The topic is locked.

Tamil Nadu has broken all the records in Rain fall.. Weatherman says, the state of Tamil Nadu has broken 100 years old record.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/151202/nation-current-affairs/article/rain-breaks-100-year-old-record-tamil-nadu

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Now we have another sea coast city vulnerable to such calamities as excessive rain, flood. Mumbai has suffered such calamity in recent years. Now Chennai also. The people in Chennai are facing acute hardship. The entire nation is with them in this hour of difficulty.  

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Tamil Nadu as well as adjoining districts in AP also having incessant Rains. Now Rescue operations are going on. But due to incessant rains rescue operations are also interrupted.

The TV shots of water levels in Chennai are frightening indeed. The city has become a huge lake. Evacuation of water is going to be a problem. And on top of it met dept is predicting four more days of rains. Chennai is in deep waters. May the waters recede fast.

Weather reports say that Rains will continue for another four days. The rescue operations came to a grinding halt due to incessant rains. The same condition prevails in Nellore district in AP too. Army and Navy are pressed in to service.

Flights, Trains and Bus services are completely stopped.

Rains in Tamil Nadu and water logging is bad. I read that part of the problem was that the natural drainage system was blocked by indiscriminate construction. I wonder if this was a cause of flooding

I'm not aware of the fact that drainages were blocked due to indiscriminate construction activity. This was not reported in any News channels. can you give me the Link of this News channel ?

Even if natural drainage systems were available the volume of rainwater is simply  so large even they would have failed. Yes it is common in India to encroach on natural water drainage areas.

This situation is very common in these days. it is effect of climate change. I never seen rain on Holi, but here at last Holi we had rain. Climate change is reason but un-authorised construction is also reason that we if have heavy rain than we faced situation of flood.

This is not the first time it is happening in Chennai, I was there in 2004 when something similar happened and almost all the streets were flooded for two days...Then there was Tsunami which consumed half the city and the city authorities have taken no precaution at all. I am told by my relatives who live there that the two rivers which look more like sewers have never been cleared by the city authorities even after the calamities occurred. Now, with  unprecedented rains the whole city is sinking ! It must be so difficult for the people ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Unplanned development is the main reason for causing unprecedented floods in Chennai. Our Urban planners think of the present population , ignoring the future growth of population and their needs. The planning authorities turned other side when rampant encroachments are taking place. Inadequate maintenance of storm water drains led to clogging of drains with garbage.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.