Hard to believe that Indians who have settled into UK are forcing their children to get married at a very early age, while still in school, but it is happening! :blink: The UK authorities are now raising an alert over it!

I used to think that it was still an issue prevalent mostly in rural areas but Indians are carrying this mentality too far!!

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/1872716/report-uk-issues-forced-marriage-alert-during-school-holidays

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
:ohmy: :ohmy: Thats horrible

It is mentioned as 8% for India...I hope this is not true, it could be more

But, after the 'forced marriage', are they allowed back to UK with their spouses? And coming to the question of teens, are more girls forced to marry or guys?

On a lighter note, reminds me of Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge movie...

Swetha Shenoy

But, after the 'forced marriage', are they allowed back to UK with their spouses? And coming to the question of teens, are more girls forced to marry or guys?

Hi Swetha good to see you after a long time!

It is most likely that it is only the girls who are forced to marry at such a young age and they are probably left in India with their in-laws. Although it is not stated here but I had read a magazine article on this very issue, there was also a programme on History or Nat Geo channel, not sure where, they had shown a report on this issue. It involves Sikh families more in such cases and like you said, the statistics may be more than 8% because some such marriages might not be getting reported at all!
mysmiley1.gif (You do not have access to download this file.)

Hi Swetha good to see you after a long time!

It is most likely that it is only the girls who are forced to marry at such a young age and they are probably left in India with their in-laws. Although it is not stated here but I had read a magazine article on this very issue, there was also a programme on History or Nat Geo channel, not sure where, they had shown a report on this issue. It involves Sikh families more in such cases and like you said, the statistics may be more than 8% because some such marriages might not be getting reported at all!

yes, i have also observed that many Sikh familes fall prey to such things. But i have seen that the NRI guys just marries the girl and goes away leaving her helpless. A case was shown even in Satyamev jayte on star plus

But the forced marriages among teens is something i rarely heard. I have friends who are NRI's and they came to India for 15 Days just to get married and took their spouse along with them..

Swetha Shenoy
There is a proverb in Punjabi- One who is bad in Rawalpindi will be same in Lahore. So, Indian attitude towards marriage will be same irrespective of location.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
There is a proverb in Punjabi- One who is bad in Rawalpindi will be same in Lahore. So, Indian attitude towards marriage will be same irrespective of location.

True! But is does seem quite unfortunate to see that the children born in UK are made to comply with norms that are prevalent in India, making them really unhappy in life. Some of them might be adjusting to the new mindset with some or no difficulty but in general, they must be facing much hardships in the new life!

Hard to believe that Indians who have settled into UK are forcing their children to get married at a very early age, while still in school, but it is happening! :blink: The UK authorities are now raising an alert over it!

I used to think that it was still an issue prevalent mostly in rural areas but Indians are carrying this mentality too far!!

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/1872716/report-uk-issues-forced-marriage-alert-during-school-holidays

Very true ! marriage bureaus are thriving in UK and the Punjabi and Gujrati community who are in majority there go through the same practices as they do here. There is a TV channel 4 which in fact has a discussion once a week where counselling is done and such issues are tackled by experts . There are many complications arising out of such situations where the parents look for a groom from India and the girl has been brought up in the relatively more open atmosphere of UK and imbibed all its values , the boy may be from jalandhar or soorat and relatively at a different level altogether ,the difference between their thinking is far too much, so they start having problems straight away..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Very true ! marriage bureaus are thriving in UK and the Punjabi and Gujrati community who are in majority there go through the same practices as they do here. There is a TV channel 4 which in fact has a discussion once a week where counselling is done and such issues are tackled by experts . There are many complications arising out of such situations where the parents look for a groom from India and the girl has been brought up in the relatively more open atmosphere of UK and imbibed all its values , the boy may be from jalandhar or soorat and relatively at a different level altogether ,the difference between their thinking is far too much, so they start having problems straight away..

The parents have settled in UK for their livelihood and the children are born their, but the parents still want their children to follow the Indian lifestyle and values that are in glaring contradiction with that in UK. A big problem since children are exposed to UK lifestyle all of their growing up lives!

Early marriage for both boys and girls should not be encouraged and that too forced marriages is not tolerable. Believe the parents of Indian born UK boys and girls are afraid that their sons / daughters will get married to UK citizens and hence they are forcing their children to get married soon to Indian born citizens.

The parents have settled in UK for their livelihood and the children are born their, but the parents still want their children to follow the Indian lifestyle and values that are in glaring contradiction with that in UK. A big problem since children are exposed to UK lifestyle all of their growing up lives!

The funny thing is that parents never once think about the mental compatibility along with other aspects like status ,caste and looks....Earlier women suffered because they had no other go and accepted it as fate when things dint go well, but now things wont work that way...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

The funny thing is that parents never once think about the mental compatibility along with other aspects like status ,caste and looks....Earlier women suffered because they had no other go and accepted it as fate when things dint go well, but now things wont work that way...

Probably because the parents still want to cling to the age-old traditions from India in the name of preserving their ethnicity and culture. But they forget or are not willing to digest the fact that the children find that quite alien and are unwilling to lead a subdued life which is quite in contradiction with the lives their British peers lead.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.