Is it the right time to discuss the relevance of Article 370? Will its removal lead to separation of J&K State from the Indian Union as is claimed by many experts?
1_2012-07-17.jpg (You do not have access to download this file.)
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Is it the right time to discuss the relevance of Article 370? Will its removal lead to separation of J&K State from the Indian Union as is claimed by many experts?

How about entrusting the relevance and irrelevance of article 370 to the newly formed government ?
No way repealment of Article 370 will have any imact on J&K. It is due to this article, the state is in controversy and has a special status to this state far different from other similar state of India. Due to this article many popular government policies are not applicable in this state such as reservation of SC and St and many shcemes, for this it is essential to remove this article and make J&K similar state as rest of India states.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Article 370 cannot be repealed without Constitutional amendment which has to follow after J&K Assembly passes a merger resolution by two thirds majority. The latter is not going to be esay and moves in this direction can lead to hardening of attitudes and increased militant activities in the Valley. But yes a discussion can be initiated.
So far article 370 has benefitted only the Abdullah family and no one else, neither the Kashmiri Muslims nor Pandits have benefitted from it. So one really wonders whether it is really required. If the new PM has taken up its issue immediately upon his taking charge, there must be something in taking it off, after all!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Article 370 defines special status of j & K. But this is not basis of merger of the state with India. The treaty of accession signed by then Maharaja of J & K is the basis of accession to India. Now J & K is an integral part of India.

Let me refer to my article on the topic.

http://www.boddunan.com/articles/miscellaneous/51-general-reference/23202-relevance-of-article-370-granting-special-status-to-j-k.html

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Article 370 defines special status of j & K. But this is not basis of merger of the state with India. The treaty of accession signed by then Maharaja of J & K is the basis of accession to India. Now J & K is an integral part of India.

Let me refer to my article on the topic.

http://www.boddunan.com/articles/miscellaneous/51-general-reference/23202-relevance-of-article-370-granting-special-status-to-j-k.html

Very true...like you have mentioned in your article, much water has flown from the river Jhelum since 1947, we are not living in those times, nor are the Kashmiris, so there is no need for article 370 and removing it will not supposedly pose threat of its removal from India. If anything, it will bring the state more closer to the rest of the country.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani, usha manohar
But the Maharaja signed the accession treaty with a number of conditions which the then Government of India including Sardar Patel accepted and these are enshrined in the Constitution. Sheikh Abdullah had nothing to do with it. The accession to India or Pakistan was solely to be decided by the Kings in their kingdoms. Pl do not blame Sheikh Abdullah as he was a forward looking politician and it was because of him that J&K did not opt for Pakistan. Subsequent mis-handling are giving a totally different picture than is real. It may surprise many to know that Kashmir is one of the States in India high on personal incomes, in spite of the troubles it is facing. The real villain is Pakistan and not Article 370. Fight Pakistan not 370. If you win then 370 will collapse automatically. But reverse will not be true/

Article 370 was supposed to be a temporary measure and there have been changes made to it earlier...The so called experts who claim that J&K may get seperated ought to think that Kashmir has and will always be a part of India and comes under Indian government rule...anything else anyone else including Pakistanis say is immaterial...IF at all any concrete steps can be taken it would be Modi who has the capacity to do so, and I sincerely hope he goes ahead and does something abut it..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

From a position of strength looks plausible, only time will tell.
The state of J & K is inseparable part of India owing to merger treaty and not article 370 of the constitution. Article 370 is internal matter. It is fallacious to say that article 370 is the basis of merger of the princely state of J & K.

I feel that many ignore the fact that Jammu & Kashmir does not mean only Kashmir. The people of Jammu region (Dogras), Ladakh (Ladakhi Budddhists) have also stake in the issue. Often you remember only Kashmir valley and ignore Jammu Division and Ladakh. I am sure that people of Jammu as well as Ladakh will like to repeal article 370. There could be dispute only in Kashmir. It is unfortunate that certain leaders of J & K speak as spokespersons of Kashmir only and forget that Jammu and Ladakh are also in the state.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: usha manohar, Kalyani Nandurkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.