Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
chinmoymukherjee wrote:This policy primarily seeks to achieve the goal of of fighting the problem of early drop-out among students,especially ones hailing from submerged sections. Now the question emanates is how far it succeeds in this direction. Any system predicated upon this narrow proposition overlooking the quality aspect which calls for a rational,objective and scientific evaluation is doomed to fail. Prof. Amartya Seen has already voiced his grave concerns over the state of primary education in the country.By pursuing this policy one can ensure retention but ultimately that can not prevent students dropping out on their own.Our class-room teaching is yet to graduate to a stage where the specific needs of bright,average and laggards.

True about class room teaching in the areas at which the idea was aimed (The elite schools of course are leaving not leaving any stone unturned to produce geniuses). Drop out levels and suicide levels had reduced but students were not being serious about their studies. Now the issue is to choose between all children going to school to learn /participate in school activities irrespective of their results (which is mostly poor) and some children not going to school at all

chinmoymukherjee wrote:This policy primarily seeks to achieve the goal of of fighting the problem of early drop-out among students,especially ones hailing from submerged sections. Now the question emanates is how far it succeeds in this direction. Any system predicated upon this narrow proposition overlooking the quality aspect which calls for a rational,objective and scientific evaluation is doomed to fail. Prof. Amartya Seen has already voiced his grave concerns over the state of primary education in the country.By pursuing this policy one can ensure retention but ultimately that can not prevent students dropping out on their own.Our class-room teaching is yet to graduate to a stage where the specific needs of bright,average and laggards.

True Chinmoy, merely promoting children upto 8th std is simply not working for the children from submerged sections, primarily to whom this policy had been originally targetted. Other children from private and better schools do have a grading system and it is ensured that the children maintain grades at all times. But for the EBC children, the quality of education is extremely dismal and there are simply no measures employed to improve them. Efforts are being made to keep children in school such as no detention, midday meals etc. but real education still does not happen. Result is the children still drop out, but only after 8th std and they still cannot even read or write or even do very simple primary level maths.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

usha manohar wrote:
Lopamudra wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Lopamudra wrote:

I agree with you because I have seen how lightly some students take their studies, knowing perfectly well that they will be promoted to the next class no matter how bad their results are. However,  there's a flip side that If the examination marking Is strict, there will be more drop outs, more pressure leading to suicides, running away from home etc..and children do take such extreme steps. One can argue that at least we will have an educated society..whatever little they learn because no matter what you do, kids who are serious about studies will learn In any case and those not interested will atlest attend school If not study..and indirectly In remote areas It may stop child labour

In the long run does it really matter to have children who have gone to school just for the fun of it ? Child labor is in fact encouraged by the parents themselves and they will give preference to monetary gains rather than send the child to school. I am sure there are a few advantages but the disadvantages outnumber them easily. I have seen in my own school how everybody , the students and teachers are taking it easy , because they have no exam worries.As a result when the child goes to 9th standard he or she is not able to cope with the sudden pressure. Then starts the cycle of tuition and extra coaching ..

Those children who are interested in studies on their own will study in any case. The education system has been simplified to a great extent with activities, the cumulative assessment with marks being given for every aspect be it class work, home work, class response, writing abilities, language skills and so on. The idea is to bring out best without creating the fear of exams. Teachers of course are overworked in the process but most of the time they do give in their best. It was done with a good intention of imparting quality education and motivating the weaker ones. Another aim of trying to get children to go to school was to identify their hidden talent since every child it good at something be it art, craft, music or whatever. This would help the children especially the underprivileged ones to make a living for themselves. Child labour is encouraged by the parents mostly for money, true..but in many cases when parents see some kind of potential in their kids they start sending them to school. Now, if they start failing because of their academic weakness, parents may simply say"its better to stay at home and lend a helping hand rather than go to school and fail'. But yes, I do agree that a section of students are beyond any kind of motivation and in spite of the assessment system being so simple are unable to give in their best. Would have been good if some kind of balance could have been worked out..like retest till you clear it or reduce the pass mark.

Your views make a lot of sense but in India many parents from the poorer sections need to be made aware of the importance of education because they see only the immediate benefits like free mid day meal and no tension of study, so that the child can come back and do the house work without having to bother about studies too much.I have seen this attitude. In fact even the middle class mothers are happy that they don't have to worry about teaching their children and so on...

I totally agree with your views about bringing out hidden talents of a child if any...But do we have a system that does it? we certainly don't.I remember when I was a child we would have drawing, sewing,gardening, music and debate and arts as part of the curriculum , and students could choose whatever interested them.Now we have no provision even for a proper library hour or sports which is played after school hours.

Thats absolutely true about parents from the economically weaker sections and it is really a big challenge to convince them...but then one can only try.

The Central Board schools do have co-curricular activities and sports mandatory for all  students which cover almost every thing from dance, music, art, craft, public speaking  and also a talent show is conducted in many schools where children just have to do what they like best.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

True Chinmoy, merely promoting children upto 8th std is simply not working for the children from submerged sections, primarily to whom this policy had been originally targetted. Other children from private and better schools do have a grading system and it is ensured that the children maintain grades at all times. But for the EBC children, the quality of education is extremely dismal and there are simply no measures employed to improve them. Efforts are being made to keep children in school such as no detention, midday meals etc. but real education still does not happen. Result is the children still drop out, but only after 8th std and they still cannot even read or write or even do very simple primary level maths.

That is precisely the point. At least they are going to school till class 8. They have learned something even if not to the level expected. That is better than staying at home. Even if a small percent of these students are motivated to study further , it is an achievement. Problem is more with the ones who have the ability to do well and just because of no detention policy take it easy. Anyways, it would definitely be preferable to find a balance between the two situations.

Most of the parents are interested in only seeing their children in the prestigious corporate schools. Corporate schools make the children Robots. Children are made to memorize the things and vomit in the examinations without thought of the meaning; in a mechanical way.

With this attitude of the parents it is practically impossible to convince them

Lopamudra wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Lopamudra wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Lopamudra wrote:

I agree with you because I have seen how lightly some students take their studies, knowing perfectly well that they will be promoted to the next class no matter how bad their results are. However,  there's a flip side that If the examination marking Is strict, there will be more drop outs, more pressure leading to suicides, running away from home etc..and children do take such extreme steps. One can argue that at least we will have an educated society..whatever little they learn because no matter what you do, kids who are serious about studies will learn In any case and those not interested will atlest attend school If not study..and indirectly In remote areas It may stop child labour

In the long run does it really matter to have children who have gone to school just for the fun of it ? Child labor is in fact encouraged by the parents themselves and they will give preference to monetary gains rather than send the child to school. I am sure there are a few advantages but the disadvantages outnumber them easily. I have seen in my own school how everybody , the students and teachers are taking it easy , because they have no exam worries.As a result when the child goes to 9th standard he or she is not able to cope with the sudden pressure. Then starts the cycle of tuition and extra coaching ..

Those children who are interested in studies on their own will study in any case. The education system has been simplified to a great extent with activities, the cumulative assessment with marks being given for every aspect be it class work, home work, class response, writing abilities, language skills and so on. The idea is to bring out best without creating the fear of exams. Teachers of course are overworked in the process but most of the time they do give in their best. It was done with a good intention of imparting quality education and motivating the weaker ones. Another aim of trying to get children to go to school was to identify their hidden talent since every child it good at something be it art, craft, music or whatever. This would help the children especially the underprivileged ones to make a living for themselves. Child labour is encouraged by the parents mostly for money, true..but in many cases when parents see some kind of potential in their kids they start sending them to school. Now, if they start failing because of their academic weakness, parents may simply say"its better to stay at home and lend a helping hand rather than go to school and fail'. But yes, I do agree that a section of students are beyond any kind of motivation and in spite of the assessment system being so simple are unable to give in their best. Would have been good if some kind of balance could have been worked out..like retest till you clear it or reduce the pass mark.

Your views make a lot of sense but in India many parents from the poorer sections need to be made aware of the importance of education because they see only the immediate benefits like free mid day meal and no tension of study, so that the child can come back and do the house work without having to bother about studies too much.I have seen this attitude. In fact even the middle class mothers are happy that they don't have to worry about teaching their children and so on...

I totally agree with your views about bringing out hidden talents of a child if any...But do we have a system that does it? we certainly don't.I remember when I was a child we would have drawing, sewing,gardening, music and debate and arts as part of the curriculum , and students could choose whatever interested them.Now we have no provision even for a proper library hour or sports which is played after school hours.

Thats absolutely true about parents from the economically weaker sections and it is really a big challenge to convince them...but then one can only try.

The Central Board schools do have co-curricular activities and sports mandatory for all  students which cover almost every thing from dance, music, art, craft, public speaking  and also a talent show is conducted in many schools where children just have to do what they like best.

Many state run schools to come under this policy where there are very few facilities, not even a proper roof over the head in some cases ! The no detention policy was started with the hope of bringing in more students but it is also true that the quality has got diluted in the process !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Quality of education deteriorates certainly. Because, recently a survey was conducted on the conditions in the Government schools in AP

Some of the reasons for the poor quality include absence of around 25 percent of teachers everyday. There are schools without teachers. There are schools without buildings. And there are no students but the teachers are paid regularly. Under these pathetic conditions, education in government schools are bound to take a big blow.

@Lopamudra

It is definitely adding to existing numbers but these are half-measures.If one undertakes the noble goal of feeding the hungry and the famished,it is as much important to bring them to the plate as it is to ensure a nourishing,wholesome meal.Taking a patient to a doctor is just half the job,proper diagnosis and treatment form the redeeming part of it.We either educate them or not do so at all.In the process a lot of time,resources are wasted on either side with no perceptible gains!

I seriously feel that for the targetted classes, the current system of education is totally wrong. actually it is wrong for everyone not just them, but many of us stilll can afford to keep our children in the education system until they cross their 20s. But children from poorer classes cannot afford that, their parents need some quick fixes, and hence the dropouts are more prevalent because the system does not work. There needs to be designed a totally different system where the children can be taught basic skills of reading adn writing along with vocational trades. Once they start earning in those respective trades, it is up to them if they wish to pursue the prevalent education for higher degrees or not. But teach them something first wherein they can put it to use to earn money for their family.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

The very purpose of education is to make the pupil think. Once the pupil acquires the ability to think, things will follow on their own accord. The pupil will chart out his own course of life and needs.

But the question is our educational institutions both government and private are successful in making its pupils think ? Or they making them Robots??

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.