If we focus back to the good old times, we see that Parents had a say in all matters concerning their children - be it food preferences, school, college, career choice , marriage etc...Probably that depended on the times and the society as it was then. But with globalisation things have changed drastically within the society in the past two decades and we see a change in Parent - Children relationship too. Is the change for better or worse ?

it computers newborn new parent new baby maternity baby 16517604 low

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

True Usha, the relationship between parents and their kids have undergone a huge change in many ways, the cartoons you have uploaded are only one of the few examples. In some ways, the change can be said for better, earlier days it was quite unthinkable for parents to be on friendlier terms with their kids, and kids dare not challenge the authority of their parents. However, now most parents and kids have a very friendly relationship and get on with each other very nicely.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

No doubt relation between parents and children changed. At present parents for children is a bank to whom money, which they are getting no need to pay back. Children are independent. Relation have not affection. I am not in favor of it. Freedom is good up to a limit. Children never forgot their duty for parents and family. It is saying of old time that when size of shoes of son and father are equal, treat them like a friend. It is gold principal for relation between young children and parents.

anil wrote:

No doubt relation between parents and children changed. At present parents for children is a bank to whom money, which they are getting no need to pay back. Children are independent. Relation have not affection. I am not in favor of it. Freedom is good up to a limit. Children never forgot their duty for parents and family. It is saying of old time that when size of shoes of son and father are equal, treat them like a friend. It is gold principal for relation between young children and parents.

I don't agree that at present parents and children's relationships do not have affection. At present children are very much career oriented and why not because we parents are daring our children to dream big and achieve it too naturally it becomes a bit difficult for them to balance both their career and their family. Being parents we need to be considerate too. Everything should be within a limit and that includes also the interference of parents. If we try to understand the circumstances which the present day children are facing then I think the relationship will not loose the charm it had earlier.     

shampasaid

Personally from my own life experience I dont see too much difference because in my own case my mother was very open and I shared just about everything with her and the same is the case with my children and me. But the present day children are far more outgoing and daring and they also dont give too much importance to certain traditional beliefs and customs and thats where the clash comes in.

I also feel that the change in mindset has been too rapid in the past two decades and the youngsters are able to deal with it better than the older generations...In urban families the difference may not be too much but in rural families and small towns it can cause a problem with the relationship between the parents and children.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I actually consider my generation to be the sandwich generation. Neither we can lead life like our upper generation nor can adopt the ways our younger generation is adopting. It's the reason that my generation is failing to enjoy life on their own terms. 

shampasaid

@ Shampa ..I suppose so because the change happened very fast during the previous two decades and it was difficult for many of those who were already adults to cope with it. They are neither here nor there. Something similar happened soon after Independence I am told because things changed drastically within India .

well i think earlier thing were not so better between children and their parents like today i think whatever has been changed from past to present is for the good of the society which i think is better for everyone. 

bhuyali saroj

There are both positive and negative aspects when there is change. But with time and experience it becomes easier to adapt to the change in relationship s

usha manohar wrote:

There are both positive and negative aspects when there is change. But with time and experience it becomes easier to adapt to the change in relationship s

Yes, it does become easier with time and experience, but like I said in some other instance, there has to be willingness to adapt too, without which things become very difficult and unpleasant for all parties involved. I have seen how parents have refused to accept modern dress codes in their children and their insistence to make them stick to the parents' own notion of what is fashionable resulted in estrangement between parents and children. Here, it was only a trivial issue such as clothes, and modern outfits do not necessarily mean skimpy clothing, but the parents closed all lines of communication and now are left all alone as children refuse to have anything to do with them.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Yes, it does become easier with time and experience, but like I said in some other instance, there has to be willingness to adapt too, without which things become very difficult and unpleasant for all parties involved. I have seen how parents have refused to accept modern dress codes in their children and their insistence to make them stick to the parents' own notion of what is fashionable resulted in estrangement between parents and children. Here, it was only a trivial issue such as clothes, and modern outfits do not necessarily mean skimpy clothing, but the parents closed all lines of communication and now are left all alone as children refuse to have anything to do with them.

I agree Kalyani, dress preference always leads to a tug of war between the parents and daughters, boys are lucky that way ! Now here in my city all colleges have uniforms on week days and only n Saturday being half working days ,the students are allowed to wear any other dress and the girls and boys are waiting to dress up on those days. But even that has to be within the dress code that a college follows, so no short tops or short dresses above knees etc..One of my neighbors daughter is in college and she loves to dress up in dresses and it looks nice on her because she is a pretty girl with a trim figure. But her mother would have none of it , so the poor girl wears a salwar kameez and change into a dress at her friends place and change back before coming home..I know this and I am sure so do many others ! I wonder what would happen when the mother comes to know ..

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.