Here are a few English words which unravel the roots of some words, pronunciation and meaning. With these words one can enhance the writing and speaking skills.

http://www.thehindu.com/books/know-your-english/know-your-english-june-28-2015/article7361712.ece

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Quite useful link. I have a query of my own which I feel can be discussed under this topic rather than start a new one.

We know that margins refer to the borders on a page. When the students write answers, we teachers insist that they also draw a line after every answers as the writing looks more neat and tidy. My doubt is are those lines drawn after an answer simply referred as lines or as margins? Many people including me referred them as margins but one of my colleagues corrected me saying that the margins on a page refer only to the line drawn around the edges. Would be grateful if anyone can explain me the correct usage of the word margin.

jabeen wrote:

Quite useful link. I have a query of my own which I feel can be discussed under this topic rather than start a new one.

We know that margins refer to the borders on a page. When the students write answers, we teachers insist that they also draw a line after every answers as the writing looks more neat and tidy. My doubt is are those lines drawn after an answer simply referred as lines or as margins? Many people including me referred them as margins but one of my colleagues corrected me saying that the margins on a page refer only to the line drawn around the edges. Would be grateful if anyone can explain me the correct usage of the word margin.

Jabeen, this is exactly what I too have been wondering about. Based on what I have learned, margins are referred to lines drawn around the edges of the page and are used to either write dates, serial nos. Q and Ans. etc. and maybe do rough work on right hand margins in case of Maths notebooks. They also make the work appear neat, tidy and presentable. Whereas lines drawn after every Q & A or short notes is just to demarcate it from another Q & A so that the children don't end up mixing one with the other. I asked my son's teacher if the line is called anything specific and I received a no. Maybe Usha can help as she too is a teacher.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar

Margins are in reference to the four sides of a paper. Separating answers from each other is done by drawing a line in between 

Thank you said by: jabeen
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
jabeen wrote:

Jabeen, this is exactly what I too have been wondering about. Based on what I have learned, margins are referred to lines drawn around the edges of the page and are used to either write dates, serial nos. Q and Ans. etc. and maybe do rough work on right hand margins in case of Maths notebooks. They also make the work appear neat, tidy and presentable. Whereas lines drawn after every Q & A or short notes is just to demarcate it from another Q & A so that the children don't end up mixing one with the other. I asked my son's teacher if the line is called anything specific and I received a no. Maybe Usha can help as she too is a teacher.

I know that margins are drawn around the edges. They are also known as borders. The lines drawn between the two answers are just the separating lines. In school, we were taught like this and I made my son learn in this way only. I never had any confusion regarding it.  

shampasaid

Thank you said by: jabeen, Kalyani Nandurkar
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
jabeen wrote:

More than anything it makes the note book look neat and tidy. It can be referred to as left,right,top and bottom margins or top,bottom,outside and inside margis like it is shown in this picture 

margins

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: jabeen, Kalyani Nandurkar, Shampa Sadhya
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
jabeen wrote:

I know that margins are drawn around the edges. They are also known as borders. The lines drawn between the two answers are just the separating lines. In school, we were taught like this and I made my son learn in this way only. I never had any confusion regarding it.  

I had confusion as in my childhood one of my former teachers who speak very good English & was particular about maintaining our notebook very neat & tidy, would ask the students to draw margins after every answers. Later some of my colleagues too referred them as margins. So got confused. Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you said by: usha manohar, Shampa Sadhya

What your Teacher said about Margins is very Appropriate,. I remember, my teacher too insist on maintaining the Margins in our Note books. It gives a neat and beautiful look.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.