The general impression people have is that a person who reads a lot is automatically intelligent. However, is it a fact that an intelligent person reads more or does reading make a person intelligent?

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

General perception is that the people who read much tends to be intelligent. Which could be true or false as the term and the factors of intelligences seems to be good for some one and seems to be idiotic in senses. It is more of a comparable and situational term. Reading proves to be exercise of bring and it is the approximate for every person as the fruitfulness of reading cold fetch large dividend to some one where as it could provide lesser increment of knowledge to some other. 

http://mohanmekap.com/

I am of the opinion a well read person need not not be always intelligent. I know several Uneducated are more intelligent. Unless a well read person applies his knowledge to the real conditions in life, he is as good as an educated person 

An intelligent person needs fuel in form of further ideas and thus reads a lot.

From what I have observed it is normally the intelligent children who can be trained to become good readers.. Reading more increases knowledge and the intelligent ones are able to use this knowledge to their advantage ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Intelligence is to a very large extant nourished or developed by the growing child's environment. Parents who can afford good education have intelligent children and those who cannot have much less intelligent children. Exceptions are always possible in both cases.

vijay wrote:

Intelligence is to a very large extant nourished or developed by the growing child's environment. Parents who can afford good education have intelligent children and those who cannot have much less intelligent children. Exceptions are always possible in both cases.

There definitely are exceptions. without congenial atmosphere and educated parents, I know some cases, where the children are gifted with extraordinary intelligence.

usha manohar wrote:

From what I have observed it is normally the intelligent children who can be trained to become good readers.. Reading more increases knowledge and the intelligent ones are able to use this knowledge to their advantage ..

I agree those who are born intelligent would naturally show their interest in developing the reading habit which would further benefit them. 

Those who are born with very low I Q would have an apathy towards anything reading. And it would be a difficult task to make them a good reader. But if motivated I feel that they could also use the knowledge they get from reading

A well read man may be more informed. But intelligence is not information. Intelligence consists of properly using the information. Information is just a tool that can be used intelligently or otherwise. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani

To a certain extent intelligence may be inherited however sometimes we see really dull heads being born to highly intelligent people . Here I agree with Vijay in that it needs to be nurtured. Most highly intelligent people are busy and often neglect their family and homes and this reflects in their family lives and the status of their children. 

This also brings a question to my mind, is intelligent subjective and does not automatically include common sense as well? 

usha manohar wrote:

To a certain extent intelligence may be inherited however sometimes we see really dull heads being born to highly intelligent people . Here I agree with Vijay in that it needs to be nurtured. Most highly intelligent people are busy and often neglect their family and homes and this reflects in their family lives and the status of their children. 

This also brings a question to my mind, is intelligent subjective and does not automatically include common sense as well? 

Very true...I think intelligence by itself does not count for much but wisdom counts more as it is a combination of intelligence, common sense and being street smart. Just being intelligent does not help any one. Do you watch The Big Bang Theory? I think Sheldon Cooper is the perfect example of such an intelligence.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.