A 19-year-old girl married her boyfriend without her parents consent in Tarantaran near Amritsar. she had eloped with him about a year back and married her lover, thinking that her parents would now accept her marriage, she had returned two months back. Her father consented and got them both wed in a religious ceremony again. But the anger towards her defiance against their wishes was still present and they killed their own daughter and her husband's mother.

Are such incidents never to end in India? Please comment.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
There is orthodoxy in our social system. The parents may excuse sons for defiance but not their daughters. They consider that marriage of their daughter against family tradition implies that 'honor' is gone. The girl and her virginity are symbol of their 'honor'

So as a pragmatic move, the girls or even boys must either convince their parents or abide by their wishes. If neither is possible, they have only alternative to revolt and move away from the joint family. It is not advisable to continue in the joint family if you do not conform to the family norms.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

This is very bad...

Orthodox doesn't mean to kill other people..... Orthodox is said to be with the customs and way of living....

And I think no religion, being orthodox also doesn't say to kill a person if they have not followed their customs....... :(

I think there should be very severe punishments for these people, so that this would never again repeated again!!!!

Thanks 'n' Regards,
Deepti.
It's a bone-chilling incident and I have no words to condemn this barbaric act.
How could parents kill their own children, whom they have brought up with very much love and affection???

Thanks 'n' Regards,
Deepti.
Such is the power of ignorance,prejudice that they don't even shudder at such beastly thoughts before committing such ghastly acts.
Well, the only thing that comes to my mind is that we Indians actually have a very twisted perception of the word "honour". Almost all over the country, there is a huge majority of people who will cheat others and steal things without giving a second thought to what they are doing. Same people would think it a minor issue to beat up their wives over petty squabbles without thinking it as a dishonourable act. But the moment their daughters love someone outside the caste or against their wishes, then their honour is compromised.

Its really disgusting that such incidents keep on happening time and again!! And we still call ourselves a secular state!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

What is all the more condemnabale that these incidents are on the rise in the states which are materialistically very prosperous.I simply do not understand in which part of the mind and head that this sort of weird ideas grows! The other day a woman journalist was killed by her mother on a similar plea. This bank manager's famility boasts of sons who have received higher education.
It is very sad to know that parents killed their own child for not listening to them. There are many cases in India but killing is really very inhuman here....

@ Deepti
For your information i want to tell that orthodox parents have also married there girl to different caste and i know such parents who are orthodox, initially didnt agree for such marriage but after sometime they took it for granted.

I know that initially it is dificult for such people to digest the truth but as it is modern India many people are changing themselves with the situation.

The case should be taken very seriously and severe punishment should be given if they is no other reason hidding behind the killing.
I think the crooked and cruel mind of human race is getting superiority over kind and beneficial minds.We have to make a postmortom ourselves.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
@Rajani, Please read by post again!!!!

Thats what I have stated...

""Orthodox doesn't mean to kill other people..... Orthodox is said to be with the customs and way of living....

And I think no religion, being orthodox also doesn't say to kill a person if they have not followed their customs....... ""

Thanks 'n' Regards,
Deepti.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.