punjabi friend's home for breakfast. And of course you must have tried the sheermal roti. It's rich, doughy sugary with notches on the surface I think the origin is Lucknawi. Its a very Nawabi cuisine flatbread.

There's a chain of restaurants called Karim's whose original is in Old Delhi. Sheermal is one of Karim's specialities.

Apparently the original owner's family used to be with the Mughal Emperor's kitchen (probably Bahadur Shah Zafar before he came down in the world or maybe it was one of Aurangzeb's other descendants). Of course in Delhi and Lucknow and possibly Hyderabad, you'll usually hear  older restaurants trace their roots back to Nawab or Mughal kitchens. And u don't know who is telling a tall tale to brand themselves. But it is a known fact that there have been lots of unusual experiments with food, and very elaborate recipes because of royal patronage. Apparently some of those guys had loads of time on their hands and used to tell their chefs to play around as much as they liked with expensive and unusually presented dishes. It often had created entertainment value at the table.

What's also a good thing is that earlier some of the more traditional recipes were more time-consuming (a lot of South Indian ones  tend to be), so people started to veer to ready-to-use stuff. But I guess Mom's always have to keep reinventing to keep kids interested, and in the process, people also have designed better kitchen equipment (like the idiyappam thingummy), so you can have fresh do-it-yourself recipes like your mom and grandmom made from scratch. Instead of using a packet.

I had planned to ask a question about easy to make recipes for homemade bread. There is stuff on the web. But when you ask more people, someone somewhere might have their own spin, which is unlisted on the web. If anyone has a recipe that doesn't involve having to keep the dough overnight kindly contact this space. 

Today I'm going to be the person walking around with a hammer to break someone's heart with, because its Valentine's Day

RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

Thanks for the link which covers almost all breakfast recipes and is very informative and useful. We usually make idli or Dosa with chutney and sambar, puttu & kadala (black channa) curry, Appam & kadala curry, upma, etc. Puttu & Kadala curry is a healthy dish and it is believed that it was discovered by the Portuguese for their soldiers.

Shana wrote: That's interesting. Do you have any more details about the background to that story?

Today I'm going to be the person walking around with a hammer to break someone's heart with, because its Valentine's Day

rambabu wrote:

With Atukulu (Pressed Rice ) many healthy Breakfasts can be made. Especially for the Tiffin Boxes . Milk and Atukulu with Jaggery or a bit of Honey will be much relished preparation for the children. It can make a nutritious Breakfast for the elders too.

Is atukulu basically the same pressed rice used for poha, before you cook it ?

SHANA MARIA VERGHIS wrote:
RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

Thanks for the link which covers almost all breakfast recipes and is very informative and useful. We usually make idli or Dosa with chutney and sambar, puttu & kadala (black channa) curry, Appam & kadala curry, upma, etc. Puttu & Kadala curry is a healthy dish and it is believed that it was discovered by the Portuguese for their soldiers.

Shana wrote: That's interesting. Do you have any more details about the background to that story?

Appam and Puttu are both very tasty and in Mangalore we use toddy for fermenting the dough for Appam, it gives it a unique taste. If Toddy is not available one can use tender coconut water with the soft tender coconut pieces as well while grinding the rice.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

rambabu wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
rambabu wrote:

In Andhra preparations are made with Curry leaves or Karivepaku Akulu, as it is called in Andhra.

It can be made as a powder or as a paste.. Curry leaves paste can be served with rice, lemon rice, Upma or Semiya Upma. Its both delicious and healthy

Why are you repeating the same thing? You have already this in the above post! Do I need to remind you again?

The earlier one was about Curry leaves Powder that goes well with Idli. This is paste made of curry leaves that goes well with Upma, Yellow rice etc. Both are different

Hey, I remember making curry leaves paste years ago to be 'holistic', so to speak. But it turned out very bitter, so only my dad and I ate it! And the curry leaves powder, do you have any recipes. Is it like coconut chutney powder. Dry roasted and ground? I think of Andhra, and I think of gongura.

SHANA MARIA VERGHIS wrote:
rambabu wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Hey, I remember making curry leaves paste years ago to be 'holistic', so to speak. But it turned out very bitter, so only my dad and I ate it! And the curry leaves powder, do you have any recipes. Is it like coconut chutney powder. Dry roasted and ground? I think of Andhra, and I think of gongura.

Exactly . Gongura is an integral part of Every Andhra's life. It is also known as " Sakambari Devi Vara Prasadam, Means it is the boon bestowed on Telugu people by the Goddess of Vegetarianism.

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Curry leaves are dry roasted with Bengalgramdhal and chillies and dry coconut and a few other ingredients powdered to make this Chutney powder as it is called here and it is mixed with either ghee or oil . It goes well with Idlis and dosas..

I totally love that chutney powder and have learned to prepare it but the taste is not the way you might prepare it. By the way, is there any particular brand of chutney powder that can be bought? My husband is currently visiting Sirsi and nearby places, he will be in Hubli tonight and will start for Pune tomorrow. I can ask him to buy it for me if you can tell me any specific brand or what it might be called.

Kalyani, MTR is the best for curry powder and a few local brands like Aachi, which is equally good. I am sure you can get MTR in Pune . All their spice powders are very good .

Yes Usha, we get MTR masalas in Pune, Aachi is a good brand too, a few months ago my mum had bought Aachi Sambar Masala from Tirupati and it was the best one so far I had tasted. Although we do get MTR, I was thinking more of somethng that was freshly prepared, homemade recipe./Last night when I spoke to my husband, he said he had managed to get a packet of the chutney powder from a hotel owner where he had had breakfast and their chutney powder was simply great. I will let you know how it is once he is back home.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.