We need to add compost or fertiliser to the soil in our garden to spruce it up since it needs a boost when the existing nutrients in the soil gets absorbed by the plants.
The composting of waste materials either by making use of kitchen waste or garden waste like dry leaves rotting wood etc provides a natural system of 'reuse', ultimately by returning the nutrients to the soil...I personally use up all kitchen waste like vegetable peels,fruit peels,prawn shells,fish waste etc etc combined with garden waste ,dry leaves and soil to make compost at home. It can be done in a plastic tub by layering the materials with a layer of garden soil.
please add more ideas for making compost at home since this is not only good for the plants but also a way of controlling pollution!

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 8928]}

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
This is a very good way of utilizing the kitchen and garden waste, I try to do it whenever possible but since I do not have a large space, I have to do it on a smaller scale so some of my kitchen waste has to go in the dust bin!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
We need to add compost or fertiliser to the soil in our garden to spruce it up since it needs a boost when the existing nutrients in the soil gets absorbed by the plants.
The composting of waste materials either by making use of kitchen waste or garden waste like dry leaves rotting wood etc provides a natural system of 'reuse', ultimately by returning the nutrients to the soil...I personally use up all kitchen waste like vegetable peels,fruit peels,prawn shells,fish waste etc etc combined with garden waste ,dry leaves and soil to make compost at home. It can be done in a plastic tub by layering the materials with a layer of garden soil.
please add more ideas for making compost at home since this is not only good for the plants but also a way of controlling pollution!

Crystal clear explanation on how to make compost. I would appreciate if more suggestions are added on this. Let us try in our houses which is good for our family health and highly economic as well.

Born to express, not to impress.
http://royalrobsideas.blogspot.in/
This is a very good way of utilizing the kitchen and garden waste, I try to do it whenever possible but since I do not have a large space, I have to do it on a smaller scale so some of my kitchen waste has to go in the dust bin!

Kalyani the best way to do it is to buy a couple of large earthenware pots and keep making your compost in that and leave it alone after it is full for a month or so and directly plant in that, you should see the way flower plants come up.I planted a chrisanthamum plant once and the size of the flowers were amazing..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Crystal clear explanation on how to make compost. I would appreciate if more suggestions are added on this. Let us try in our houses which is good for our family health and highly economic as well.

Yes Robert this way we are making use of waste in a very useful manner also benefiting by it. In my locality most home makers do this ...

Yes Robert this way we are making use of waste in a very useful manner also benefiting by it. In my locality most home makers do this ...

Congrats. Another congrats for posting this thread.

Born to express, not to impress.
http://royalrobsideas.blogspot.in/

Kalyani the best way to do it is to buy a couple of large earthenware pots and keep making your compost in that and leave it alone after it is full for a month or so and directly plant in that, you should see the way flower plants come up.I planted a chrisanthamum plant once and the size of the flowers were amazing..

Yes, I will try that! I heard there is some biochemical starter solution you get to speed up the decaying process, do you know about it?

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Yes, I will try that! I heard there is some biochemical starter solution you get to speed up the decaying process, do you know about it?

I dont know of any kalyani since mine takes a long time sometimes I use it after 2 months or so.I found this link which is excellent, gives such alt of information on the subject...

http://greenliving.nationalgeographic.com/composting/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
There is a dig also in our home and We also throw kitchen waste or garden waste like dry leaves and it is a good organic manure.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
There is a dig also in our home and We also throw kitchen waste or garden waste like dry leaves and it is a good organic manure.

Thats great, it is indeed an excellent manure and we can see plants thriving when we replant them using this manure.There is also worm culture which too is a very good way of making manure at home...

Do you cover your earthenware pots after it is full? In some articles I have came across that it is best to leave it open. some recommend that it should be covered to hasten the process of composting. So how do you do it?
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.