National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, USA is testing the new vaccine in people and says the results of tests in mice, ferrets and monkeys suggest the industry may finally be able to get over the tedious cumbersome process of making fresh flu vaccines every year.

This new method involves using DNA to "prime" the immune system and then giving a traditional seasonal flu vaccine. The traditional vaccine is then able to protect against all strains of the influenza virus.

Every year, the influenza strains that are circulating mutate a little bit and at any given time several very different strains are infecting people. In some years a new mutant pops up -- such as the new H1N1 swine flu strain that appeared in March 2009 to spark a pandemic.

Vaccine makers have to change their formulations every year to match the current strains. To make matters worse, virtually all flu vaccines are made using decades-old technology based on chicken eggs that is both slow and prone to contamination. The goal is to come up with a universal influenza vaccine that could protect people from all flu strains for decades or even for life.

Dr. Gary Nabel said that this new method involves a piece of DNA based on the hemagglutinin protein -- a mushroom-shaped structure on the outside of the virus that gives flu strains the "H" in their names. The DNA directs the body to make antibodies against a part of the flu virus that is normally hidden -- on the "stem" of the hemagglutinin protein. This part is conserved, meaning it does not change from flu strain to flu strain.

"We are excited by these results," Nabel said. "The prime-boost approach opens a new door to vaccinations for influenza that would be similar to vaccination against such diseases as hepatitis, where we vaccinate early in life and then boost immunity through occasional, additional inoculations in adulthood."

Seasonal influenza kills 250,000 to 500,000 people a year globally, including 36,000 in the United States. Pandemics often kill more and while H1N1 has not been especially deadly, it has killed far more children, young adults and pregnant women than seasonal flu usually does. The experimental vaccine protected animals against H5N1 bird flu, as well. While avian influenza only rarely infects people, it has killed 296 of the 500 sickened by it since 2003.

Flu experts fear H5N1 could mutate and cause a pandemic far worse than swine flu and, using current vaccine technology, it will take months to formulate a good vaccine against it. Swine flu made its spread global within six weeks.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Its a good news.. lots of people are dead every year because of the flu..

Get hot offers& tricks for Indians..Hurry!!
www.IndianOffer.blogspot.com
Jobin, you are right!! Also now with the steady rains everywhere the case of swine flu are again on the rise! In Pune, there are talks of a "Seasonal Flu Vaccine" to be implemented soon. A bit similar to the two-step vaccine, this vaccine is given as nasal drops and is said to be effective against all the seasonal strains of flus!

THATS A VERY GOOD NEWS....MANY LIVES CAN BE SAVED NOW...

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
That's a good finding as every a flu comes with new names.Hope this will prevent people from getting infections.

websitesreview-meens.blogspot.com
The first nasal spray vaccine against swine flu that I mentioned earlier has finally been launched by Pune's Serum Institute of India. Called Nasovac, this ready-to-sniff intranasal vaccine is priced at a low price of Rs 158 per dose.

See complete news here:
http://www.themedguru.com/20100715/newsfeature/indias-1st-nasal-spray-swine-flu-vaccine-launched-86137382.html

Thats a very good news kalyani...

And the cost is very reasonable.. :) :)
Yes Sudha, it is in the reach of mainly poor people too who are more at risk to such infections!!

The news is a relief to all mankind.But have to prove its ability.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.