Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Personally I dont believe in leading a life that ties me to, too many don'ts !!! I would rather do what I want, eat what I want, drink what I want and go where I want and be ready to face the consequences. If you live your life with too much discipline and forgoing too many things, you rob your life of all the enjoyments and fun things. I see so many people living up to 95 or longer having stayed in the same place for years and done the same thing for decades which to me seems pretty boring !

I agree with you completely, I too hate a life which is full of complications and don't , I prefer to keep things simple and would want to do things that I like and eat things that I really love. But moderation is the key to living healthy and doing things to extreme, both indulgence and over discipline, either ways is not healthy.

Life is gift of God and we are not last long. It is our duty keep us fit and do all thing what we can do for it. Life is our and we are responsible for all pleasures and sorrows.

Age Factor has to be taken in to consideration. Senior Citizens, those who are above 65 years should not undertake frequent journeys. Recently I had been to Guruvayoor, Kalahasti,and Tirupati to visit my relatives. This made me sick. My head started reeling. When I visited a Doctor, he advised me not to undertake Journeys and stick to my place as far as possible.

Normally one can remain healthy and very active until the age of eighty ...Most of the seniors in my own family are very fit because of their lifestyle which is hard work, going to the fields and supervising the work and working in the coconut gardens etc which keeps them healthy ...I remember once when we were in Goa, we would see a English couple jogging every morning on the beach and later when we got speaking to them , we were all surprised to hear that both of them were in their mid seventies, and so very fit !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

Normally one can remain healthy and very active until the age of eighty ...Most of the seniors in my own family are very fit because of their lifestyle which is hard work, going to the fields and supervising the work and working in the coconut gardens etc which keeps them healthy ...I remember once when we were in Goa, we would see a English couple jogging every morning on the beach and later when we got speaking to them , we were all surprised to hear that both of them were in their mid seventies, and so very fit !

Usha I too have seen many senior people who work in the farms so healthy and fit even in their late eighties and nineties. The best example I can give of such truly fit people is the hundreds and hundreds of simple peasant folks who are currently walking the holy pilgrimage of Vari from Pune to Pandharpur. These are all mostly farmers who have finished sowing their fields and are taking a respite of 15-16 days for Vari. Many of these people belong to ages between 70 and 90 years , some even beyond 90. This walk is not at all easy, the distance is almost 210 kilometres, it keeps raining incessantly and they have to climb up and down several steep ghats in the Sahyadri ranges. These people never have seen an inside of a gym, and hardly ever visit a doctor!

https://www.boddunan.com/articles/people-places/59-customs-and-culture/22765-pandharichi-vari-%E2%80%93-the-great-cultural-heritage-of-maharashtra-part-i.html

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

In my case, I generally maintain a good health. A decade ago, I walked the "walk way" to reach the Tirupati Shrine. But now, it's simply impossible. Now I limited my travels as I'm in 80s. The problem crops up when I'm exposed to different climates, and food habits. It happened very recently when I had been to Guruvayoor to witness the Maiden performance of my eldest grand daughter's Mohini Attam. There I was exposed to different types of foods, resulting in  slight indisposition.

My Doctor too advised me to undertake Journeys.

I guess there is a difference between normal activity and hard physical labor and activity which some people do all through their life which makes them remain fit all through life also when they expose themselves to all kinds of weather and food habits they develop a very high level of resistance. We need to teach our children not to be fussy about food choices an remain active, doing all their work and also take part in exerting physical activities which goes a long way in developing a sturdy and fit body.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Usha I too have seen many senior people who work in the farms so healthy and fit even in their late eighties and nineties. The best example I can give of such truly fit people is the hundreds and hundreds of simple peasant folks who are currently walking the holy pilgrimage of Vari from Pune to Pandharpur. These are all mostly farmers who have finished sowing their fields and are taking a respite of 15-16 days for Vari. Many of these people belong to ages between 70 and 90 years , some even beyond 90. This walk is not at all easy, the distance is almost 210 kilometres, it keeps raining incessantly and they have to climb up and down several steep ghats in the Sahyadri ranges. These people never have seen an inside of a gym, and hardly ever visit a doctor!

https://www.boddunan.com/articles/people-places/59-customs-and-culture/22765-pandharichi-vari-%E2%80%93-the-great-cultural-heritage-of-maharashtra-part-i.html

Thanks a lot for the link Kalyani ..I have seen really old people climb up Shravan Belgola during the Masthakabhisheka , they take rest every now and the but manage to climb all the way up. It is the energy levels , agility and more than anything mental determination that makes them do it..

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Thanks a lot for the link Kalyani ..I have seen really old people climb up Shravan Belgola during the Masthakabhisheka , they take rest every now and the but manage to climb all the way up. It is the energy levels , agility and more than anything mental determination that makes them do it..

There might numerous such examples of very old people making strenuous treks and climbs to places of pilgrimage so I think, even faith plays a vital role in mental and physical fitness, of course atheists would be ready to jump with sarcastic sniggers, but faith spur people on to accomplish feats that would normally be quite impossible to many. So in effect, simple living, hard work and faith is what basically required for any one to stay fit in life.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

There are some famous people who amaze you with their fitness levels and agility. Amitabh Bachhan , although has had many health issues after he met with a freak accident while shooting for a film in Bangalore university campus , remains extremely fit and active . I was amazed to see him run up the steps at a recent award function..

Nageswara Rao, the Telugu Matinee Idol lived up to 75 years. I remember a few years ago, there was function to honor him in Vizag. At that time, he was in 70s. Well before that he was well known for his agility. The audience requested him to dance with a few young College Students. He has obliged and danced with all of them. The Youngsters were gasping for breath, where as Nageswara Rao remained tireless. That's fitness. 

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.