Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Water transport is cheaper also but this s not adequate to transport goods to interior places on mainland. This can support only coastal cities or those near to sea coasts. Also, this is more time consuming.

As I said we must plan very carefully to utilize transportation of goods like coal, grains etc to other parts of the country reducing pressure on our over trafficked roads. The speed comes to an average of @30km or so which is faster than road transport. A truck starting from Kolkata reaching to Vizag takes as much time as much a cargo ship.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Water transport is cheaper also but this s not adequate to transport goods to interior places on mainland. This can support only coastal cities or those near to sea coasts. Also, this is more time consuming.

As I said we must plan very carefully to utilize transportation of goods like coal, grains etc to other parts of the country reducing pressure on our over trafficked roads. The speed comes to an average of @30km or so which is faster than road transport. A truck starting from Kolkata reaching to Vizag takes as much time as much a cargo ship.

It is okay to use ocean route for coastal cities. I said this in my post. But most of our places are far from coasts.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

India is blessed with a long coastline. I reside in a coastal place. In my place both river and sea transport are in vogue. Many of the operators are private people. They are being used by the Tourism department of my state AP. Some places are not accessible by any transport mode except water transport.

India is blessed with a long coastline. I reside in a coastal place. In my place both river and sea transport are in vogue. Many of the operators are private people. They are being used by the Tourism department of my state AP. Some places are not accessible by any transport mode except water transport.

Water way is best for coastal cities. This is true about passenger as well as goods traffic. But this is a big limitation. Most places are far away from coast line.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: suni51

Water way is best for coastal cities. This is true about passenger as well as goods traffic. But this is a big limitation. Most places are far away from coast line.

Many big cities in eastern, southern and western sectors are within easy reach of coastal line. We can use these such cities for warehousing purpose. We have very limited facilities for storage of grains and other produce which rots in the fields or open areas.

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Yes that would be better. I remember long way back it was said that there should be someway we could connect all rivers so that no state have a situation like flood or draught but that all need lots of money. I still feel that would be a better idea to use water ways but I am not sure if that would lead to more water pollution and would adversly effect aquatic animals. :blink:
I heard someone asked this in a public meeting that why we do not have a waterways network while 2/3 of our country is surrounded by three different seas. That could have saved us from overload on our roads. Better connectivity and another network besides railway and road transport. Do you think a cargo carrier from Mumbai- Vizag rout was not a good possibility?

There are many small shipping and freighter vessels carrying cargo from eastern ports to the western ports, this is one of the reasons why the ramsetu would become much more useful by saving time and distance.Of course one can increase this by connecting the rivers as well , like it has been done in Calcutta where ships go interiors on Brahmaputra...

I understand that there are few projects in eastern sector in rivers like Allahabad, Patna, Varanasi -kolkata transport service but these are only small vessels possible in rivers. I am looking forward for full fledged waterways services through seas.

Backwaters are being maintained in states like Kerala and Karnataka and being used to transport building materials , tiles ,sand etc through large boats and other vessels , but one can utilise this to a greater extent by connecting the rivers at least in coastal areas because the topography is such that all the rivers cannot be controlled unless they make locks which is a very expensive proposition...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: suni51, Sanjeev Gupta
I heard someone asked this in a public meeting that why we do not have a waterways network while 2/3 of our country is surrounded by three different seas. That could have saved us from overload on our roads. Better connectivity and another network besides railway and road transport. Do you think a cargo carrier from Mumbai- Vizag rout was not a good possibility?

There are many small shipping and freighter vessels carrying cargo from eastern ports to the western ports, this is one of the reasons why the ramsetu would become much more useful by saving time and distance.Of course one can increase this by connecting the rivers as well , like it has been done in Calcutta where ships go interiors on Brahmaputra...

I understand that there are few projects in eastern sector in rivers like Allahabad, Patna, Varanasi -kolkata transport service but these are only small vessels possible in rivers. I am looking forward for full fledged waterways services through seas.

Backwaters are being maintained in states like Kerala and Karnataka and being used to transport building materials , tiles ,sand etc through large boats and other vessels , but one can utilise this to a greater extent by connecting the rivers at least in coastal areas because the topography is such that all the rivers cannot be controlled unless they make locks which is a very expensive proposition...

I agree- to connect all river would be a lengthy and involving big finance, therefore to start with costal lines available in 2/3 of India would be a better choice.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.