The topic is locked.

With one of the highest rate of rainfalls in the world some if Indian states are perpetually facing water scarcity, thanks to poor water management by our leaders.

Karnataka has more than its fair share of problems with Mahadayi in the northern parts, river Cauvery in the central and North Eastern parts and Netravathy in the coastal region.

Yesterday there was a bandh called against releasing water to Tamilnadu from KRS reservoir because there is not enough water to drink in Karnataka and the farmers have been denied water for their crops,but Tamilnadu needs water for their crops. They also receive Eastern monsoon rains , whereas Karnataka has to manage with what is left which is barely sufficient for drinking.What kind of a logic is this? that the Supreme Court without checking the status and the ground realities, orders the State govt to release water. Now of course there will be a serious repercussion and with a united state justice needs to be done after decades of being manipulated by the other state , earlier because they supported the center..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

When were flows as a river all people along it have equal right. Stopping flow to other state because origin is in another state is denying the inalienable right of citizens alongside the river. Rivers should be allowed to flow freely. Politics in it shows lowest form of negativity of human nature and also in those who support it.

Cauvery Water dispute was an issue  between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu for decades. Cauvery Horata Camiti called for a Statewide Bandh.

Here is an interesting Article, on the issue Cauvery water dispute.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/cauvery-water-dispute-all-you-need-to-know-karnataka-tamil-nadu-3016736/

@vijay, I don't need to elaborate on why dams are built..inspite of that , there is insufficiency of water in many states during summer months, so can water be let away to join the sea? No doubt it may help in maintaining eco balance and induce more rains . Since we already have built dams now the only practical solution to my mind seems to work out a water sharing solution that is satisfactory to all the states concerned..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

rambabu wrote:

Cauvery Water dispute was an issue  between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu for decades. Cauvery Horata Camiti called for a Statewide Bandh.

Here is an interesting Article, on the issue Cauvery water dispute.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/cauvery-water-dispute-all-you-need-to-know-karnataka-tamil-nadu-3016736/

Sir this issue will only will come to an end when the people understand the value of discussing in a polite way instead of fighting.

sdfafa

I agree with #usha that a proper sharing agreement like Narmada done during Indita Gandhis time is needed. Otherwise Indians are fighting Indians to the satisfaction of our enemies.

Unlike Narmada and Gujarat where both central and state were rulef by the same party, the problem here has been the partial treatment given to Karnataka in the seventies when the Cauvery tribunal was loaded with Congress men and it's supporters. Karnataka, then had. Janata govt, and it was given less waTer although the river takes its birth here and is the life blood of the entire area. .the later Congress govts played politics because they were more concerned about their own positions and keeping Karunanidhi happy. Until now a proper picture of the suffering of farmers here has never been given to the committee. Has anyone heard of farmers committing suicide in Tamilnadu like they do every year in Karnataka?  Because they never have s arcity while our state suffers giving them wTer to cultivate whereas here there is scarcity for drinking water...I sincerely hope that justice prevails and a united state would be able to change the situation.

It is not true because since 1947 there were same governments at all places yet for 50+ years no settlement was possible. Also with controlled supply TH farmers are able to grow good crops and Karnataka farmers as commuting suicide. Problems may be elsewhere. But I sure we're were should be avoided at all costs.

Unless there is enough water it is not possible to grow 3 crops a year which is what Tamilnadu is doing and in Karnataka, farmers do not have enough water to grow even two crops a year. I find the whole cauvery tribunal a sham. However, at least now thankfully people have cone together like never before and it is only fair that the tribunal and the Supreme court studies the situation thoroughly before making any demands on Karnataka govt and the people of the state to suffer and let others thrive .

usha manohar wrote:

@vijay, I don't need to elaborate on why dams are built..inspite of that , there is insufficiency of water in many states during summer months, so can water be let away to join the sea? No doubt it may help in maintaining eco balance and induce more rains . Since we already have built dams now the only practical solution to my mind seems to work out a water sharing solution that is satisfactory to all the states concerned..

Violation of agreement is not a hard job. Rajasthan have water sharing agreement with Punjab. Every share of Rajasthan decided by Punjab in presence of Rajasthan government representatives, but Punjab never gave decided share of water to Rajasthan. It is funny that plenty of water is going to Pakistan.

anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Violation of agreement is not a hard job. Rajasthan have water sharing agreement with Punjab. Every share of Rajasthan decided by Punjab in presence of Rajasthan government representatives, but Punjab never gave decided share of water to Rajasthan. It is funny that plenty of water is going to Pakistan.

I feel that the only solution would be to link rivers so that areas that receive less rainfall get benefitted..Left to the states they would want to hog benefits without caring for others like it is happening with Tamilnadu and it's leaders..

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.