Many a times I wonder if we are able to assess ourselves the way others do? For senior school and junior college students we have a weekly hour on personality development and career guidance . The students are asked to assess themselves giving their positive and negative qualities. It is rarely that I have come across an honest assessment especially regarding negatives and many a times even their own positive and strong features. Whereas they are able to do a better job while assessing their friends and teachers  .. is it human trait or just a lack or weakness in most of us that make us take things granted about our  own selves 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I agree with you when you say we asses or judge others with a different point of view but our way of thinking changes as soon as it comes to judge ourselves. However, I am used to appraisal, self and others which is an integral part of the corporate world. There is almost no possibility of supplying false self-assessment since everything about everyone is crystal clear for anyone to see and judge. But yes, people tend to hide a lot when they can.   

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

More than trying to hide , I feel that people are unaware of certain traits they possess which may not be very complementary . At the same time ,those with low self esteem tend to look down on themselves thereby not realizing their potential.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I believe that one must make self appraisal honestly so as to bring out strong and weak features. Then it will be possible to make best use of the strong features and either improve the weak features or concentrate on activities that need less of the weak and more of the strong features. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

An honest self analysis is the only way we can assess ourselves accurately which not many people are capable of doing. Even if they did they would not admit it to themselves , find excuses for their shortcomings  

usha manohar wrote:

More than trying to hide , I feel that people are unaware of certain traits they possess which may not be very complementary . At the same time ,those with low self esteem tend to look down on themselves thereby not realizing their potential.

What you said is absolutely true. Many people often do not realise how they appear in other people's eyes. One of my acquaintance tends to have the last word in every discussions. While everyone around her feel that she is argumentative and avoid confrontations with her, she herself feels that she has a good debating skill, that she speaks the truth so others give up their arguments.

Thank you said by: usha manohar, Arunima Singh
jabeen wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

What you said is absolutely true. Many people often do not realise how they appear in other people's eyes. One of my acquaintance tends to have the last word in every discussions. While everyone around her feel that she is argumentative and avoid confrontations with her, she herself feels that she has a good debating skill, that she speaks the truth so others give up their arguments.

There are many such people who tend to dominate a conversation often ridiculing others when they feel that they are losing an argument...I tell my students that debating is more about making a strong and convincing argument about the subject and not against the opponent.

I think to improve self assessment it is better to assess ourselves during a morning or evening walk thinking about our strengths & weaknesses & trying to analyse our success & weaknesses of that day or previous , this way we can easily relate & understand our weaknesses & strengths as we are trying to link that day's actions.

Also that weekly hour class seems to be a very good idea to be implemented in all schools, in this way there will some real progress of the student in terms of growing his personality as a whole.

Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.