Parents do this with all the right intentions but end up doing more harm than good. I remember my own case where my son had an allergy for curds and anything that had a tangy sour taste. I tried to feed him but later consulted a dietician who advised me not to try and get him to like Yogurt since he has Lactose intolerance and it can become serious when parents force feed their children..So, it is better not to force feed but to look for reasons as to why the child is refusing a certain food ..

http://www.beingtheparent.com/negative-effects-of-forcing-your-kids-to-eat-1-3-years/

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Well I never struggled with that. I stopped feeding my children once they were two years. They sat with us for meals and were served a little of everything. This is how they developed their habit of eating everything

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

It is not just a question of eating by themselves , since some children do have allergies which many parents dont realise for a long time...In my family too my children were eating everything cooked at home , on their own once they were able to handle fork and spoon and I also wold make some special dish for them once in a while,  but that is not the issue ...I know of a family where very spicy fish curry is eaten almost every day and the child, 3 years old finds it difficult to eat. But the mother keeps on forcing the child to eat the same spicy food rather than keep some fish pieces separately with less spice or make some other arrangement .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

My children never faced such problems. But, I suggest Parents should do a bit of experimentation. Instead of forcing the children for eating, parents should prepare that preparation which the child likes.

Arunima Singh wrote:

Well I never struggled with that. I stopped feeding my children once they were two years. They sat with us for meals and were served a little of everything. This is how they developed their habit of eating everything

It is good thing that we develop habit of eating every thing. My self have this habit. It is my principal that thing which I like eat enough quantity and which I not like much eat small quantity but never refuse to any thing.

If the children like everything prepared in the home, there is nothing like it.

rambabu wrote:

If the children like everything prepared in the home, there is nothing like it.

Yes what we prepared at home always healthy. But some time it is possible that children don;t like all thing. Tea is common drinks at every home. But my son never drink it till the age of 24 years. We never compel or force him to drink it. When he joined bank he begins to drink tea.

Anil, everything depends on the parents. My youngest daughter hates fish, because she has seen how her mother hates fish. Children follow what their parents eat or Bo not eat.

I guess none of you read the article that I gave link for ...

rambabu wrote:

Anil, everything depends on the parents. My youngest daughter hates fish, because she has seen how her mother hates fish. Children follow what their parents eat or Bo not eat.

Right development of eating habits depends on family habits. Except my son we all drink tea, but he begins to drink it only for 3 years.

usha manohar wrote:

I guess none of you read the article that I gave link for ...

I read it well and in fact read the links also...Like why your child is fussy eater and so on.

As a parent counselor, I often face such queries from worried parents who feel that child does not eat enough and they have to force feed. I remember my daughters paediatrician in US who told that never fall for tantrums around food. Children are very smart and they never starve themselves.

As far as allergies are considered, precautions have to be taken and word has to be spread to schools, friends and relatives.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.