The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I personally endorse the view that schools shd have counsellors because man children living in joint families or in large families are unable to interact with their parents and express their views and moe importantly doubts and fears ...Also from my own experience as a teacher I feel that when the home atmosphere is not condusive to interaction, children feel the need to share things with someone and it is better to have a mature experienced person like a counsellor or even a teacher with whom they are able to open up, guide them rather than other students who may proably misguide and fill them with misinformation..I have seen this happen manytimes and the parents know there is something bothering their child but are unable to go to the root of the problem because of their own inability for whatever reason !

Councilling by teacher is the most effective way. But what I wanted to say if the purpose of councilling is served by the teacher or the parent is served, there is no need of a separate councilling.do you think parents cannot do councilling? Councilling is a part of good parenting. As you suggested earlier a continuouous interaction between the parents and the teachers would be an ideal way child upbringing.

Definitely ! What you mention is an ideal situation where parents and teachers interact and gauge a child's progress. But this kind of atmosphere exists when many factors come together like financial security, compatibility betweeb the parents and the general home atmosphere.When there is an imbalance a child gets directly effected and parents may never realise that the child is mentally suffering becsue the child may not even realise what is bothering him or her. At such times a Counsellor can help because he or she is trained to look for signs of stress in a child..

Earlier there used to be regular parent-teacher meets. During this period, teachers used to make note of those children with learning difficulties and other abnormalities. And these children used to get a special attention from the teachers in separate sessions.

In today's times earlier arrangements no longer hold. Counsellors are a need and those in need should be sent to them to save them from either taking wrong discussions or going into depressions. Every time/age has its solutions.

Councilling is an option. Not mandatory.

Most of those in need of counselling are treated as suffering from sickness of the mind due to unfortunate stresses of different types. Therefore like other sicknesses where treatment becomes mandatory in counselling also it should be made mandatory. Only persons who do not understand it oppose it. It is treatable and should be treated. No options.

When I said councilling is not mandatory, it's implied under normal conditions. Wise parents will not allow abnormal conditions creep in their child upbringing.

Parents are always wise it is the children who may not perceive them that way and that is where these days counsellors come in. Parents also may lack knowledge in many spheres which is normal.

If the child do not perceive, the parent has to be held responsible. And the parent changes his mode of parenting. I have done it. I's not a cake walk. But it's where the good parenting comes in to the picture.

FYI many parents are also counselled because them maybe the cause of children's problems. Counsellors are like doctors who treat children/parents in need of psychological treatment. Today the need for such help is being openly recognised and it is not at all a challenge to good parenting. This trend is bound to grow with nuclear families,both parents working. wide choices of both good and bad types available, and increasing incomes. I have seen many good teachers encouraging children to take help of counsellors and facing resistance from parents. But after achieving positive results the same parents are ever greatful for their children becoming normal.

Is it not obvious that if some parents are concilled that they had a wrong parenting?

OK they had wrong parenting. So should they be punished or counselled. A person falls sick - should he be court martialled for falling sick or be treated.

Punishment and councilling are the last resorts. A better way is there. Change the mode of parenting. Akin to this, if some one falls sick running for a doctor is not the only solution. Preventing the root of sickness is the ideal solution.

In both cases what is to be done with the patient on hand ?

Wait and study. Then do the required amends.
I personally endorse the view that schools shd have counsellors because man children living in joint families or in large families are unable to interact with their parents and express their views and moe importantly doubts and fears ...Also from my own experience as a teacher I feel that when the home atmosphere is not condusive to interaction, children feel the need to share things with someone and it is better to have a mature experienced person like a counsellor or even a teacher with whom they are able to open up, guide them rather than other students who may proably misguide and fill them with misinformation..I have seen this happen manytimes and the parents know there is something bothering their child but are unable to go to the root of the problem because of their own inability for whatever reason !

Councilling by teacher is the most effective way. But what I wanted to say if the purpose of councilling is served by the teacher or the parent is served, there is no need of a separate councilling.do you think parents cannot do councilling? Councilling is a part of good parenting. As you suggested earlier a continuouous interaction between the parents and the teachers would be an ideal way child upbringing.

Definitely ! What you mention is an ideal situation where parents and teachers interact and gauge a child's progress. But this kind of atmosphere exists when many factors come together like financial security, compatibility betweeb the parents and the general home atmosphere.When there is an imbalance a child gets directly effected and parents may never realise that the child is mentally suffering becsue the child may not even realise what is bothering him or her. At such times a Counsellor can help because he or she is trained to look for signs of stress in a child..

Earlier there used to be regular parent-teacher meets. During this period, teachers used to make note of those children with learning difficulties and other abnormalities. And these children used to get a special attention from the teachers in separate sessions.

In today's times earlier arrangements no longer hold. Counsellors are a need and those in need should be sent to them to save them from either taking wrong discussions or going into depressions. Every time/age has its solutions.

Most of those in need of counselling are treated as suffering from sickness of the mind due to unfortunate stresses of different types. Therefore like other sicknesses where treatment becomes mandatory in counselling also it should be made mandatory. Only persons who do not understand it oppose it. It is treatable and should be treated. No options.

When I said councilling is not mandatory, it's implied under normal conditions. Wise parents will not allow abnormal conditions creep in their child upbringing.

Parents are always wise it is the children who may not perceive them that way and that is where these days counsellors come in. Parents also may lack knowledge in many spheres which is normal.

If the child do not perceive, the parent has to be held responsible. And the parent changes his mode of parenting. I have done it. I's not a cake walk. But it's where the good parenting comes in to the picture.

FYI many parents are also counselled because them maybe the cause of children's problems. Counsellors are like doctors who treat children/parents in need of psychological treatment. Today the need for such help is being openly recognised and it is not at all a challenge to good parenting. This trend is bound to grow with nuclear families,both parents working. wide choices of both good and bad types available, and increasing incomes. I have seen many good teachers encouraging children to take help of counsellors and facing resistance from parents. But after achieving positive results the same parents are ever greatful for their children becoming normal.

Is it not obvious that if some parents are concilled that they had a wrong parenting?

OK they had wrong parenting. So should they be punished or counselled. A person falls sick - should he be court martialled for falling sick or be treated.

Punishment and councilling are the last resorts. A better way is there. Change the mode of parenting. Akin to this, if some one falls sick running for a doctor is not the only solution. Preventing the root of sickness is the ideal solution.

Is there a counsellor in the forum who could join in to support the view that in both cases WAIT can be dangerous. Post treatment analysis can be done ad infitum.

Is there a counsellor in the forum who could join in to support the view that in both cases WAIT can be dangerous. Post treatment analysis can be done ad infitum.

WAITing has its limits.Not until the damage is done. Many respondents already joined this discussion and expressed their valuable views. Even ithen it;s THEIR view. Forum is the platform for expressing the views.Tae it easy.
About the topic in discussion - On a lighter note my 3 kiids always complain me of being partial to the other and I say that since all 3 feel the same I am actually very fair ...Comparing sometimes cannot be avoided because you do it to encourage your children but how you go about it is far more important, as long as the results are positive it is alright but in general comparisons should be avoided altogether !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

About the topic in discussion - On a lighter note my 3 kiids always complain me of being partial to the other and I say that since all 3 feel the same I am actually very fair ...Comparing sometimes cannot be avoided because you do it to encourage your children but how you go about it is far more important, as long as the results are positive it is alright but in general comparisons should be avoided altogether !

Comparing if done to create a competitive spirit amongst the children is Ok. And it's highly essential for the parents to let the children know your intentions. Otherwise comparison will lead to a huge damage that's irrevocable.

Comparing if done to create a competitive spirit amongst the children is Ok. And it's highly essential for the parents to let the children know your intentions. Otherwise comparison will lead to a huge damage that's irrevocable.

And then who will set the damage right ?

One who made the comparison.

By counselling techniques I hope .

Definitely NO. When the parent knew that a particular way has backfired, that parent resorts to another technique. At least thats what I do.Parenting is not giving up. It's perseverance with unlimited patience.it needs loads of courage and confidence. Of course those who cannot may go for councilling. As I have been saying all along I will never look towards some body for a job, when I myself can do with more efficiency and finesse.

Definitely NO. When the parent knew that a particular way has backfired, that parent resorts to another technique. At least thats what I do.Parenting is not giving up. It's perseverance with unlimited patience.it needs loads of courage and confidence. Of course those who cannot may go for councilling. As I have been saying all along I will never look towards some body for a job, when I myself can do with more efficiency and finesse.

Of course those who cannot may go for counselling -- this is what I wanted you to agree to and thanks for doing so.The techniques used by trained counsellors are acquired by undergoing degree courses and parents generally are not aware of these. Counsellors are not in competition to parents but are a support system. It is gaining popularity as people are recognizing its immense benefits. You have said that you will never look towards some body for a job,which you yourselves can do more efficiently and with more finnesse. But how do you know, when you are not a trained counsellor and what is the reference against which you are judging yourself?
With this I rest my arguments and thank you for bearing with me. If any comment of mine has hurt you I apologise as that was never the intention. I have seen many persons benefit from proper counselling and wanted to impress upon you its benefits. But you have inflexible views on it as you are seeing it as an affront to parenthood which simply is not the case.

But where has Tanya escaped by starting the thread which we two have weaved so far.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.