The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
A classical and ancient language like Sanskrit may not be in use. But they can never be dead too.

What is not in use is 'dead'. A living language is one which is spoken by people. since Sanskrit is not spoken in any region of world, this is dead, whether you like it or not. Also there is nothing derogatory about a language being dead. There are may other dead languages in the world.

I'd rather prefer to say "Obsolete" for that which is not in use. Still universities like Venkateswara are conducting schools in Sanskrit. And the medium of studies is Sanskrit for studying Vedic Studies. Do you think a university conducts courses without students? And those classes are attended by scholars not only from India but also from many foreign countries.

even a dead language or 'obsolete' if you like is studied. But the fact remains that sanskrit is of use only to scholars, Hindu clergy, astrolgers, Ayurveda medicine practioners or otherwise interested in ancient history. For general public, Sanskrit is practically of no use. If so, is there even a single Sanskrit language newspaper in India? Is Sanskrit medium of instruction in any university? Have you ever heard anyone talking in sanskrit? This will imply that Sanskrit is dead language or you may instead use the term 'pbsolete' if you so prefer. Any way, this means the same.

Dead means non existence. Disappearing from the scenario. Yes Sanskrit is studied mostly by scholars only to translate them in to other languages so that all can have the opportunity of knowing the ancient quintessence. Whats wrong with it ?

Again what is not in use is non existent and dead. You may use any word for your satisfaction. we also study many dead things including history. What is studied by scholars only and not in use by people is dead. Many animals lived millions of years ago and we study abot them. But we can't describe them as 'living'.

Are scholars not people ? It's due to such scholars, we are able to see the most precious knowledge of India. We all should be thankful to those scholars .
A classical and ancient language like Sanskrit may not be in use. But they can never be dead too.

What is not in use is 'dead'. A living language is one which is spoken by people. since Sanskrit is not spoken in any region of world, this is dead, whether you like it or not. Also there is nothing derogatory about a language being dead. There are may other dead languages in the world.

I'd rather prefer to say "Obsolete" for that which is not in use. Still universities like Venkateswara are conducting schools in Sanskrit. And the medium of studies is Sanskrit for studying Vedic Studies. Do you think a university conducts courses without students? And those classes are attended by scholars not only from India but also from many foreign countries.

even a dead language or 'obsolete' if you like is studied. But the fact remains that sanskrit is of use only to scholars, Hindu clergy, astrolgers, Ayurveda medicine practioners or otherwise interested in ancient history. For general public, Sanskrit is practically of no use. If so, is there even a single Sanskrit language newspaper in India? Is Sanskrit medium of instruction in any university? Have you ever heard anyone talking in sanskrit? This will imply that Sanskrit is dead language or you may instead use the term 'pbsolete' if you so prefer. Any way, this means the same.

Dead means non existence. Disappearing from the scenario. Yes Sanskrit is studied mostly by scholars only to translate them in to other languages so that all can have the opportunity of knowing the ancient quintessence. Whats wrong with it ?

Again what is not in use is non existent and dead. You may use any word for your satisfaction. we also study many dead things including history. What is studied by scholars only and not in use by people is dead. Many animals lived millions of years ago and we study abot them. But we can't describe them as 'living'.

Are scholars not people ? It's due to such scholars, we are able to see the most precious knowledge of India. We all should be thankful to those scholars .

You may thank the scholars and also appreciate them. They are also part of people. But when we talk of common people, we have to consider vast majority and masses and not select few of some variety. Okay. I hope this ends.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You may thank the scholars and also appreciate them. They are also part of people. But when we talk of common people, we have to consider vast majority and masses and not select few of some variety. Okay. I hope this ends.

It's for the advantage of common people scholars are studying Sanskrit. Where from do you think the immense knowledge of Astronomy, mathematics and many fields would have come which are now being used in ISRO and other scientific institutions without these scholars?
I am not commenting on the scholars and also the source of knowledge of ISRO etc. You also say that 'scholars' study for 'common men'.. So you have also differentiated between 'scholars' and 'common men'. 'common men' do not use 'Sanskrit'. That is all that matters to characterize the language as 'dead' or 'obsolete'. I don't know whether ISRO and other scientific institutios give any credit to these scholars or they give credit only to their study obtained through medium of English in India or abroad.

Sanskrit may be considered dead in India..but in CBSE schools as far as know, it was part of the school curriculum, please correct me if I am wrong. In fact, in some schools in UK Sanskrit Sanskrit is made a compulsory subject. In this way, Sanskrit is on the way to revival even if it is considered dead, obsolete
In UK at derbyshire and gloustershire where Sanskrit is made compulsory subject for students as it is the most easiest language to create computing codes and it refines language through honorable speaking manners.

http://mohanmekap.com/

I am not commenting on the scholars and also the source of knowledge of ISRO etc. You also say that 'scholars' study for 'common men'.. So you have also differentiated between 'scholars' and 'common men'. 'common men' do not use 'Sanskrit'. That is all that matters to characterize the language as 'dead' or 'obsolete'. I don't know whether ISRO and other scientific institutios give any credit to these scholars or they give credit only to their study obtained through medium of English in India or abroad.

The very christening of the first missile was named Arya Bhata.. Not only ISRO entire space technology is based on Arya bhata's astronomy written in Sanskrit. Because of these scholars and those scholars who studied them and passed on to the next generations. It doesn't matter who studies Sanskrit common man or scholar. What all matters is to know the contents of the ancient technology. If the common man is willing no body is stopping him.

The very christening of the first missile was named Arya Bhata.. Not only ISRO entire space technology is based on Arya bhata's astronomy written in Sanskrit. Because of these scholars and those scholars who studied them and passed on to the next generations. It doesn't matter who studies Sanskrit common man or scholar. What all matters is to know the contents of the ancient technology. If the common man is willing no body is stopping him.

It was only a simple statement that common man does not use Sanskrit and this is not spoken anywhere. Other issues are extraneous. Now the other issue. There is no doubt that India had a rich heritage in ancient knowledge contained in Sanskrit about astronomy. It is also true that our spaceship was names Arya Bhat.

But the current knowledge in space research is not derived from ancient India or Sanskrit. Astronomy has grown independently in west and not derived from Sanskrit. In fact, there is not any space scientist in India or world who would have got his knowledge through ancient India route. All the space scientists and astronauts have been trained in English medium and imparted knowledge obtained by modern scientists.

Also any of the Sanskrit scholar is not astronomer. Rather, any Sanskrit scholar is not even a scientist. Let us not fancy things during this Sanskrit euporea arising out of proposed Sanskrit week. .

It was only a simple statement that common man does not use Sanskrit and this is not spoken anywhere. Other issues are extraneous. Now the other issue. There is no doubt that India had a rich heritage in ancient knowledge contained in Sanskrit about astronomy. It is also true that our spaceship was names Arya Bhat.

But the current knowledge in space research is not derived from ancient India or Sanskrit. Astronomy has grown independently in west and not derived from Sanskrit. In fact, there is not any space scientist in India or world who would have got his knowledge through ancient India route. All the space scientists and astronauts have been trained in English medium and imparted knowledge obtained by modern scientists.

Also any of the Sanskrit scholar is not astronomer. Rather, any Sanskrit scholar is not even a scientist. Let us not fancy things during this Sanskrit euporea arising out of proposed Sanskrit week. .

But I cannot ignore my roots. Sanskrit is the maintstay if India because of which we earned an identity.
Unfortunately because of invasions the Sanskrit tree's roots have got uprooted and very few people are interested in its fruits. However I am for celebrating the Sanskrit week and remembering the mother of almost all Indian languages. TN politicians can't tolerate even one week- they feel so threatened even from a "dead' language.

Sanskrit may be considered dead in India..but in CBSE schools as far as know, it was part of the school curriculum, please correct me if I am wrong. In fact, in some schools in UK Sanskrit Sanskrit is made a compulsory subject. In this way, Sanskrit is on the way to revival even if it is considered dead, obsolete
In UK at derbyshire and gloustershire where Sanskrit is made compulsory subject for students as it is the most easiest language to create computing codes and it refines language through honorable speaking manners.

Whatever the case may be, the fact is that in a foreign land our language is accepted, learned, and welcomed but sadly opposed by many in our country.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.