The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
A classical and ancient language like Sanskrit may not be in use. But they can never be dead too.

What is not in use is 'dead'. A living language is one which is spoken by people. since Sanskrit is not spoken in any region of world, this is dead, whether you like it or not. Also there is nothing derogatory about a language being dead. There are may other dead languages in the world.

I'd rather prefer to say "Obsolete" for that which is not in use. Still universities like Venkateswara are conducting schools in Sanskrit. And the medium of studies is Sanskrit for studying Vedic Studies. Do you think a university conducts courses without students? And those classes are attended by scholars not only from India but also from many foreign countries.

even a dead language or 'obsolete' if you like is studied. But the fact remains that sanskrit is of use only to scholars, Hindu clergy, astrolgers, Ayurveda medicine practioners or otherwise interested in ancient history. For general public, Sanskrit is practically of no use. If so, is there even a single Sanskrit language newspaper in India? Is Sanskrit medium of instruction in any university? Have you ever heard anyone talking in sanskrit? This will imply that Sanskrit is dead language or you may instead use the term 'pbsolete' if you so prefer. Any way, this means the same.

Sanskrit may be considered dead in India..but in CBSE schools as far as know, it was part of the school curriculum, please correct me if I am wrong. In fact, in some schools in UK Sanskrit Sanskrit is made a compulsory subject. In this way, Sanskrit is on the way to revival even if it is considered dead, obsolete
In UK at derbyshire and gloustershire where Sanskrit is made compulsory subject for students as it is the most easiest language to create computing codes and it refines language through honorable speaking manners.

Whatever the case may be, the fact is that in a foreign land our language is accepted, learned, and welcomed but sadly opposed by many in our country.

Any language- Sanskrit or even foreign language- is not opposed. There will always be some students for any language. But our resources are limited and it will be waste of funds, energy and man power to overstress Sanskrit- obsolete or dead. We must call spade a spade. The fact remains that Sanskrit is no more a living language and its role is limited to religious functions. Possibly, Desi astrologers may have some use for the language. Even the modern Ayurvedic medcine experts do not know Sanskrit. But still they are practisng well. You don't need to learn German for Homoeopathy. similarly, Sanskrit is not required even for Ayurvedic medicine.

You are talking about the present position. Who translated the first Sushruta Samhita first from Sanskrit ?Had that not been there, you wouldn't have Ayutveda today.

Nobody is denying due credit to Sanskrit. But we live in present and have to decide strategy and policy according to current conditions.

Today Sanskrit is listed as one of the 22 scheduled languages of India. Had it been a dead language, why it could get a place in the eigth schedule?

Inclusion in any schedule cannot convert any language to 'living'. Although dead, this is Indian and hence included in the schedule. If living and not dead, please intimate in which state or even district Sanskrit is spoken. Sanskrit is taught as a language but is this also medium of instruction in any school. Incidentally, our ministers shushma Swaraj and Harsh Vardhan took oath in Sanskrit. But why are they using english and not Sanskrit in parliamentary discussion. Insisting on Sanskrit still as 'living language' is nothing more than a mother monkey clinging to dead body of monkey child.

Sanskrit is the official language of Uttarakhand. Please refer Eighth schedule.

Uttrakhand was formed by bifurcating Uttar Pradesh. Hindi is only used for official purpose. I have been there many times. I have also served in Roorkee and visited places like Haridwar, Rishikesh, Dehradun. so far, I never saw anyone talking in Sanskrit. However Uttrakhand is described as 'Deva Bhoomi' by many and so the invisible devata or gods may be rsiding there and speaking in deva Bhasha Sanskrit. But all humans in that state including Governmet offices work in Hindi only. If any one declared Sanskrit as offcicial language of the state, this is certainly very ridiculous and fanatic- only to promote the so called Hindutva and scriptures.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

A classical and ancient language like Sanskrit may not be in use. But they can never be dead too.

What is not in use is 'dead'. A living language is one which is spoken by people. since Sanskrit is not spoken in any region of world, this is dead, whether you like it or not. Also there is nothing derogatory about a language being dead. There are may other dead languages in the world.

I'd rather prefer to say "Obsolete" for that which is not in use. Still universities like Venkateswara are conducting schools in Sanskrit. And the medium of studies is Sanskrit for studying Vedic Studies. Do you think a university conducts courses without students? And those classes are attended by scholars not only from India but also from many foreign countries.

even a dead language or 'obsolete' if you like is studied. But the fact remains that sanskrit is of use only to scholars, Hindu clergy, astrolgers, Ayurveda medicine practioners or otherwise interested in ancient history. For general public, Sanskrit is practically of no use. If so, is there even a single Sanskrit language newspaper in India? Is Sanskrit medium of instruction in any university? Have you ever heard anyone talking in sanskrit? This will imply that Sanskrit is dead language or you may instead use the term 'pbsolete' if you so prefer. Any way, this means the same.

Sanskrit may be considered dead in India..but in CBSE schools as far as know, it was part of the school curriculum, please correct me if I am wrong. In fact, in some schools in UK Sanskrit Sanskrit is made a compulsory subject. In this way, Sanskrit is on the way to revival even if it is considered dead, obsolete
In UK at derbyshire and gloustershire where Sanskrit is made compulsory subject for students as it is the most easiest language to create computing codes and it refines language through honorable speaking manners.

Whatever the case may be, the fact is that in a foreign land our language is accepted, learned, and welcomed but sadly opposed by many in our country.

Any language- Sanskrit or even foreign language- is not opposed. There will always be some students for any language. But our resources are limited and it will be waste of funds, energy and man power to overstress Sanskrit- obsolete or dead. We must call spade a spade. The fact remains that Sanskrit is no more a living language and its role is limited to religious functions. Possibly, Desi astrologers may have some use for the language. Even the modern Ayurvedic medcine experts do not know Sanskrit. But still they are practisng well. You don't need to learn German for Homoeopathy. similarly, Sanskrit is not required even for Ayurvedic medicine.

You are talking about the present position. Who translated the first Sushruta Samhita first from Sanskrit ?Had that not been there, you wouldn't have Ayutveda today.

Nobody is denying due credit to Sanskrit. But we live in present and have to decide strategy and policy according to current conditions.

Today Sanskrit is listed as one of the 22 scheduled languages of India. Had it been a dead language, why it could get a place in the eigth schedule?

Inclusion in any schedule cannot convert any language to 'living'. Although dead, this is Indian and hence included in the schedule. If living and not dead, please intimate in which state or even district Sanskrit is spoken. Sanskrit is taught as a language but is this also medium of instruction in any school. Incidentally, our ministers shushma Swaraj and Harsh Vardhan took oath in Sanskrit. But why are they using english and not Sanskrit in parliamentary discussion. Insisting on Sanskrit still as 'living language' is nothing more than a mother monkey clinging to dead body of monkey child.

Uttrakhand was formed by bifurcating Uttar Pradesh. Hindi is only used for official purpose. I have been there many times. I have also served in Roorkee and visited places like Haridwar, Rishikesh, Dehradun. so far, I never saw anyone talking in Sanskrit. However Uttrakhand is described as 'Deva Bhoomi' by many and so the invisible devata or gods may be rsiding there and speaking in deva Bhasha Sanskrit. But all humans in that state including Governmet offices work in Hindi only. If any one declared Sanskrit as offcicial language of the state, this is certainly very ridiculous and fanatic- only to promote the so called Hindutva and scriptures.

That is the problem Devas and humans are not speaking in one language !!!
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

But Eigth schwdule is not ridiculous. It may be your personal view.. But the reality is something else which is there for all of us to see.

But Eigth schwdule is not ridiculous. It may be your personal view.. But the reality is something else which is there for all of us to see.

I don't say that the schedule is ridiculous. But it is ridiculous to declare a dead and ineffective language not spoken anywhere as official language. This is a fanatic act.

I don't say that the schedule is ridiculous. But it is ridiculous to declare a dead and ineffective language not spoken anywhere as official language. This is a fanatic act.

That's why I said you are entitled to have your view.

Thank you. Incidentally, Sanskrit was recently decaled as second official language of Uttrakhand wit Hindi as the main official language. Such declaration is for 'promoting Sanskrit' and has been doe on suggestion of education department. Thus this declaration as 'official language' is not for doing official work in government offices. This is only for promoting the language. As such the tag 'official language' is misnomer. This is just like 'Urdu' as second language' in U.P. though government work is in Hindi- te main official language. I also hold that you are entitled to your views but I also have strong feeling that the views should be based on ground reality.

Thank you. Incidentally, Sanskrit was recently decaled as second official language of Uttrakhand wit Hindi as the main official language. Such declaration is for 'promoting Sanskrit' and has been doe on suggestion of education department. Thus this declaration as 'official language' is not for doing official work in government offices. This is only for promoting the language. As such the tag 'official language' is misnomer. This is just like 'Urdu' as second language' in U.P. though government work is in Hindi- te main official language. I also hold that you are entitled to your views but I also have strong feeling that the views should be based on ground reality.

Welcome. In this regard I beg to differ with you. Then it's my personal view.
Everybody is entitled to voice their opinion and agree or disagree with observing Sanskrit week or not. However, even if Sanskrit has been given the status of second official language in Uttarakhand it is for good and for reviving it back.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

What I wanted to drive home was Sanskrit is around us. uPSC allows to answer its exams in any of the languages enlisted in the Eighth Schedule in which Sanskrit is also there.
Everybody is entitled to voice their opinion and agree or disagree with observing Sanskrit week or not. However, even if Sanskrit has been given the status of second official language in Uttarakhand it is for good and for reviving it back.

Mausami Ghosh. If you wish to give respect and promote a language, you should not make mockery. Obviously, Uttarakhand Government cannot work in Sanskrit and cannot even publish any government notification in Sanskrit. What is the meaning of 'official language'. Main or second, government work should be done in that language. I am sure that Uttarakhand Government does not issue any letter or Notifiation in sanskrit. You may confirm this by visiting official site of Government of Uttarakhand. Thus designation of sanskrit as official language is in fact misnomer as well as mockery. The Government of Uttarakhand has created a very anomolous position and made mockery of Sanskrit. This is not 'honor' but a cruel joke. This is indeed very ridiculous.

I am giving link of Government of Uttarakhand. Please discover if they have issued any single notification in Sanskrit. If not, declaring Sanskrit as 'offcial language' is ridiculous.

http://uk.gov.in/home/index1

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.