PM , Narendra Modi has time and again laid stress on smart farming in his man ki baat. Many efforts have been done to make it a reality in many states. It is heartening to see there are companies offering advise and help to farmers with regard to all the different aspects of farming. Recently I saw a video showing the various steps taken in Bihar to implement smart farming , increasing yield ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

There are many individuals also who are working hard to achieve good yield from farming by employing technology and traditional means of farming in a smart way. I think education is the key here, educating farmers on smarter ways of farming using less water and chemical-based fertilizers, something we can also learn from Israel.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar

We have had a very effective farming system where all natural resources were used to make the soil nutrient. Since I come from an agricultural background , I have seen my ancestors use dry leaves, chopped up wild vegetation, cow dung , paddy husk and all kitchen waste to make fertilizer for the fields. But unplanned urbanization and a bid to encourage chemical industries has put an end to these age old practices. 

Here in Karnataka earlier CM  Kumara Swamy did take the initiative to encourage combined harvest which has benefitted small farmers since it reduces cost thereby increasing their profit margin.This is probably the only sensible move taken by him , however it has been a very positive move.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

At present farming in India is not profitable profession. To make it profitable it is necessary that farmers adopt new technology of farming. Zero cost farming is one of them.

anil wrote:

At present farming in India is not profitable profession. To make it profitable it is necessary that farmers adopt new technology of farming. Zero cost farming is one of them.

Overall it is so but that is because of increasing dependency on chemical fertilizers which has led to degradation of the soil quality through years of usage. But there are many farmers who are into organic, traditional methods of farming and are very successful at it.

anil wrote:

You can not have zero cost farming because you have to have basic amenities to grow crops. However, with skill and knowledge one can cut down on expenditure and increase profit levels. There is a lot of importance given to this particular field by private NGOs and government organisations as well

usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:

You can not have zero cost farming because you have to have basic amenities to grow crops. However, with skill and knowledge one can cut down on expenditure and increase profit levels. There is a lot of importance given to this particular field by private NGOs and government organisations as well

True...agriculture like all other industries is also an industry and there has to be some investment. With time and experience, the costs can be cut down but I don't think absolutely zero investment farming is possible.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:

True...agriculture like all other industries is also an industry and there has to be some investment. With time and experience, the costs can be cut down but I don't think absolutely zero investment farming is possible.

Farmers are spending hug amount of seeds, manure and pesticides.  If a farmers have their own seeds, manure and pesticides than it is like no cost farming. In my area some farmers are doing it.

anil wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:

Farmers are spending hug amount of seeds, manure and pesticides.  If a farmers have their own seeds, manure and pesticides than it is like no cost farming. In my area some farmers are doing it.

Can one make their own pesticides, also own manure and seeds are okay, but still it will be a labouring work for big lands I think...?

Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!

epraneeth77 wrote:
anil wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:

Can one make their own pesticides, also own manure and seeds are okay, but still it will be a labouring work for big lands I think...?

Yes making pesticides is possible. Some farmers using it. It is made with Neema, Dhatura, Cow urin, garlic and some other local available plants. Here in my area one farmers have a garden of Kinooh. Suddely plant begins to dry. He consulted with agricultural Scientist and spend hug amount on pesticides. When problem continue he prepare solution From Neema, cow urine and some other local plant. He saved his garden with it.

Thank you said by: epraneeth77
epraneeth77 wrote:
anil wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:

Yes, they can. Traditionally, farmers made their own pesticides using the urine of cows along with mixture of other ingredients like neem leaves and oil derived from its seeds, lime, jaggery etc. So why can't they make it now? The fact is that, Nehru and subsequent others who wanted to start industrialization, promoted and allowed foreign chemical fertilizer companies and seed producers in  India and encouraged farmers to use only those due to which traditional methods were forgotten. I think it happened more so when Sharad Pawar was the minister for agriculture. But now, more farmers are exploring and using these old methods to get fruitful yield/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.