Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Naming a child has become a tough thing in today's world. Parents go to any extent in finding an unique name. Sometimes they fail to understand the meaning it carries. We have a child named Aashrit ( dependent) and other named Nirmam ( ruthless and cruel)in our apartment. But since here it is a popular celebrity couple, they ought to catch attention for all wrong reasons

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

On the one hand Saif Ali Khan is supposed to be a Historian, whatever that means because it looks as if all historic facts and gory details of Taimur seems to have escaped his historic mind or else he would think twice and also have some respet for the majority community that was at the receiving end. However, it is their child and their wish, so be it ...

True...that kind of apathy towards a specifically horrible part of history and naming their son in spite of it questions the grounds on which Saif claims himself to be a historian. But more than the controversy surrounding the name of their child, what struck out to me most was the question that Tarek Fateh raised, that Indian Muslims consider themselves to be so much alienated or distant from Indian culture that their names are all Arab and Persian, and not Indian. whereas Muslims in Turkey, African countries, Indonesia etc. carry names rooted from their local cultures. This is what disturbed me the most.

Kalyani, it is also a lot to do with their leaders who tend to completely Identify themselves with Arabia rather than their native land unlike Christian s. In Mangalore most Christians and Catholic s have a Hindu first name and a Christian second name. . They have also adapted the bindi and mangalsutra although it is not mandatory. But it is a way of accepting and adapting the lands traditions and customs most of which are not religious..

True Usha, that is exactly my point. Tamil Christians also wear a bindi and mangalsutra (or Thali - the South equivalent of mangalsutra) along with the cross, but they also perform Lakshmipoojan in Diwali and certain other Hindu rituals. But that is besides the point. It is the matter of feeling whether you are a part of the Indian local culture or whether you consider yourself different and alienated. Most Muslim families in Konkan, Maharashtra have Hindu surnames - a remnant of their origin. Most Muslim families have surnames like, Kaskar, Parkar, even Patwardhan which is a common Brahmin surname. And in this region, there is hardly any Hindu-Muslim conflict.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

On the one hand Saif Ali Khan is supposed to be a Historian, whatever that means because it looks as if all historic facts and gory details of Taimur seems to have escaped his historic mind or else he would think twice and also have some respet for the majority community that was at the receiving end. However, it is their child and their wish, so be it ...

True...that kind of apathy towards a specifically horrible part of history and naming their son in spite of it questions the grounds on which Saif claims himself to be a historian. But more than the controversy surrounding the name of their child, what struck out to me most was the question that Tarek Fateh raised, that Indian Muslims consider themselves to be so much alienated or distant from Indian culture that their names are all Arab and Persian, and not Indian. whereas Muslims in Turkey, African countries, Indonesia etc. carry names rooted from their local cultures. This is what disturbed me the most.

Kalyani, it is also a lot to do with their leaders who tend to completely Identify themselves with Arabia rather than their native land unlike Christian s. In Mangalore most Christians and Catholic s have a Hindu first name and a Christian second name. . They have also adapted the bindi and mangalsutra although it is not mandatory. But it is a way of accepting and adapting the lands traditions and customs most of which are not religious..

True Usha, that is exactly my point. Tamil Christians also wear a bindi and mangalsutra (or Thali - the South equivalent of mangalsutra) along with the cross, but they also perform Lakshmipoojan in Diwali and certain other Hindu rituals. But that is besides the point. It is the matter of feeling whether you are a part of the Indian local culture or whether you consider yourself different and alienated. Most Muslim families in Konkan, Maharashtra have Hindu surnames - a remnant of their origin. Most Muslim families have surnames like, Kaskar, Parkar, even Patwardhan which is a common Brahmin surname. And in this region, there is hardly any Hindu-Muslim conflict.

Yes Kalyani that happens in Gujarat too and in North Kanara in places like Bhatkal with a large Muslim population. They iner mingle freely during festivities.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Naming a child is their prerogative but yes, the first impression of anyone's name matters a lot. God only knows why they opted such a name!

shampasaid

Either the parents lack any kind of sensitivity and care two hoots for history and it's impact on the nation or else are quite stupid with a singular lack of imagination to have come up with a name like that ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.