It is often considered that vedic chants have some postive effects and now scientist are knowing that... team of scientists will attempt to find out the answers when they descend on the ancient village of Panjal in Kerala to study the 3,100-year-old Vedic ritual called Athirathram in April.

http://green.in.msn.com/greennews/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4798607&page=0
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
This is interesting post. The link gives detailed description of research contemplated covering diverse branches of Science. But it is doubtful whether the 'experts' are actually scientists. This is apparently a pseudo scientific exercise. So far, nowhere in the world, we witnessed rain or fire through mere chanting. If this were true, the entire world would have derived benefits of getting desired climate just by chanting.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Gulshan, I understand your scepticism on this issue, but it is true that many of our rites such as Yagnas etc. were used to invoke rains. But it is not the mere chants that do it, it is a combination of various elements, the resources used in these yagnas, the procedure and the way these chants are recited that make a difference.
eg. Tansen by sheer prowess of his singing used to lit diyas is no myth, there are many written accounts of his extraordinary feat that prove it! ]

Actually, the vedas, the classical music are all based on scientific theories and hence are useful even today, but provided they are performed in a very disciplined and systematic manner with no shortcuts!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Though I have not yet visited the link but i am a non believer since any thing without logic to me is like eating a delicious looking dish but which is without salt and so tasteless.Since neither I have been able to apply my own reasoning to it nor read anything about it logical, so I remain a non believer.
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
[quote]Gulshan, I understand your scepticism on this issue, but it is true that many of our rites such as Yagnas etc. were used to invoke rains. But it is not the mere chants that do it, it is a combination of various elements, the resources used in these yagnas, the procedure and the way these chants are recited that make a difference.
eg. Tansen by sheer prowess of his singing used to lit diyas is no myth, there are many written accounts of his extraordinary feat that prove it! ]

Actually, the vedas, the classical music are all based on scientific theories and hence are useful even today, but provided they are performed in a very disciplined and systematic manner with no shortcuts![/quote]
But Kalyani, with all the respect to vedas and yagnas etc. we have not seen all these things in our age. If there were hundreds of thosands of examples in the past , why are there no examples today? even Tansen example that you cited has not been proved till date. I think there have been great music maestros even after him but no body has been able to do so.Why?
To my knowledge,there will be impact to the surroundings

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

It is suprising to here this kind of happenings. And also the power of chanting.

Click the below link for news which you can use:NeWsYoUCaNUsE
[quote]But Kalyani, with all the respect to vedas and yagnas etc. we have not seen all these things in our age. If there were hundreds of thosands of examples in the past , why are there no examples today? even Tansen example that you cited has not been proved till date. I think there have been great music maestros even after him but no body has been able to do so.Why? [/quote]

Rajesh, I understand your point of view, but given the circumstances of the decline of our ancient yet, complete traditions, civilization, whatever one may choose to call it, all I can say is the reason for it would be that pure sciences, be that of any discipline, music, architecture, ayurveda so on and so forth, have not remained pure or exact! In over two hundred years of slavery and the turmoil that preceded it, we have only declined in glory and knowledge! Subsequent casteism, blind faith in religious rites, the habit that we grew into of apeing west and adopting them is more or less the reason for it!

But I believe that that vibrations which are produced by chanting mantras create some energy or force which will make things happen in a right way.Also,that's why mass prayers yield positive result(many times and not every time).It increases the positive energy,faith and hope.
[quote]But I believe that that vibrations which are produced by chanting mantras create some energy or force which will make things happen in a right way.Also,that's why mass prayers yield positive result(many times and not every time).It increases the positive energy,faith and hope. [/quote]

Its true Nagalakshmi!

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
[quote]Gulshan, I understand your scepticism on this issue, but it is true that many of our rites such as Yagnas etc. were used to invoke rains. But it is not the mere chants that do it, it is a combination of various elements, the resources used in these yagnas, the procedure and the way these chants are recited that make a difference.

Actually, the vedas, the classical music are all based on scientific theories and hence are useful even today, but provided they are performed in a very disciplined and systematic manner with no shortcuts![/quote]

Vedas or anything else, the chanting is only of words.all words in any language contain nothing but alphabets: consonants and vowels. These make sense only when you understand the language or meaning of the words. These are primarily for communication of ideas. The poems and songs may delight by funny meaning, satire and reasoning. Also reciting in a particular way is pleasure to ears. This is musical affect.

The clouds are not animate and hence, it is unlikely that any musical affect can make them drop water. The process of evaporation of water from sea, forming clouds and rain dropping is water cycle known to students of physics. There is no role of any mantras in this.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.