Information and broadcast ministry has issued a directive that media my refrain from using the word "Dalit" for backward classes, "Dalit" word means downtrodden or broken. They suggested that scheduled class is the better and more suitable word for backward classes. We already have huge debate over reservation for backward classes now there is going to be debate what to call backward classes. Most of the people belonging to schedule classes are now very well off by taking advantage of various government schemes and reservation. I also know few people who don't want to disclose anyone that they are from reserved category and feel bad if someone asks about their reservation etc. If they feel bad about they being called a part of backward community, then why don't they give up reservation if they belong to rich family who no longer needs reservation ? 

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

According to me, merit should start gaining prominence and there should be minimal reservations on exceptional cases.

Any kind of help given should be based on both merit and means. A deserving poor student should be given help regardless of caste. The job quotas are being taken to ridiculous levels ...blaming the media for everything is not right. They are just a reflection of the society!

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

It is time now to analyse the reservation situation and make a lot of changes in how reservation is given. In spite of reservation, there are still many belonging to backward classes and castes who still live a miserable existence with no help at all from their own community members  who have grown in life and made a lot of riches. Having said that, the status of numerous higher caste people including Brahmins is no better than these Dalits. Especially in UP and BIhar there are thousands of Brahmins who live a hand-to-mouth existence, working at menial jobs and many also working as sweepers. So it is not just the Dalits who need reservation but the terms and coinditions need to be looked at and changed while granting benefits of reservation.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

It is time now to analyse the reservation situation and make a lot of changes in how reservation is given. In spite of reservation, there are still many belonging to backward classes and castes who still live a miserable existence with no help at all from their own community members  who have grown in life and made a lot of riches. Having said that, the status of numerous higher caste people including Brahmins is no better than these Dalits. Especially in UP and BIhar there are thousands of Brahmins who live a hand-to-mouth existence, working at menial jobs and many also working as sweepers. So it is not just the Dalits who need reservation but the terms and coinditions need to be looked at and changed while granting benefits of reservation.

I agree to this that basis of reservation should be economic condition of individual and not caste of individual .

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

For me, one time reservation is best one solution of reservation problem. Once a person of reserve class takes advantages of reservation his/her children get good education and they again claim reservation and selected for government job. In this way families of persons takes advantages of reservation again and again and poor person of reserve class can never takes advantages of reservation.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.