hundreds of thousands of students join the Arts courses like BA ( Economics) or BA ( Enlgish literature) or science courses like BSc ( Physics) or BSc ( Chenmistry) and so on.

Most of these students are demoralized and do not know what to do.  The very smart ones from the metros take the examinations like CAT and do the MBA course and then go ahead. However, for the millions who slog it out in self-managed institutions, the standards of teaching are pathetic and the students do not know anything at all.  They live like frogs in the well, and are ill-equipped to handle any situation or problem.

As far as higher studies are concerned, they do not know anything worthwhile, and just aim to get a degree.

How do we do something for these unfortunate children who study in the tier 2 and tier 3 towns and then drown themselves in utter anger and frustration?  Worse is the case with those who study from rural area colleges.

Some attempts have been made to make these courses job-oriented.  For example, if a BA( History) graduate were to be trained in tourism, he can be given a suitable job in places that have a rich cultural heritage.  This conceptual skills will also help him.

Those such attempts are made, there is nothing big to show.

How do we change all this?  Members, may please do come out with their suggestions.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Make these courses more practical based and design learning modules that will allow the students to acquire soft skills needed to get decent jobs and meet challenges in life. Last time I checked, these courses offered simply nothing but a paper degree, of no use in career or life!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Creating career-fair session in such colleges to let the students know what to do after taking a course can be helpful. Explaining the right kind of career opportunities one can pursue post graduation can be of some help to such students. I remember I wanted to pursue law after my 12,although I knew about the entrance exams , I had no clue there had to be coaching for attempting the all India test. So creating awareness among students by sessions by eminent personalities or by almunis who have made it big and something meaningful out if their careers can help lead the way for such students who are clueless what next.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Exactly.  Career counseling is an art and is now becoming famous in cities.  If you have the skill to just look for what is being made available in different universities, and then guide students, it becomes all the more useful.

In fact, many Chennai colleges are doing this.  They allow the student to know all that is available in various fields, just check what he or she  is good at, and then guide them.  The avenues for good coaching classes is now so good and more widely dispersed than what it was some years ago.  The students who take up commerce have so many career options and the colleges are very well equipped to explain the entire details of such courses as options.  For example, many of them take the USA CFA examination.  These details are now available more than ever before.  

Am of course, not very sure whether such counseling takes place in other cities as well.

Exactly.  Career counseling is an art and is now becoming famous in cities.  If you have the skill to just look for what is being made available in different universities, and then guide students, it becomes all the more useful.

In fact, many Chennai colleges are doing this.  They allow the student to know all that is available in various fields, just check what he or she  is good at, and then guide them.  The avenues for good coaching classes is now so good and more widely dispersed than what it was some years ago.  The students who take up commerce have so many career options and the colleges are very well equipped to explain the entire details of such courses as options.  For example, many of them take the USA CFA examination.  These details are now available more than ever before.  

Am of course, not very sure whether such counseling takes place in other cities as well.

Such counseling in not present in all cities or in all colleges. Mostly, more glamorous colleges with expensive education provide such counseling and guidance facilities to their students. Students from rural areas, unfortunately, are not privy to such facilities, in fact, most of them are actually unaware of it. Special cell should be established in all colleges to create awareness in students.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

ABSIVAKUMAR wrote:

Even I am not sure what is the scenario of colleges in small towns and cities and how much awareness students have about various possibilities of career they can avail. I think most student do have access to internet, so the least they can do is google about career options. Since, now every information is available up on internet, why not use it to further career goals.

I see the problem in a different light and angle. The situation in the 2 tier and 3 tier towns is not that chaotic and pathetic. I know a few cases of boys who never attended any fancy colleges ended up as IAS officers.

The secret is expanding their knowledge base and become as self reliant as possible. I'm of the firm opinion that one should not be satisfied with what they got. They should develop an unsatiated hunger to ascend the ladder of success.

Your fate is in your hands. It can be redrafted without depending on educational institutes and counselings.

Pertinent questions raised here, the most important is to create practical studies, even in arts such as say in economics, the progressive economics and its practical aspects can be taught in stead of same micro and macro economics. 

http://mohanmekap.com/

Students who study English or Economics still have many avenues now, but it is other subjects under Humanities that need immediate attention. Practical utility and from a job or career perspective it is very important to make way for such subjects.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.