Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
It is really unfortunate..and the death toll is on the rise..about 150 are still buried. It is Ambegaon...though I haven't visited this village...but have been to Bhimashankar. The scenic beauty ..the stretch from Pune to Bhimashankar was really awesome!

Very true..that entire strip is breathtakingly beautiful and amazing! You live in Pune too? Which part?

Yeah a Puneite for the last 5-6 years...right now in Hadapsar? What about you Kalyani?

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

It is really unfortunate..and the death toll is on the rise..about 150 are still buried. It is Ambegaon...though I haven't visited this village...but have been to Bhimashankar. The scenic beauty ..the stretch from Pune to Bhimashankar was really awesome!

Very true..that entire strip is breathtakingly beautiful and amazing! You live in Pune too? Which part?

Yeah a Puneite for the last 5-6 years...right now in Hadapsar? What about you Kalyani?

Nice to know that two Puneites have discovered each other. Have a great friendship.
I pray almighty for the peoples who are affected in the incident.No one can predict what going to happen in future but we can save life of the people immediately if we make a perfect plan after the disaster.
I pray almighty for the peoples who are affected in the incident.No one can predict what going to happen in future but we can save life of the people immediately if we make a perfect plan after the disaster.

We cannot predict, but we can anticipate. Disaster management is the need of the hour.

Oh great! My sister lives in Hadapsar too, just a little after the Kirloskar Pneumatic Bridge! I live in Warje, ahead of Kothrud!

[quote]We cannot predict, but we can anticipate. Disaster management is the need of the hour. [/quote]

@Rambabu, true...disaster management has become very essential now, it always has been actually, but in spite of numerous floods each year, cloudbursts, landslides and many other disasters, we simply refuse to accept the need to educate ourselves and implement proper plans !

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Oh great! My sister lives in Hadapsar too, just a little after the Kirloskar Pneumatic Bridge! I live in Warje, ahead of Kothrud!

[quote]We cannot predict, but we can anticipate. Disaster management is the need of the hour.

@Rambabu, true...disaster management has become very essential now, it always has been actually, but in spite of numerous floods each year, cloudbursts, landslides and many other disasters, we simply refuse to accept the need to educate ourselves and implement proper plans ![/quote

DisasterManagement has limitations of its own. As you said, in the present conditions when there are a spate of such accidents,one after another, Disaster Management cannot rise up to the expectations.
But, If people are aware of something about Disaster Management, it goes a long way

[quote]We cannot predict, but we can anticipate. Disaster management is the need of the hour.

@Rambabu, true...disaster management has become very essential now, it always has been actually, but in spite of numerous floods each year, cloudbursts, landslides and many other disasters, we simply refuse to accept the need to educate ourselves and implement proper plans ![/quote]

@ Kalyani: Ok..I have heard of Warje..and have been to Kothrud...but not sure about this Kirloskar Pneumatic Bridge...may be I don't know the name...still familiarizing with this place.

And yes...proper planning and disaster management has to be properly done...but even with a good disaster management team in place, it is too high an expectation that everything will fall in place and work well all the time.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Yesterday night during a heavy rainfall of about 250 mm, a mountain top crashed and caused major landslide in a Village called Malin in Pune district. This village is situated in a very remote mountainous region and the incident came to light only when a State Transport bus driver discovered on his daily route at 6 am yesterday morning. On nearing the village to pick up regular passengers, he could not see the road nor could he see any houses in the village. That is when terror struck him and he realised what had happened. The village consists of about 800 residents about half of which are feared trapped.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28559617

Oh My how sad, I did read about it in the papers as well...Almost every year we seem to be having such calamities now.Today I also hear that there has again been a cloud burst in Uttaranchal and there is a lot of damage and deaths as well..
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Three-dead-in-cloudburst-in-Uttarakhand/articleshow/39334412.cms?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

According to news the tragedy that occured in Pune was because of Government projects ...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Govt-projects-are-to-blame-for-Pune-landslide-tragedy-Experts/articleshow/39383453.cms?intenttarget=no&utm_source=TOI_AShow_OBWidget&utm_medium=Int_Ref&utm_campaign=TOI_AShow

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Yesterday night during a heavy rainfall of about 250 mm, a mountain top crashed and caused major landslide in a Village called Malin in Pune district. This village is situated in a very remote mountainous region and the incident came to light only when a State Transport bus driver discovered on his daily route at 6 am yesterday morning. On nearing the village to pick up regular passengers, he could not see the road nor could he see any houses in the village. That is when terror struck him and he realised what had happened. The village consists of about 800 residents about half of which are feared trapped.

Oh My how sad, I did read about it in the papers as well...Almost every year we seem to be having such calamities now.Today I also hear that there has again been a cloud burst in Uttaranchal and there is a lot of damage and deaths as well..
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Three-dead-in-cloudburst-in-Uttarakhand/articleshow/39334412.cms?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

According to news the tragedy that occured in Pune was because of Government projects ...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Govt-projects-are-to-blame-for-Pune-landslide-tragedy-Experts/articleshow/39383453.cms?intenttarget=no&utm_source=TOI_AShow_OBWidget&utm_medium=Int_Ref&utm_campaign=TOI_AShow

True. experts say short-sighted government policy and shoddy implementation of its schemes are the major underlying factors for the tragedy.

OF course it has to be the human intervention that caused this tragedy. I say it with conviction because Sahyadris are the oldest and the firmest mountains in the world and are not prone to such mishaps. Dr. Madhav Gadgil has been cautioning the government against dangers such as exactly this but yet again, his pleas as always keep getting ignored. Under the guise of stupid MNREGA, all the government is doing is chopping down precious trees, flattening lands for cultivation and then sitting back happily saying 'we have done a great job' :blink: :blink: Truth is these ranges in this particular belt are prone to very heavy rainfalls and incessant pouring invariably loosens up the topmost layers in the absence of trees to hold these layers down. The water then percolates down loosening even deeper layers and gradually causing the cliffsides to break! Even a heavily crowded city such as Mumbai is not spared., from Andheri to Sakinaka, Thane, everywhere numerous lives are lost each year due to landslides. But people like Dr. Gadgil are relegated to back burners and the so-called experts keep doing such stupid things.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.