Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

@ Kalyani, yes please do let me know how it is...I make it at home at times and it comes out very well ! I am giving the recipe here//

Channa dal - 1 cup ( roast with a little oil) , Urad dhal 2 tablespoon ( roast separately with oil), Copra, dry coconut grated - 1 cup ( roast until brown with a little oil),Dry  Red chilies 6-8 , more if you want it hot ( roast with a little oil long with a spoonful of mustard seeds), Curry leaves a handful, roasted with a little oil. Salt, a small piece of jaggery and a tsp Hing and lime sized Tamarind ( roast the tamarind after seperating it )

When the ingredients are cool blend in a mixer for a few seconds , cool and again run the mixture for a few seconds until the mixture is ground coarsely. You can season it with hot oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves and cool before storing it !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

@ Kalyani, yes please do let me know how it is...I make it at home at times and it comes out very well ! I am giving the recipe here//

Channa dal - 1 cup ( roast with a little oil) , Urad dhal 2 tablespoon ( roast separately with oil), Copra, dry coconut grated - 1 cup ( roast until brown with a little oil),Dry  Red chilies 6-8 , more if you want it hot ( roast with a little oil long with a spoonful of mustard seeds), Curry leaves a handful, roasted with a little oil. Salt, a small piece of jaggery and a tsp Hing and lime sized Tamarind ( roast the tamarind after seperating it )

When the ingredients are cool blend in a mixer for a few seconds , cool and again run the mixture for a few seconds until the mixture is ground coarsely. You can season it with hot oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves and cool before storing it !

Thanks a lot Usha for the recipe, I will make this chutney using your recipe now. I used to make it in a similar way but didn't know about adding copra.

The powder my husband bought is also quite good, but has comparatively less salt than is needed so I have to add salt to it and blend it once again. But the quality is quite good.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Jincy Aby wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Thanks for the link Usha. It contains breakfast items that are traditionally made across the country. I make kane pohe, and pohe of other variatns by adding other veggies such as potato, cauliflower, peas etc. Upma, idli, dosas, among other items.

I never heard about kane pohe. What is it? May I know how to make kane pohe? I always like to prepare variety items for my family members. If possible please explain about it.

Jincy it is a Maharashtrian breakfast dish made using beaten rice flakes. Here is a link for its recipe:

http://maharashtrian-recipes-online.com/kande-pohe-maharashtrian-breakfast-recipe/

Thank you for sharing this link here. Of course I will try this dish as soon as possible. From this picture, it is clear that this is a very tasty dish. 

rambabu wrote:

Once I was a member of a Malayali mess, then I Happened to taste Puttu. It is a preparation made by using steam. It can be served with Banana. A healthy Breakfast indeed.

Yes, puttu is a very tasty breakfast. This is the most important breakfast in Kerala. I prepare puttu for breakfast once in every week. Having puttu with kadala curry is very tasty. We can have puttu with different kinds of plantains also.

There are times when I have what I call a super breakfast with all the left overs from the previous day...like for example yesterday I had a left over chapati with chole , fruits and yogurt ! It is very filling !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Here is one more awesome list of breakfast recipes covering 60 ideas from different top bloggers.

http://www.senseornosense.com/easy-breakfast-ideas/

Kavita Goyal wrote:

Here is one more awesome list of breakfast recipes covering 60 ideas from different top bloggers.

http://www.senseornosense.com/easy-breakfast-ideas/

Hi Kavita you need to save the link after uploading it on your post or else none can access it !

In this fast pace world, I feel that my mother and mother-in-law are the ones who patiently prepare the reciepies provided in the link by Usha ji. I for once, donot have patience to even make something very delicious! The maximum time spent by me in kitchen would be just 30 minutes! Many of the equipments have advanced to quicken the breakfast making. For instance, making the good old idli/dosa batter would take a night and a day (the traditional soaking, grinding, fermenting,etc) and I prefer buying the ready made batter from Retail store, which is easier to store in fridge and which I feel is less messier! Hence for idli, rava dosa, dhokla,etc there are ready to make batters and cooking items!

But this stands true- when breakfasts are made with traditional way, it tastes way better than the instant ones.

Swetha Shenoy

It all depends on time management and interest ..since we all live in the same fast paced world , working , managing a house and a dozen other things including the many house guests and other family related matters , looking after children etc it actually boils down to ones own preferences, like you rightly said traditional breakfast is the best but iny house , strictly meant for weekends. During week days it is museli, oats, milk and fruits which is the easiest or buttered toast and milk ..

We, in our Home give utmost importance to Breakfast. For this, we prefer to have Attu  a thin  cake like thing. Generally we eat our Breakfast before 9 AM. Another recipe is Pulagam , again made of a single pulse or a combination of two or three Pulses. They are filling. Pulagam keeps you active all the Day. The good thing about these recipes are, they are  easy to prepare and consumes less time.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.