When we think of any garden the first and foremost requirement would be have soil since one cannot imagine growing plants without a medium which is generally the soil. But in Mangalore a popular and well known Physician and a Professor , also a garden enthusiast grows plants without soil but using coco peat ( wood, leaves and other degradable material) . I have visited Mr Bhat's house and garden since his wife Vasanti is a friend of mine. It is well cared for and lovingly maintained by the entire family ..Please read the article to get all the details !

http://www.mangalorean.com/gardener-dr-ks-bhat-grows-plants-using-no-soil/

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Very interesting article. Loved all the greenery around his house. A very welcoming place :)

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

Wow, lovely house and lovely garden, literally a paradise. There are many gardeners in Pune who use soil less technique to grow gardens but they use vermiculture compost prepared by themselves, but a garden created using only cocopeat is something quite different.

Usha, lucky you are to be acquainted with the couple! By the way, what is this called?? Image attached which I took from Mr. Bhat's article.

image005gardener dr ks bhat grows plants using no soil 20160623 005

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Very interesting facts abut Dr.Bhat. I liked his saying, " A child and a plant are both  God's innocent Creations." Additionally,   I fully agree with his opinion on growing  of our own vegetable garden.I bow down before this great soul, who made seemingly impossible things made possible.

@ Kalyani, that is a vegetable , cross between ridge gourd and bitter gourd , we have a local name for it and grows wild but now it is being cultivated ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
usha manohar wrote:

@ Kalyani, that is a vegetable , cross between ridge gourd and bitter gourd , we have a local name for it and grows wild but now it is being cultivated ..

But its leaves look like leaves of beans which are different from the gourd family. Anyway, what is it called?

D. Bhat;s innovative ' Soil-less Garden', now encourages people in a big way.  Plants can be grown in terrace, Backyard or even in Bedroom windows. Another advantage is,  soil-less Gardening helps in  increasing the Greenery .. Gardening as a hobby is improves mental and physical health

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

But its leaves look like leaves of beans which are different from the gourd family. Anyway, what is it called?

I think the leaves must have got entangled  ..The vegetable is called Kaat peere in Tulu ..

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

I think the leaves must have got entangled  ..The vegetable is called Kaat peere in Tulu ..

Yeah, that explains the leaves. I guess, it is something that grows only in your part of the country, never seen it before. I bet it must taste quite nice. Is it propagated by seeds like other gourds?

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Yeah, that explains the leaves. I guess, it is something that grows only in your part of the country, never seen it before. I bet it must taste quite nice. Is it propagated by seeds like other gourds?

Yes Kalyani , it is propagated through seeds and normally you can see it growing wild with smaller vegetables. But when it is cultivated at home with care and better manure it grows larger ..

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Wow!! Amazing garden. Usha you are really lucky to have visited them. Really inspiring gardeners. I was also amazed at the space management and beauty of the garden. A lot can be sensed about the couple's passion and love for plants

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.