Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
usha manohar wrote:

It is amazing to see children coming from totally uneducated backgrounds , developing a keen interest in books and reading. They thirst for knowledge and normally given the right foundation and encouragement , do very well in studies and in their life.

Your post reminds me of a very young woman I met in Rajasthan. She was married when she was just 2 years to her elder sister's younger brother in law. She wasn't allowed to attend school while staying with her family while being taught the household chores. When she attained puberty, she was sent to her husband's place permanently. There watching her neighbours' children going to school, she wanted to learn too. So she used to call the children and made them teach her to write alphabets. Her in laws refused to provide her any learning materials. She used to practice on soil using a small stick or char coal. She was so eager to learn everything and without being bothered with the taunts she faced everyday, she eventually learned to write her name and other details. Hope she has picked up more words by now.

If a person is keen about learning, he or she will always find a way.

jabeen wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

It is amazing to see children coming from totally uneducated backgrounds , developing a keen interest in books and reading. They thirst for knowledge and normally given the right foundation and encouragement , do very well in studies and in their life.

Your post reminds me of a very young woman I met in Rajasthan. She was married when she was just 2 years to her elder sister's younger brother in law. She wasn't allowed to attend school while staying with her family while being taught the household chores. When she attained puberty, she was sent to her husband's place permanently. There watching her neighbours' children going to school, she wanted to learn too. So she used to call the children and made them teach her to write alphabets. Her in laws refused to provide her any learning materials. She used to practice on soil using a small stick or char coal. She was so eager to learn everything and without being bothered with the taunts she faced everyday, she eventually learned to write her name and other details. Hope she has picked up more words by now.

If a person is keen about learning, he or she will always find a way.

That is so inspiring and so apt for the saying " joy of learning". 

Reading books on a variety of subjects other than your course material makes a child grow up in to a more sensible, mature and tolerant adult. You have exposure and awareness to various views and that refines your perception towards life.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

I used to take remedial sessions in my hone for dyslexic and other children who had academic deficit. Many parents kept pressurizing me to develop the skill gaps through their course material as it would help them with their exams too. But I was quite clear that I want to expose them to reading materials other than their course materials. Some parents even took their children out of my class and put them in regular tuition. But those who had trust in me found remarkable changes in their child. I bombarded them with lots of fiction materials, did a lot of activity to churn their imagination and expressions...like writing a letter to character, character sketching,  suggesting a different end to the story, enacting them etc.. Children enjoyed it thoroughly and over a period of time most of their skill gaps in all other academic areas were resolved too. So it actually has benefits that we actually overlook.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, arjun sai, jabeen

It is very noble cause that you are doing such social service. When I hear such example even I am inspired to do these things. But always caught up in life various things. 

Arunima Singh wrote:

I used to take remedial sessions in my hone for dyslexic and other children who had academic deficit. Many parents kept pressurizing me to develop the skill gaps through their course material as it would help them with their exams too. But I was quite clear that I want to expose them to reading materials other than their course materials. Some parents even took their children out of my class and put them in regular tuition. But those who had trust in me found remarkable changes in their child. I bombarded them with lots of fiction materials, did a lot of activity to churn their imagination and expressions...like writing a letter to character, character sketching,  suggesting a different end to the story, enacting them etc.. Children enjoyed it thoroughly and over a period of time most of their skill gaps in all other academic areas were resolved too. So it actually has benefits that we actually overlook.

You are doing great. Parents who are took their children they forget it that if their children is reading fiction book they will take interest in course books in future. If we asked a children of 5-6 years to read article on politics, they will never like to read it. If we ask them to read some jocks or news on game they like it and in future they will also like to read article on politics and other serious matter. We must be focus on developing reading habit in children.

With enough thought and some perseverance , even text books can be made interesting and fun to read rather than being boring and dry. 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

With enough thought and some perseverance , even text books can be made interesting and fun to read rather than being boring and dry. 

Yes it is possible but in India text books change with change of governments.

usha manohar wrote:

This is where the role of those reviewing the curriculum and textbooks become important. Things have improved much nowadays. Compared to the textbooks that were prescribed decades ago, nowadays textbooks are more interesting. Many of them are often accompanied with CD's that provide additional knowledge and contain activities that are fun to do.

jabeen wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

This is where the role of those reviewing the curriculum and textbooks become important. Things have improved much nowadays. Compared to the textbooks that were prescribed decades ago, nowadays textbooks are more interesting. Many of them are often accompanied with CD's that provide additional knowledge and contain activities that are fun to do.

I agree that things are improving but I still feel that focus should be all round rather than on book knowledge only. An all round , balanced development can take place only when a child is provided with the right tools to become an independent thinker.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.