Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
jabeen wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
jabeen wrote:

Happy holi to one and all. Starting today we ll be celebrating it for five days

Thank you. I am curious to know that how you celebrate Holi for five days. It is basically a festival of one day then what about the rest of the four days.

On the first day we worship Gauranga Mahaprabhu which is followed by burning of straw hut. From the next day people can play with colours but nowadays except for small children people hardly do that. Instead everyone is busy with sports which are organized at every localities. People in groups also sing devotional songs and it is called Holi pala. At night folk dance called thabal chongba is organized in some localities.

Thank you very much for the detailed description @jabeen. Being Indians we are still so much ignorant about the various customs,traditions and festivals of different regions. After reading your comment I surfed on Google and got to learn more about it. So, you are from Manipur. Holi is known as Yaosang in Manipur, right? Is everything closed for five days in Manipur during this festival? Happy Holi once again. 

shampasaid

In most of the Southern places  either Holi is celebrated for a single day or do not celebrated at all . Some of the regions, Holika effigy is burnt, signifying triumph of good over evil.

Shampa Sadhya wrote:
jabeen wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
jabeen wrote:

Thank you. I am curious to know that how you celebrate Holi for five days. It is basically a festival of one day then what about the rest of the four days.

On the first day we worship Gauranga Mahaprabhu which is followed by burning of straw hut. From the next day people can play with colours but nowadays except for small children people hardly do that. Instead everyone is busy with sports which are organized at every localities. People in groups also sing devotional songs and it is called Holi pala. At night folk dance called thabal chongba is organized in some localities.

Thank you very much for the detailed description @jabeen. Being Indians we are still so much ignorant about the various customs,traditions and festivals of different regions. After reading your comment I surfed on Google and got to learn more about it. So, you are from Manipur. Holi is known as Yaosang in Manipur, right? Is everything closed for five days in Manipur during this festival? Happy Holi once again. 

That is the beauty of our country , Hinduism has imbibed the local customs and become richer ..I like Holi with all its colors and fun filled celebration. I love the filmy songs on Holi too..

Holi re Holi ranging ki toli ..

O holi aayee Holi aayee ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I too like movie songs on Holi. Some of them are Rang Barse from Silsila, Soni Soni from Mohabbatein, etc. I for one Dont like playing Holi. Because, in these days natural colors are not used. Presently, youngsters use colors, in which eye damaging ingredients are present.

Happy Holi to all Boddunan members and their Family Members.

http://www.comparenshop.in

Shampa Sadhya wrote:
jabeen wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
jabeen wrote:

Yeah its known as yaoshang. Its celebrated only by the meitei community members who follow Hinduism. Institutions remain closed on these five days. Even the market look almost deserted.

Thank you said by: Arunima Singh

Mrital community ? Do you mean Metal community ? 

Here in my place, markets  remain open. 

rambabu wrote:

Mrital community ? Do you mean Metal community ? 

Here in my place, markets  remain open. 

What mrital or metal community are you referring to? I was writing about the meitei community who resides in Manipur. Just as we have Gond community in Orissa, Bhil in Madhya pradesh, Santhals in Jharkhand etc, there are different communities residing in Manipur and meitei community is one of them.

Thank you for clearing mu doubt.

usha manohar wrote:

Here is wishing everybody a very happy Holi although we do not celebrate it here ..

Celebrate it next year. if you don't like color's holi play it with flowers. festivals give us happiness and joy, it is not matter that where festival is celebrated and where not. Enjoy it.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.