I Have the greatest of respect for all ancient scriptures and epics including religious texts regardless of religion and culture since they have historic facts pertaining to that period of human civilisation.
However, is it right to follow them to the letter ? I see most Hindus quoting Rama and Seeta as the perfect couple, but I ask in what way?
Rama was definitely not an exemplary husband and Seeta suffered constantly all through her life , all because of him. The same goes for other epic characters like Arjuna,Dharmaraya and others who were all full of faults and were as human as us lesser mortals...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Everything has good and bad. So, let us accept right things.

Am sure, a person who is able to understand real meanings of epics and such old religious books...there is no need for extra education, if his aim is not just a big money making job. It's true, old scriptures and religious books are relevant even in modern times. But the most sad part is that, only a few people are able to understand and convey the inner meanings hidden in those lines.

Meera sandhu
Maybe not all would be relevant but some scriptures certainly are. Shrimad Bhagvad Gita, Manache Shlok etc. are nothing but set of rules and protocols that a man should follow in order to make his life as well others around him peaceful and be able to do things that are right. It really depends on what one chooses to pick from them and act accordingly.

Eg. thinking about today's conditions, where it is necessary to work hard and work right, more and more people are becoming followers of various religious cults and so-called godmen and godwomen who mislead them in a lot of things. People are now committing various rituals more and more that make no sense whatsoever. It is actually becoming quite ridiculous when I see people working in IT industry standing with a bottle of oil on Saturdays outside Shani temples in order to appease Lord Shani! Does pouring oil on a stone God help them in keeping their jobs? :blink:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Am sure, a person who is able to understand real meanings of epics and such old religious books...there is no need for extra education, if his aim is not just a big money making job. It's true, old scriptures and religious books are relevant even in modern times. But the most sad part is that, only a few people are able to understand and convey the inner meanings hidden in those lines.

Real meaning , inner meanings and hidden meanings are all relative and depends upon an individual as to how he/she perceives it .One can see any number of meaning to a subject since there is no one left from that era to educate us on the facts...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Real meaning , inner meanings and hidden meanings are all relative and depends upon an individual as to how he/she perceives it .One can see any number of meaning to a subject since there is no one left from that era to educate us on the facts...

It's said, for every poem to be immortal, a poet should be able to write in 3 ways.....One direct meaning, one inner meaning and one hidden meaning. Direct meaning, we can know it in first sight. Inner meaning, it may not be visible to everyone and the third hidden meaning, only poet knows it. That's why it's told, hiding in lines. It's not at all visible to anyone. Old poets (earlier no novels, only poems), know this principle very much. That's why old works are remembered most till now. Even if , we assume we have understood everything, there lies many blanks.

Hoping you know the story of Vararuchi, when Raja asked him to find the best 4 lines of epic Valmiki Ramayana :whistle:

Meera sandhu
Maybe not all would be relevant but some scriptures certainly are. Shrimad Bhagvad Gita, Manache Shlok etc. are nothing but set of rules and protocols that a man should follow in order to make his life as well others around him peaceful and be able to do things that are right. It really depends on what one chooses to pick from them and act accordingly.

Eg. thinking about today's conditions, where it is necessary to work hard and work right, more and more people are becoming followers of various religious cults and so-called godmen and godwomen who mislead them in a lot of things. People are now committing various rituals more and more that make no sense whatsoever. It is actually becoming quite ridiculous when I see people working in IT industry standing with a bottle of oil on Saturdays outside Shani temples in order to appease Lord Shani! Does pouring oil on a stone God help them in keeping their jobs? :blink:

Superstition and Blind belief has become interwoven with our scriptures and religious books even though there is no reference to any such thing.Mahabharata is easily one of the greatest epics ever written in the history of mankind ...No doubt that there is a lesson for all of us since the canvas is so vast covering so many individuals,their lives and the inter relationships between them....
Kalyani, I too find it ridiculous the way individuals and politicians alike are perpetually visiting temples instead of doing what they are supposed to do and also spend huge amounts on astrologers and doing yagnas and homes.One of the politician in Karnataka had a Yagna like it happened in Ramayana to appease the gods , so that he would get a child !! :huh:

Superstition and Blind beliefs are there in every religion. That's why i told, let us accept the good and leave behind those are not at all relevant in modern era. I think all epics say, man dominate woman. But now time is changing and we have seen many reforms in our society......best example is abolish of Sati. So, we should reject such bad practices, yet accept good ones and make part of our life

Meera sandhu

That has a serious meaning while they pour oil on Shanidev, they have their boss in their subconscious whom they are oiling or buttering. They cannot do it in their offices as most IT companies would not allow them to carry bottles of oil in offices. Every thing is done for a purpose and you should see its inner meaning.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Superstition and Blind belief has become interwoven with our scriptures and religious books even though there is no reference to any such thing.Mahabharata is easily one of the greatest epics ever written in the history of mankind ...No doubt that there is a lesson for all of us since the canvas is so vast covering so many individuals,their lives and the inter relationships between them....
Kalyani, I too find it ridiculous the way individuals and politicians alike are perpetually visiting temples instead of doing what they are supposed to do and also spend huge amounts on astrologers and doing yagnas and homes.One of the politician in Karnataka had a Yagna like it happened in Ramayana to appease the gods , so that he would get a child !! :huh:

Yikes! How are such blind-faithed people going to lead our country???

There was a news item last week on the TV, it showed a very worryingly increasing trend amongst youngsters who have turned to practicing black magic to help them retain their jobs or help in promotion! :blink: What is more worrying is that it showed such things being practiced in Mumbai of all places!!! People are scared of another economic crisis looming upon them, and rather than work hard, they are turning to such silly things!

That has a serious meaning while they pour oil on Shanidev, they have their boss in their subconscious whom they are oiling or buttering. They cannot do it in their offices as most IT companies would not allow them to carry bottles of oil in offices. Every thing is done for a purpose and you should see its inner meaning.

Now that's the kind of subtlety I am bound to miss because to me a boss is a boss, of human flesh and blood! I should probably take a lesson or two from such people then! :woohoo:

Now that's the kind of subtlety I am bound to miss because to me a boss is a boss, of human flesh and blood! I should probably take a lesson or two from such people then! :woohoo:

LOL, sunil you should have been a Psycho analyst ...I am sure they do have some personal gain in mind to do that but they miss the point that they could do better by gaining more knowledge and information on the subject ...

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.