When the feet touching and hypocrisy has become an integral part of Politico culture, Modi, the PM advised his sympathizers and party men to refrain from this practice.
http://www.rediff.com/news/report/dont-touch-my-feet-but-work-hard-to-show-respect-modi/20140606.htm
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
When the feet touching and hypocrisy has become an integral part of Politico culture, Modi, the PM advised his sympathizers and party men to refrain from this practice.
http://www.rediff.com/news/report/dont-touch-my-feet-but-work-hard-to-show-respect-modi/20140606.htm

The practice is so deeply ingrained in many communities and among politicians that it is next to impossible it will go away. It is seen as a mark of respect and not necessarily an act of hypocrisy. Modi himself does it with Advani and other elders.

The practice is so deeply ingrained in many communities and among politicians that it is next to impossible it will go away. It is seen as a mark of respect and not necessarily an act of hypocrisy. Modi himself does it with Advani and other elders.

I agree, feet touching is a mark of respect in our tradition. But sadly it has been abused. Even if Modi does it,it's a bad practice. Of course, I mean it in political circles.
Touching feet is the tradition and a way of paying respects to elders. But sadly, it is being used by many as a substitute for real work. Modi's advice should make the sycophants see that touching feet will be of no use now! :woohoo:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Touching feet is the tradition and a way of paying respects to elders. But sadly, it is being used by many as a substitute for real work. Modi's advice should make the sycophants see that touching feet will be of no use now! :woohoo:

True. The real intention of Modi is to put his heart in clear terms nothing works other than Work.

True. The real intention of Modi is to put his heart in clear terms nothing works other than Work.

Until now, people had become rather used to not working because they got all sorts of subsidies and free meals and the politicians could get away with little bit of boot licking. Both these scenarios seemingly now are on the verge of changing, for good! :whistle:

In my community there is no culture of touching feet. However I grew up in an are where touching feet was the culture. I distinctly have seen the face of elders register anger and disappointment if I did not touch their feet. I used to be confused as to am I supposed to do so. It was expected of every one to do so. Thankfully there is a growing awareness that the practice needs to be eliminated as it does not gel with today's India.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

In my community there is no culture of touching feet. However I grew up in an are where touching feet was the culture. I distinctly have seen the face of elders register anger and disappointment if I did not touch their feet. I used to be confused as to am I supposed to do so. It was expected of every one to do so. Thankfully there is a growing awareness that the practice needs to be eliminated as it does not gel with today's India.

True. In my community too the practice of touching feet is not much prevalent. We join both the hands and say "Namaskar". Anyhow, actions are more important than body gestures.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

True. In my community too the practice of touching feet is not much prevalent. We join both the hands and say "Namaskar". Anyhow, actions are more important than body gestures.

Touching feet as a way of paying respects basically is practiced to make people understand importance of humility and that no matter what they do, they must always remain with their feet on the ground. But like all other practices, this practice too has been linked up with irrational ego and importance and in most marriage ceremonies, the bride or her family members having failed to touch feet of someone from the groom's family has led to a breakup even before the marriage took place. False pride, what else! But like so many things, this practice too should be taken off as it does not gel well with today's world neither does it teach basic human values as it was designed to do.

Touching feet as a way of paying respects basically is practiced to make people understand importance of humility and that no matter what they do, they must always remain with their feet on the ground. But like all other practices, this practice too has been linked up with irrational ego and importance and in most marriage ceremonies, the bride or her family members having failed to touch feet of someone from the groom's family has led to a breakup even before the marriage took place. False pride, what else! But like so many things, this practice too should be taken off as it does not gel well with today's world neither does it teach basic human values as it was designed to do.

It is used more for ego satisfaction and telling who are the one's who matter and also as a means of power and domination. Just imagine a breakup because some one's feet where not touched by the poor bride. Time the practice should go away. Next time Modi should not touch Advani's feet.

It is used more for ego satisfaction and telling who are the one's who matter and also as a means of power and domination. Just imagine a breakup because some one's feet where not touched by the poor bride. Time the practice should go away. Next time Modi should not touch Advani's feet.

There is nothing wrong in Modi's touching the feet of Advani. Because, it's not a gesture to win the favor of Advani, but to say firmly that, " it's not mere gesture, but a prelude to Action." Advani and the country know about this.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.