Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
MG Singh wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

I have been reading and watching this since yesterday Kalyani, it is horrifying to see how the bridge has been allowed to reach such a state over the years.I heard some experts say that it should have been repaired a decade ago and the then gvt was advised to do so..

Actually the bridge was one of the 14 bridges in Konkan built by the British 100 years ago. The authorities had even received a letter recently from the British officially stating that the original guarantee of the structure was now expired and so the bridge be closed down. But is is said that the letter was ignored.

However, the authorities claimed to have conducted an audit of the bridge in May that revealed the bridge to be in good condition.

Experts say that down the river and many places on the same river, large scale sand excavation has been going on for many years. Sand, sent to mega projects in Mumbai and Thane, brings in millions of rupees, but has led to serious deterioration of the natural river bed and this led to the weakening of the foundation pillars. Therefore, the bridge which stood similar floods and rains for a 100 years until now, could not bear it longer and finally breathed its last.

This is the real reason. Bridge was OK otherwise, I drove on it many times.

True...structural audit in May this year had proved the bridge to be strong, so only the sand mining and destruction of river side vegetation is teh root cause.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

usha manohar wrote:

I simply cannot help comparing this to what happens abroad, you get to see such old monumental bridges in Europe, well maintained all the time and people taking pride in it. Here sadly the general Indian mentality is to take public places and public properties for granted. It could be because our leaders have set a bad example, where all public conveniences are used for themselves. No wonder people want to have nothing to do with them..they only see how best they can benefit too like our netas

True...there is no sense of responsibility or pride towards monuments and structures in Indians. What little pride people do display is limited only to words and not deeds., That is why we see some really sick and disgusting graffiti displayed on such structures. It is due to this and lack of commitment that has destroyed some of our best treasures and many others going the same way. There should be actually a predetermined perimeter around such structures where any kind of activity be it construction, digging, excavation any any thing should be completely banned. Any thing that can cause damage to heritage structures should not be allowed at any cost.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

I simply cannot help comparing this to what happens abroad, you get to see such old monumental bridges in Europe, well maintained all the time and people taking pride in it. Here sadly the general Indian mentality is to take public places and public properties for granted. It could be because our leaders have set a bad example, where all public conveniences are used for themselves. No wonder people want to have nothing to do with them..they only see how best they can benefit too like our netas

True...there is no sense of responsibility or pride towards monuments and structures in Indians. What little pride people do display is limited only to words and not deeds., That is why we see some really sick and disgusting graffiti displayed on such structures. It is due to this and lack of commitment that has destroyed some of our best treasures and many others going the same way. There should be actually a predetermined perimeter around such structures where any kind of activity be it construction, digging, excavation any any thing should be completely banned. Any thing that can cause damage to heritage structures should not be allowed at any cost.

Kalyani,  this is the case everywhere in our country. We have two bridges across Netravati river at Bantwal and Uppinangadi close to Mangalore and trucks carrying sands are a permanent feature on the dried river bed during summer. No one seems to care least of all the concerned authorities ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Kalyani,  this is the case everywhere in our country. We have two bridges across Netravati river at Bantwal and Uppinangadi close to Mangalore and trucks carrying sands are a permanent feature on the dried river bed during summer. No one seems to care least of all the concerned authorities ..

Yes in my area during closer of Gan Canal carrying sand is common. Government can earn handsome amount by selling this sand. This sand is used in construction work.

Like all other mafias we have in our country, sand mafia combined with the builders mafia is a very powerful lobby backed by our greedy betas and unless their own kith and kin go down the stream nothing much will be done..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Now they are razing to ground more than 100 buildings in Bengaluru without notice. But are they built on storm water drains. If yes then why were they allowed in first place. Scams and mafias operating everywhere.

vijay wrote:

Now they are razing to ground more than 100 buildings in Bengaluru without notice. But are they built on storm water drains. If yes then why were they allowed in first place. Scams and mafias operating everywhere.

Buildings built on natural streams and storm drains are a common occurrence everywhere. Flash floods in Mumbai in 2005 were the result of very such activity. Increased waterlogging and flooding every year in major cities are again due to this. But no one is concerned in the initial stages, permissions are given to build such buildings in exchange for money, obviously, and then some mishap occurs. So now they are demolishing 100 buildings in Bangalore, what a shameful waste of resources and money! It is the consensus of sand mafias and builders that have totally ruined this country!

Karnataka High Court has supported the demolition and has asked for names of officials who colluded to give clearances for such illegal constructions. Yes they should be punished as they have broken trust placed in them by the society.

Many of the top politicians in the ruling party of Karnataka are hand in glove with the builders and now the BBMP officials have been shown the door for doing their duty of demolition and for having given permission which they say was under political pressure and absolutely no word of the builders who were also responsible and the great people behind it !

vijay wrote:

Karnataka High Court has supported the demolition and has asked for names of officials who colluded to give clearances for such illegal constructions. Yes they should be punished as they have broken trust placed in them by the society.

They should be punished, as severely as possible. But is demolishing a 100 such buildings really so desirable?? Imagine the waste of money, resources and labour all that went into it.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.