Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
If we come to think about rote learning, we cannot really do away with it. Learning alphabets can happen only by rote learning, learning numbers can happen by rote learning. But for certain subjects rote learning should be coupled with know the logic behind it technique..this helps to retain it for a longer duration.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Unless reasoning goes into any kind of learning it will not be completely productive.One shd understand the subject and analyse it, only then understanding comes and also the interest for learning more about the subject and that in my opinion is real education, not book learning , mugging and reproducing without thinking !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Unless reasoning goes into any kiund of learning it will not be completely productive.One shd understand the subject and analyse it, onky then understanding comes and also the interest for learning more on the subject and that in my opinion is real education, not book learning , mugging and reproducing without thinking !

Sadly that is not the system followed in schools nowadays. The other day my friend was telling me about her daughter who is in eighth standard. Last week she was supposed to be studying for a unit test and she had still not got a master key for some subject, the book has not come in the market yet, so the girl was panicky on how she will study for the test and that she had not written answers for a few questions for the subject. My friend asked the girl to get her text book and read the particular chapter which she did, a bit unwillingly. But after reading the girl was genuinely elated to find the answers within the text book itself! :blink: I was really very surprised and worried too, have they totally stopped reading textbooks altogether?

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Unless reasoning goes into any kiund of learning it will not be completely productive.One shd understand the subject and analyse it, onky then understanding comes and also the interest for learning more on the subject and that in my opinion is real education, not book learning , mugging and reproducing without thinking !

Sadly that is not the system followed in schools nowadays. The other day my friend was telling me about her daughter who is in eighth standard. Last week she was supposed to be studying for a unit test and she had still not got a master key for some subject, the book has not come in the market yet, so the girl was panicky on how she will study for the test and that she had not written answers for a few questions for the subject. My friend asked the girl to get her text book and read the particular chapter which she did, a bit unwillingly. But after reading the girl was genuinely elated to find the answers within the text book itself! :blink: I was really very surprised and worried too, have they totally stopped reading textbooks altogether?

Seriously :ohmy: , textbooks should be the first book to go through, then children can go ahead and use key books as an additional source of reference.

Seriously :ohmy: , textbooks should be the first book to go through, then children can go ahead and use key books as an additional source of reference.

Exactly...when I was in school my parents never brought me and my siblings any kind of key or whatever, we HAD to study from textbooks only! Only when I was in 10th standard, I got a 21-most likely questions, and that too only for revision, I still had to study from the textbooks!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Rote learning is an outdated learning technique often without understanding and reasoning. The ideal way is to understand the content first. It goes without saying, memorizing with understanding will stay in the brain forever.
Rote learning is an outdated learning technique often without understanding and reasoning. The ideal way is to understand the content first. It goes without saying, memorizing with understanding will stay in the brain forever.

Of course that is the best method of learning and with understanding many other qualities are developed as well - Concentration, commitment to the work and also being consistent in one's work !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Of course that is the best method of learning and with understanding many other qualities are developed as well - Concentration, commitment to the work and also being consistent in one's work ![/quote

Above all a student can acquire self confidence which is required in all the spheres of life in future.

Exactly...when I was in school my parents never brought me and my siblings any kind of key or whatever, we HAD to study from textbooks only! Only when I was in 10th standard, I got a 21-most likely questions, and that too only for revision, I still had to study from the textbooks!

Holds true in my case too...at 10th we ought to refer to more books for reference....not sure where are we heading?

Of course that is the best method of learning and with understanding many other qualities are developed as well - Concentration, commitment to the work and also being consistent in one's work !

Above all a student can acquire self confidence which is required in all the spheres of life in future.

Absolutely ! Most of our subjects and teaching methods are dry and uninteresting and students find it difficult to cncentarte because of this. If more practical studies are introduced students wd find it more interesting and also understand the subject better !

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.