Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
suni51 wrote:

I have never heard about bribes too but the one who used to come to deliver important documents like driving licence, passport, bank related papers or even a money order (way back) etc would expect some money in form of a tip. But that is thing of the past. Now the postman who used to come on bicycle comes on a motorbike and never asks for anything. It was the same with lineman from telephone department but no more.

Giving a tip is okay as we tip people from other professions too, to waiters when we eat out etc. We often buy art reference books from overseas and the packages are very heavy  and it is indeed cumbersome to carry those heavy books around on your route, so I quite give 20-30 rupees to the postman who brings them to us. I also tip similar amount to the delivery person bringing us our LPG cylinder so, that is not a problem as these people earn barely sufficient salaries.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

I have never heard about bribes too but the one who used to come to deliver important documents like driving licence, passport, bank related papers or even a money order (way back) etc would expect some money in form of a tip. But that is thing of the past. Now the postman who used to come on bicycle comes on a motorbike and never asks for anything. It was the same with lineman from telephone department but no more.

Giving a tip is okay as we tip people from other professions too, to waiters when we eat out etc. We often buy art reference books from overseas and the packages are very heavy  and it is indeed cumbersome to carry those heavy books around on your route, so I quite give 20-30 rupees to the postman who brings them to us. I also tip similar amount to the delivery person bringing us our LPG cylinder so, that is not a problem as these people earn barely sufficient salaries.

Giving a tip is okay to a waiter in a restaurant who is not paid enough or tip is part of his salary or a porter that carries your luggage in the hotel room but giving a tip to a postman who gets almost Rs 50-60 thousands is not justified. It makes them believe that it's their right to take money from public which is my basic objection.  

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: epraneeth77
suni51 wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

Giving a tip is okay to a waiter in a restaurant who is not paid enough or tip is part of his salary or a porter that carries your luggage in the hotel room but giving a tip to a postman who gets almost Rs 50-60 thousands is not justified. It makes them believe that it's their right to take money from public which is my basic objection.  

Are they really paid that much? I had no idea!

The starting salary of postal services begin at 285000 per annum ,.there will be other additions like city allowance and dearness allowance added to it.

Central govt pay scale is really good and the state govt jobs pay far less , the only benefit being that you can live close to your home .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
suni51 wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

Are they really paid that much? I had no idea!

This particular postman coming to our place is the same for last 24 years ever since I shifted to my present house in the age group of 55+. He used to be a stubborn type who would refuse Rs 10-20 for delivering a registered letter coming from important departments like income tax, Passport etc in the beginning (20 years or so before) but would insist for Rs 50 or more. Now the things have changed and he delivers everything for free and even says thank you once we sign the acknowledgement. The things have changed in postal and telephone departments to a great extent during last 5 years. People in these departments have learned to handle computers too.   

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

I am listening first time from you for tips to LPG cylinder delivery person. Here giving tip to postman is also not a tradition, although here some person, businessmen, gives them some gift on festivals.

anil wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

I am listening first time from you for tips to LPG cylinder delivery person. Here giving tip to postman is also not a tradition, although here some person, businessmen, gives them some gift on festivals.

Maybe not in your area but LPG deliverymen always expected some thing from you. Now that 'something' is limited to 2-3 RS like if the price of gas is 697, they will keep 700/. But postmen were always known for accepting something from businessmen to ordinary citizens but no more. 

suni51 wrote:
anil wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

Maybe not in your area but LPG deliverymen always expected some thing from you. Now that 'something' is limited to 2-3 RS like if the price of gas is 697, they will keep 700/. But postmen were always known for accepting something from businessmen to ordinary citizens but no more. 

Yes it is right about LPG deliverymen, they kept balance amount of 2-3 Rs. In these days 2-3 Rs is not important so peoples don't care it. In these days postmen are rare most of peoples are using courrier service.

anil wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

Well, I live in a flat on the 3rd floor and carrying a full cylinder up to the third floor manually is quite cumbersome and hard task and the regular delivery man who comes to my home is elderly person past 50. Also, he is a poor guy and they are not paid very well for the job so I give 20 rupees which does not cause a significant dent in my  budget, but it means a lot to him./

anil wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

Paying a tip to LPG delivery man is common here. I pay 20 rupees and those living on higher floors in apartments pay a little more ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.