The gift comes from Tata Companies, the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and the Tata Education and Development Trust, the philanthropic entities of the Group; a whopping USD 50 million to fund a new academic and residential building on its campus, the largest gift received by the institute from an international donor in its 102-year-old history.

It comes days after Anand Mahindra, Vice Chairman and Managing Director of Mahindra and Mahindra Group, gave USD 10 million to the Humanities Centre at Harvard.

See details:
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/tata-group-gifts-50-mn-to-harvard/697969/

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Tata group is well known for contributing to research and education. Tata are a professional group and not a family enterprise like others. They have always been innovative and done a lot for national economic development and education/ research. .

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Very good to see that they are doing some useful thing which is needed in India too..
Any specific reason why such a huge amount is dedicated to Harvard Univeristy.Why not India? :)
Nagalakshmi, probably because they are the alumni of Harvard Business School!
Though I too question this decision, they could have gifted some amount to Harvard, they owe it to their loyalty towards their Alma Mater! But $50 million!!

That much money could have been used to feed and clothe hundreds of poor children in India! or they could have sponsored hundreds of childrens' education for at least 10 years!

I don't know what precisely motivated Tatas but as Kalyani says such a big amount could have been utilized for some other social purposes in the country.But I have slighly different take on the subject.As you are all aware Tatas have already declared their intention to take their business to all corners of th globe and its last year acquisition of some global business is a pointer to this growing ambition.May be this is part of a move to reinforce their global citizen image!
Thanks Kalyani and Chinmoy for sharing your views.It would have been really a good thing if the tata's had allocated at least some amount of the major share to the poor young children's education in India.
You do have a point Chinmoy! But the same could have been achieved in phases as well and also as a Corporate giant the Tatas do have a responsibility for the uplift of the Indian society and this should be first and foremost as a step forward to becoming a global entity! :)

@Kalyani

You are right! Tatas are still miles ahead of other corporate houses in upholding and discharging their coporate social duties and obligations.But I have a feeling this culture which flourished under JRD and others before him may have come under scrutiny under Ratan Tata!
May be you are right Chinmoy! That probably may be the case as you say!!

They were the first ones to conceive and implement some beneficial labor welfare measures which came into our statute book much later!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.