Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Swami Vivekananda was  the  key figure in the introduction  of Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga. His thoughts  are relevant even today. Youth must learn a lot from this great soul.

Indeed it is day of awakening and here in my town there are many functions being organised by different organisations in memory of Vivekananda . Anil, but how is Hanuman Chalisa connected to Vivekananda ? I dont see the connection ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Swami Vivekananda was indeed an inspirational figure. Its so interesting to read his quotes or any anecdotes related to him. But here, except for an organization or two, people don't celebrate his birthday.

@Usha, I too am confused about the connection between his birthday and Hanuman chalisa.

Among the Teachings of Swami Vivekananda,the one I liked most is " Arise awake and stop not until the Goal is reached",

The crux of the saying clearly says about the meaning of life and its purpose, relevant even today in every walk of life.

jabeen wrote:

Swami Vivekananda was indeed an inspirational figure. Its so interesting to read his quotes or any anecdotes related to him. But here, except for an organization or two, people don't celebrate his birthday.

@Usha, I too am confused about the connection between his birthday and Hanuman chalisa.

No doubt people celebrate but it is also a fact that youngsters have to live in fear  of attack of all kinds. It is sad to see in today's newspaper nothing but crime related news items like young girl raped and burnt , a student commiting suicide because he was harassed by his seniors and so on..Ideals have taken a back seat and we see nothing but unrest, selfishness and criminal mentality among the masses ! Even a few such elements are enough to pollute the entire town , state and nation! 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Vivekananda was human. very intelligent but in his writings he supported the caste system.

MG Singh wrote:Vivekananda was human. very intelligent but in his writings he supported the caste system.

Where from you got this information that Vivekananda supported caste system ? Please provide a link

MG Singh wrote:Vivekananda was human. very intelligent but in his writings he supported the caste system.

From my understanding Vivekananda was all for Hindutva but was against caste system ..I give this paragraph from an article..

Swami Vivekananda clearly discouraged caste system.

He writes in a letter, ALMORA, 30th May, 1897 - "the conviction is daily gaining on my mind that the idea of caste is the greatest dividing factor and the root of Maya; all caste either on the principle of birth or of merit is bondage. [CW-6]" Link - 

jabeen wrote:

There is no connection between the two, the author merely shared a translated version of Hanuman chalisa on the occasion of World Youth Day which is celebrated to mark Swami Vivekanand's birthday.

Sadly, all great philosophers, thinkers, and freedomfighters have been divided amongst various communities based on the castes they belonged. So is the case with Swamiji, whose contributions and philosophy is recognised only by a few Hindu groups. A sad and a tragic downfall of our great culture!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Even I could not relate Vivekananda to Hanuman Chalisa.

Whatever I have read about Vivekananda, I have never heard that he supported caste system. Right now, my daughter has a chapter in her Hindi textbook about Vivekananda. There it is clearly mentioned that he was against caste based division. He was progressive and supported women empowerment and gender equality.

But the sad thing is that he died very young

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.