Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Some years back I was at a xerox shop and came to know that lot many studentswho have to submit projects do not visit libraries for data collection. They go to xerox centres who keep a copy of project reports given to them for xeroxing and sell them at high costs to new students. Teachers are also not bothered.

Yes, that is a normal scenario around most colleges and schools. When I was in college myself, there were a group of students who never attended lectures but always had notes ready with them. Once we asked them out of curiosity about how there notes were always updated when they were never seen studying, we were told that a certain xerox shop had a stock of all kinds of notes which you could get a copy of for a fixed sum. :blink: Just mug them up and get scores. Teachers are not bothered because they are only concerned with the results!

This happens because 'thinking out of the box' is not encouraged at schools or colleges. Teachers find it easy to check ready made answers than having to tax their brains and expect a different answers. Hence, students find a way out..copy pasting the same thing over. Of course, I know that a fact cannot be changed and reproduced as it is but for subjects which can have more than one interpretation, teachers should readily accept it and encourage it.

That is what ideally education should involve but sadly, teachers themselves are not taught to think out of the box. Of course there are exceptions to this, but generally as a rule, they are taught and expect from their students too to stick to the routine only. Some students who might be exceptionally bright may write answers in a different manner but are immediately reprimanded for doing so and are made to stick to routine. As a result they soon lose their spark! :blink:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Manoj lamba
We are ignoring core aspect of skill development, instead going forward with degree and marks.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, Manoj lamba
We are ignoring core aspect of skill development, instead going forward with degree and marks.

More focus on scoring 90% or more marks at each board level and the increasing cut-off percentage for getting entry into professional colleges is chief reason. It does not matter if a student is truly intelligent and has a certain set of exceptional skills, but if he has not been able to score 90% or above marks, he does not get admission into a medical or engg. college. So he is discouraged from honing his skills and is made to mug up facts to score more! Not desirable for our country at all in the long run. With such systems and results, the development may still be there, but it won't be sustainable!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Marks and high percentage at schools or colleges can give you a job at an entry level but to grow as professional, a person needs to think out of the box and this trait is a mandate irrespective of the career you choose. Who will teach our teachers? :unsure:

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

There is now something called Corporate Social Responsibility., Every industrial organization and even those in the service sector, like IT, need to do something to the society -- there is a law saying that 2% of the profits should flow to the society.

There is a big need to tap this resource properly. In fact, forget about talking about changing the education system, if the Government schools also have facilities similar or better than the private ones, people will start flocking to the Government ones. We need to remember that education should be one in which overall personality is shaped. Mere cramming is not desirable, and will enable the society to benefit at all.

Yes, we need to change the education system in India, but there should be parity in terms of facilities. The talk of doing something creative about the syllabus or about the method of teaching, and so on, can come later.
Some years back I was at a xerox shop and came to know that lot many studentswho have to submit projects do not visit libraries for data collection. They go to xerox centres who keep a copy of project reports given to them for xeroxing and sell them at high costs to new students. Teachers are also not bothered.

Yes, that is a normal scenario around most colleges and schools. When I was in college myself, there were a group of students who never attended lectures but always had notes ready with them. Once we asked them out of curiosity about how there notes were always updated when they were never seen studying, we were told that a certain xerox shop had a stock of all kinds of notes which you could get a copy of for a fixed sum. :blink: Just mug them up and get scores. Teachers are not bothered because they are only concerned with the results!

This happens because 'thinking out of the box' is not encouraged at schools or colleges. Teachers find it easy to check ready made answers than having to tax their brains and expect a different answers. Hence, students find a way out..copy pasting the same thing over. Of course, I know that a fact cannot be changed and reproduced as it is but for subjects which can have more than one interpretation, teachers should readily accept it and encourage it.

That is what ideally education should involve but sadly, teachers themselves are not taught to think out of the box. Of course there are exceptions to this, but generally as a rule, they are taught and expect from their students too to stick to the routine only. Some students who might be exceptionally bright may write answers in a different manner but are immediately reprimanded for doing so and are made to stick to routine. As a result they soon lose their spark! :blink:

That is very true ! Students are expected to reproduce what is written in the text book because it makes the job easier for teachers while correcting the answer sheets ..I have had so many arguments about this but given up now since it is futile, you have no other go but go with the flow ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

That is very true ! Students are expected to reproduce what is written in the text book because it makes the job easier for teachers while correcting the answer sheets ..I have had so many arguments about this but given up now since it is futile, you have no other go but go with the flow ..

As a parent or a guardian we have very little say in the education system...certainly going with the flow has been the trend so far, but if more and more people wake up and understand and agree with the need to modify the education system, we will soon see some amount of change.

As a parent or a guardian we have very little say in the education system...certainly going with the flow has been the trend so far, but if more and more people wake up and understand and agree with the need to modify the education system, we will soon see some amount of change.

In a report,some years ago, it was reported that some coaching centres train there students so nicely that they become experts in cracking entrance exams of IIT etc. But upon admission are not found to be suitable by the teaching faculties. In fact they suggested that such students should be given a foundation course to bring them at par with other students. Entry crackers exit failures.

In a report,some years ago, it was reported that some coaching centres train there students so nicely that they become experts in cracking entrance exams of IIT etc. But upon admission are not found to be suitable by the teaching faculties. In fact they suggested that such students should be given a foundation course to bring them at par with other students. Entry crackers exit failures.

Cracking any entrance exam can be done by following the pattern of questions over the years..it is really not a big deal even if it is for IIT..the teachers who teach in the coaching centres follow the trend of questions that appear in the exam each year and prepare the students accordingly. However, if as basics and fundamentals are not clear these experts fail to prove themselves in the long run. The coaching centres also function so as to make the centre popular..the more students who can crack IIT entrance exam..the more famous the coaching centres becomes.

It takes two to Tango. If you want to produce sound, you need one more hand. The more the hands are, the more louder the sounds, which in turn may attract others and join the hands. This sound should act like a warning to the Administrators of the education system. Then the much needed change may come in real flesh and blood. Till then we have to take the things in our stride.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.