The belief is that the more you repeat something the better your chances of learning, which according to latest studies has been proven wrong since memorizing a subject repeatedly can interfere with learning process that is related to the subject ...

http://trove.com/me/content/uBWc1?chid=144766&utm_source=editorial&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=srfan

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The belief is that the more you repeat something the better your chances of learning, which according to latest studies has been proven wrong since memorizing a subject repeatedly can interfere with learning process that is related to the subject ...

http://trove.com/me/content/uBWc1?chid=144766&utm_source=editorial&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=srfan

Indeed a good and informative read. In fact we follow Gagne's Nine Events of instruction (a frame work for effective learning process) while creating training materials, where much importance is given to "recall of prior learning" - a step of this learning process, which this article stresses upon. It is in fact very true that cramming without understanding the subject is of no use. Only proper understanding + memorizing helps.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Thank you said by: usha manohar, mohan manohar

Indeed a good and informative read. In fact we follow Gagne's Nine Events of instruction (a frame work for effective learning process) while creating training materials, where much importance is given to "recall of prior learning" - a step of this learning process, which this article stresses upon. It is in fact very true that cramming without understanding the subject is of no use. Only proper understanding + memorizing helps.

Thats precisely why Montessori programe is gaining popularity and importance now..

http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-top-preschool-programs-and-how-they-differ_64635.bc

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Mousumi Ghosh
I totally agree with you. The Jiddu Krishnamoorthy schools set up by the famous philosopher Krishnamoorthy, offer a totally different method of teaching, where repeating or cramming finds no place.

I guess the play schools also offer good food for thought. At a very young age, children are taught to be different and think differently. It is commonly observed that such children, when they grow up, are more mature and also creative than others.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, usha manohar
I totally agree with you. The Jiddu Krishnamoorthy schools set up by the famous philosopher Krishnamoorthy, offer a totally different method of teaching, where repeating or cramming finds no place.

I guess the play schools also offer good food for thought. At a very young age, children are taught to be different and think differently. It is commonly observed that such children, when they grow up, are more mature and also creative than others.

I agree ! But the concept of play school in India is not at all clear since they function differently in different places depnding on who manages it and how competent is the person..But it does develop the social skills and to a certain extent language and communicative skills as well !

I agree ! But the concept of play school in India is not at all clear since they function differently in different places depnding on who manages it and how competent is the person..But it does develop the social skills and to a certain extent language and communicative skills as well !

Play groups/schools are again flourishing as a business not as a school per se. Not sure how much of play schools really provide any food for thought for toddlers for whom play schools are meant. I believe that a toddler can receive more stimulation and learning right at his/her home and as for social interaction visiting play area in the apartment can fulfill this need.

Play groups/schools are again flourishing as a business not as a school per se. Not sure how much of play schools really provide any food for thought for toddlers for whom play schools are meant. I believe that a toddler can receive more stimulation and learning right at his/her home and as for social interaction visiting play area in the apartment can fulfill this need.

That is how children below 5 years age actually learn, but with almost all mothers now working and no place in home for grandparents, the children are automatically carted off to playschools the moment they cross 1.5 years. Very few playschools offer true learning methods that are really made for such tiny children whereas most playschools are nothing but glorified creches. Also I see so many playschools such as Eurokids, Kidzee, Kiddie-Karoo all claiming to be franchises of these schools from abroad but hardly follow their pattern! And the fees are so exorbitant, in few cases even more than what is paid in secondary schools.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

At school times we were taught to repeat for better understanding, and we are also teaching to our kids. If this report is correct then every body should take care of this and teach to kids how to learn a topic or lesson.

That is how children below 5 years age actually learn, but with almost all mothers now working and no place in home for grandparents, the children are automatically carted off to playschools the moment they cross 1.5 years. Very few playschools offer true learning methods that are really made for such tiny children whereas most playschools are nothing but glorified creches. Also I see so many playschools such as Eurokids, Kidzee, Kiddie-Karoo all claiming to be franchises of these schools from abroad but hardly follow their pattern! And the fees are so exorbitant, in few cases even more than what is paid in secondary schools.

Exactly, play schools function as daycare and now the minimum cut off age for play group is 1.5..as mentioned in the above post by Kalyani. It is still okay to send a kid who is 2.6 years to nursery..which according to me is also not mandatory..but since other kids would be well-versed with the habit of going to schoo by the time they are 2 or 2.5 years, out of peer pressure we all have to follow suit.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
I have experienced that you improve your learning more by writing what you have read instead of cramming. First read, then write the points. If you miss some points, concentrate on those only and again write.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I prefer to find the logic of anything, especially during my education days, and when reading anything I prefer to read from end to begin. In this way catch the precis part of anything.

http://mohanmekap.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.