Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Only 35% of school students consider themselves citizens of India.” It is not true that a high school student is so ignorant. It seems that they have not taken the survey seriously, but have just ticked some Yes or No answer, to finish the ‘Survey Paper’ at the earliest. And there is no tension about the marks.

It does sound quite fantastic and difficult to believe, but it is still a reality that cannot be ignored or taken lightly. After all, isn't it a fact that majority of rural and dwellers until today considered Indira Gandhi as our prime minister. So it is not at all hard to believe that such a  low number of students know and consider themselves as students of India.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Only 35% of school students consider themselves citizens of India.” It is not true that a high school student is so ignorant. It seems that they have not taken the survey seriously, but have just ticked some Yes or No answer, to finish the ‘Survey Paper’ at the earliest. And there is no tension about the marks.

It does sound quite fantastic and difficult to believe, but it is still a reality that cannot be ignored or taken lightly. After all, isn't it a fact that majority of rural and dwellers until today considered Indira Gandhi as our prime minister. So it is not at all hard to believe that such a  low number of students know and consider themselves as students of India.

True, whatever may be the pattern of the survey, the reality, which is quite visible to all of us can't be wrapped under covers.

It is scary to think that youngsters even if they are small in number are so backward in their thinking. I have heard the way our high school sudents speak and know for a fact that they think of girls as toys or inferior beings meant for their pleasure and use...I blame the parents and the society for such mindset, this inpsite of the fact that you get to see and hear about so many cases of violence and rape ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

I have been seeing the TV programmes conducted for high school students since long. It's quite disheartening to see their standards in any realm of knowledge. These students are mostly forced by the educational institutions to take up a particular course without bothering to know the inner potentials of the student. And in this respect, parents are equally guilty. It is not the fault of the parents and educational institutions, but the fault of the system and the society.

It is scary to think that youngsters even if they are small in number are so backward in their thinking. I have heard the way our high school sudents speak and know for a fact that they think of girls as toys or inferior beings meant for their pleasure and use...I blame the parents and the society for such mindset, this inpsite of the fact that you get to see and hear about so many cases of violence and rape ..

You must have heard such opinions firsthand since you come into direct contact with students! And Usha what is more worrying is that many of these youngsters belong to the so-called hi-profile convent and English medium schools. One would think that with such kind of modern education, these students would develop a healthy attitude towards women, but it seems to be quite the contrary!

Here is my personal experience. A few students come to me for guidance. They are poor, but with a good academic record. I indulge in some general talk too to make them feel free.

During one such sessions, I asked about the relationship between Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi. Pat came the reply, "They are the grand children of Mahatma Gandhi."

Then I thought, the best  post  for them is ministership In the Indian cabinet. This is just an example. You can see everywhere and in every educational institute such students. And the most disgusting thing is all of them are with academic records conferredbuy their own education institutes.'

The picture is not so dismal as is being projected . During a trip to USA many years back I saw a documentary where a hen was seen laying an egg and it was being repeatedly shown. I came to know that a survey was carried out among school children and they were asked from where did eggs come from. They answered that they came from the many shopping Malls like Macy, and hardly anyone said they came from hens. Thus the educational documentary was being telecast. However poor  GK does not mean a student will not become proficient in their chosen line / career. Today knowledge is available at press of a button when needed. Children today are far more smarter and knowledgeable and should not be judged from GK ignorance. 

The picture is not so dismal as is being projected . During a trip to USA many years back I saw a documentary where a hen was seen laying an egg and it was being repeatedly shown. I came to know that a survey was carried out among school children and they were asked from where did eggs come from. They answered that they came from the many shopping Malls like Macy, and hardly anyone said they came from hens. Thus the educational documentary was being telecast. However poor  GK does not mean a student will not become proficient in their chosen line / career. Today knowledge is available at press of a button when needed. Children today are far more smarter and knowledgeable and should not be judged from GK ignorance.

If you read the enclosed article, it is not at all about GK or general awareness but more about the attitudes towards more important issues such as gender, national integrity and social responsibility. Such questions are answered in equally ignorant manner in India and other countries too.

Yes. The article gave a clear picture of the current scenario prevailing In the coununtr in the sphere ofeducation .

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

You must have heard such opinions firsthand since you come into direct contact with students! And Usha what is more worrying is that many of these youngsters belong to the so-called hi-profile convent and English medium schools. One would think that with such kind of modern education, these students would develop a healthy attitude towards women, but it seems to be quite the contrary!

I agree that education or rather degree education has nothing to do with ones mindset....I see a lot of sensible thoughts coming from youngsters coming from villages .I feel it is more to do with your surroundings, exposure and parental guidance 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.