There used to be a time when school.children we're discouraged from reading story books because the impression was that , they would neglect their studies. But more and more studies suggest that reading books , fiction or any other sharpens the child's mind and cognitive powers . Personally I have always encouraged my children to read anything that interests them and not limit themselves only to school books, the same with my students. From my experience  , students who are voracious readers are all rounders and score well without much effort.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Being a voracious reader, I ve benefitted tremendously. Whether its learning about the culture and tradition of places that I ve never visited or learning new words or even how to construct a sentence properly, I owe a lot to my reading habit. So I in turn always encourage my nieces and my students to develop reading habit. In fact every year, I take my nieces to the annual book fair and buy them the books of their choice.

Thank you said by: usha manohar

Very rightly said. Reading and writing is very helpful for overall development of brain. If children read various kinds of books, they will become more knowledgeable and all rounder. In our childhood , even we were not allowed to even touch any other books than the syllabus books by our teachers also. Even in the library we were assigned a particular book and we had to read only that.

Thank you said by: usha manohar

@ Jabeen, you are absolutely right , I too have learnt a lot through books and give books as gifts to children.and adults too , those who I know are fond of books.

@ arjun saii - that happens even to this day. I handled the school library one year and was shocked to see how dry and boring the books were and no wonder why children dint show any interest in borrowing.. I did donate some books and also spent that years budget on more interesting books . But while the children were happy , the principal was not so ...some still live in ancient times and think out of a box.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

It has now been proven by science that just like our body needs exercise our mind also needs exercise. Reading and writing are excellent exercises for the brain. When I started doing job after college , after around 4 years I realized that my brain started to become very dull. I was facing difficulty to even write simple sentences or doing calculations . Then I started reading and writing few things daily. I do not spend much time but I make sure to spend at least around 1 hour to read and write on average on daily basis. 

Reading fiction or anything is no doubt the best activity to keep brain in good shape.

Reading is good habit. I also like to reading. Because of reading habit I passed in GK exam, with reading any books of GK.

anil wrote:

Reading is good habit. I also like to reading. Because of reading habit I passed in GK exam, with reading any books of GK.

If your GK is very good, you should also try in KBC sir grinning

arjun sai wrote:

Very rightly said. Reading and writing is very helpful for overall development of brain. If children read various kinds of books, they will become more knowledgeable and all rounder. In our childhood , even we were not allowed to even touch any other books than the syllabus books by our teachers also. Even in the library we were assigned a particular book and we had to read only that.

When students are forced to read only syllabus related or academic books, they develop an apathy towards studying. But those students who read out books tend to be more inquisitive about what they are taught. 

Reading books of interest have always benefited kids and they tend to be more sharper and are more well rounded for sure.

I can totally relate with that. My son is a voracious reader and his personal book collection is more than 250 books and he is only 10 now. He has read Harry Potter several times, is a big fan of Geronimo Stilton and is now going through Percy Jackson series. He also has a lot of books in the series Horrible Histories and horrible Science fiction books and he scores high scores in Maths, Science and EVS without any effort. His vocabulary is also extremely good for kids his age. Compared to him, I see other kids whose mothers refuse to let them read anything besides the usual moral fare of Panchtantra and Jataka tales, those kids hardly have any interest in books of any kind. So it is better to let kids read whatever interests them, nothing is wasted in terms of topics in such books.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

jabeen wrote:
arjun sai wrote:

When students are forced to read only syllabus related or academic books, they develop an apathy towards studying. But those students who read out books tend to be more inquisitive about what they are taught. 

Absolutely , that is what I too feel ... That is where the Western education system has thrived , because the students are far more inquisitive and self confident and less dependent on spoon feeding.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.