Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Before we blindly belief a superstition or ignore them, I think it would be wise to find out how it actually started and follow those which are logical connected with the wellbeing of a person. For instance, in our community a woman who has delivered a child is forbidden to have coriander for around three months and to include vegetables like Indian Malayan Taro in their diet. Science has proved that coriander can cause skin pigmentation called melasma while Taro is iron rich food which are beneficial for them. Another superstition that is followed is regarding the prohibition of certain food among certain clans and sub clans. On going through its origin, it was observed that such prohibition were started to promote conservation 

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
jabeen wrote:

Before we blindly belief a superstition or ignore them, I think it would be wise to find out how it actually started and follow those which are logical connected with the wellbeing of a person. For instance, in our community a woman who has delivered a child is forbidden to have coriander for around three months and to include vegetables like Indian Malayan Taro in their diet. Science has proved that coriander can cause skin pigmentation called melasma while Taro is iron rich food which are beneficial for them. Another superstition that is followed is regarding the prohibition of certain food among certain clans and sub clans. On going through its origin, it was observed that such prohibition were started to promote conservation 

True, the point where is that some practices start with a special purpose depending on the need and necessity of that time. But later people carry on doing the same thing even when there is no need .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

jabeen wrote:
anil wrote:

Without any if but I accepted that I am superstitious. Latest example of it is that I am searching boy for my daughter's marriage but I believed in horoscope match. I refuse some good offers for only reason that horoscope was not mathced. 

It is actually wise to refer to horoscope while arranging marriages. I know many people might feel that it is just a irrational beliefs but science has actually proved its rationality.

If we talk about my community, here people are divided into 7 clans and during marriage we avoid marrying into the same clan as we consider people belonging to same clans as brothers and sisters. Science has proved that marriage between closely related individuals cause inbreeding depression and children born out of such marriage turns out unhealthy. Consulting horoscopes during marriage prevents inbreeding depression.

I totally agree with you Jabeen, in Hindus, the clan thing that you are talking about is referred to as 'gotra' and while arranging marriages, same 'gotra' marriages are not allowed solely because of the reason you mentioned. But in many communities in Andhra Pradesh and I think, not sure, in Karnataka, a girl can be married to her maternal uncle (I know a few examples.) which results in some very serious medical problems in their offspring. Another benefit of consulting horoscopes is also to verify whether the nature of the husband and wife are in harmony with each other and complement the other. So what is the harm in consulting horoscopes?

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Well if you believe then there is no one in this world who can stop you from thinking and believing which doesn't exist in this world only. I hope that we all should concentrated on scientific methods as we are educated.

sdfafa

Babu saroj wrote:

Well if you believe then there is no one in this world who can stop you from thinking and believing which doesn't exist in this world only. I hope that we all should concentrated on scientific methods as we are educated.

That is alright to adopt scientific methods but faith also plays a major role in a person's well being. All we ask for is to seek explanations before doing something and not following anything blindly but also to give some credence to personal faith of others.

Nobody will admit this. But you can know by some indications. somebody wearing extra rings with so called luck stones is obviously superstitious. somebody visiting the holy men and tantriks/ pamists for health/ financial issues is also in the same category. . 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I agree with you. Some of y known friends used  to wear Nava Ratna , that is 9 gems on all the fingers.Even now Politicians consult Religious Gurus and Babas before going for their election Campaigns.

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
jabeen wrote:
anil wrote:

Without any if but I accepted that I am superstitious. Latest example of it is that I am searching boy for my daughter's marriage but I believed in horoscope match. I refuse some good offers for only reason that horoscope was not mathced. 

It is actually wise to refer to horoscope while arranging marriages. I know many people might feel that it is just a irrational beliefs but science has actually proved its rationality.

If we talk about my community, here people are divided into 7 clans and during marriage we avoid marrying into the same clan as we consider people belonging to same clans as brothers and sisters. Science has proved that marriage between closely related individuals cause inbreeding depression and children born out of such marriage turns out unhealthy. Consulting horoscopes during marriage prevents inbreeding depression.

I totally agree with you Jabeen, in Hindus, the clan thing that you are talking about is referred to as 'gotra' and while arranging marriages, same 'gotra' marriages are not allowed solely because of the reason you mentioned. But in many communities in Andhra Pradesh and I think, not sure, in Karnataka, a girl can be married to her maternal uncle (I know a few examples.) which results in some very serious medical problems in their offspring. Another benefit of consulting horoscopes is also to verify whether the nature of the husband and wife are in harmony with each other and complement the other. So what is the harm in consulting horoscopes?

The issue of a girl marrying her maternal uncle is prevalent in many parts of Karnataka and amongst certain communities in my place too. However, a lot of care is taken before such a match gets fixed. Three previous generations are considered to see that there is no overlapping marriages within the extended family during that time involving both sets of parents ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

The height of superstition comes from Andhra Pradesh where the CM T R Chandrasekhar donated jewelry worth 5 crores to Tirupati temple utilising public find .There cannot be anything more shocking than this in a state that is on the verge of a drought and has one of the highest number of farmers committing suicide.

usha manohar wrote:

The height of superstition comes from Andhra Pradesh where the CM T R Chandrasekhar donated jewelry worth 5 crores to Tirupati temple utilising public find .There cannot be anything more shocking than this in a state that is on the verge of a drought and has one of the highest number of farmers committing suicide.

I think that is more a case of trying to gain favours from public rather than any faith or such. It is very shocking to see public money being used for such causes where the only ones who gain are the trustees of the temple. But people who attach importance to religious affairs will not go against such deeds. While on one hand, we see extremism of faith in such incidents and on the other hand, in the name of questioning faith, we see people who advocate atheism and question even the basic human faith and shun everything that has to do with religion and culture. There has to be a balance between two and awareness regarding such donations to 'gods'

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.