CM Ashok Chavan has announced that there will a third-party audit of all the slums in the city every two years. This step is being taken to check their proliferation. Apart from this, he has not mentioned anything about the already prevalent woeful conditions of the slums.

He said that the migration cannot be stopped as it is guaranteed as a fundamental right in the Constitution. “We’ll conduct a third-party audit of slums every two years. We’ll survey the slums and go for satellite mapping. Local officials will be made accountable for proliferation of slums in the area under their jurisdiction...a special cell will be created in the housing department to monitor slums.”

He reiterated the government would develop Koliwadas and merge the three categories of old buildings (those built before 1940; those between 1940 and 1950; and those between 1950 and 1969) and grant uniform FSI for their reconstruction. At the moment, in Mumbai most of these old buildings are in dire straits and every monsoon, at least one or two of such buildings collapse due to further rain damagekilling many.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
slims have to be reduced in india...sure..but the people who live in the slums have to be re allocated some space.
instead of bringing slums under satellite mapping , govt should take steps towards reducing poverty and bringing down no of slums.
According to me slums should not exist in India. It makes India looks untidy. This is good step taken by CM.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.