Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I do not have any doubts about the fact that P.M. Iyer and Pico Iyer are one and the same. But, did he ever serve as the PS of Dr.Abdul Kalam ?

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Honestly speaking I am not a great novel reader. I love to read articles, short stories and poems. My 14 year old son is a voracious reader and I have noticed that he is fond of Amish Tripathy whose genre is mythology. As we all know, presently, Chetan Bhagat is a very popular novelist who writes in a very casual English. Those who love the English language, they are not fond of Bhagat's English.  

A good starting. As you said about Chetan Bhagat's down to earth language, add about his books too. This will facilitate other members to add some of their opinions too.

I never read Bhagat's novel but I read his article in news paper, I don't like to much style. Once I read books written by P.M. Ayier, (Memory Bites) an IAS  and P.S of president Dr Abdul Kalam. Books is nice one. 

IS P. M. Aiyer and Pico Aiyer the same author. Please do share a bit more about his books and style of writing.

Some time back I read one of Iyer's books although my memory is very sketchy now. It was a novel about Cuba and Havana called Cuba and the Night ! Was good...I started another and left it half way through because someone else borrowed the book The Lady and the Monk, have still not got back that book. I tend to compare him to Vikram Seth, very similar writing and narrative styles. His father Raghavan Iyer was also a highly educated and qualified person, also wrote some books on politics and philosophy if I am not mistaken,,

I have never read Vikram Seth too so don't know much about it, although I have read reviews about some of Pico Iyer's books and they are really good. I checked out our local library but unfortunately, they don't have his books and also had not heard about him. So I am going to buy his books now.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Honestly speaking I am not a great novel reader. I love to read articles, short stories and poems. My 14 year old son is a voracious reader and I have noticed that he is fond of Amish Tripathy whose genre is mythology. As we all know, presently, Chetan Bhagat is a very popular novelist who writes in a very casual English. Those who love the English language, they are not fond of Bhagat's English.  

A good starting. As you said about Chetan Bhagat's down to earth language, add about his books too. This will facilitate other members to add some of their opinions too.

I never read Bhagat's novel but I read his article in news paper, I don't like to much style. Once I read books written by P.M. Ayier, (Memory Bites) an IAS  and P.S of president Dr Abdul Kalam. Books is nice one. 

IS P. M. Aiyer and Pico Aiyer the same author. Please do share a bit more about his books and style of writing.

Some time back I read one of Iyer's books although my memory is very sketchy now. It was a novel about Cuba and Havana called Cuba and the Night ! Was good...I started another and left it half way through because someone else borrowed the book The Lady and the Monk, have still not got back that book. I tend to compare him to Vikram Seth, very similar writing and narrative styles. His father Raghavan Iyer was also a highly educated and qualified person, also wrote some books on politics and philosophy if I am not mistaken,,

I have never read Vikram Seth too so don't know much about it, although I have read reviews about some of Pico Iyer's books and they are really good. I checked out our local library but unfortunately, they don't have his books and also had not heard about him. So I am going to buy his books now.

Vikram Seth's books are very interesting and very detailed Kalyani and quite voluminous. I have read two of his books A suitable boy which won the bookers award and its sequel A suitable girl. I like the first one better because it is set in the late forties and early fifties and a love story during that period has certain limitations ..quite interesting !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Vikram Seth's books are very interesting and very detailed Kalyani and quite voluminous. I have read two of his books A suitable boy which won the bookers award and its sequel A suitable girl. I like the first one better because it is set in the late forties and early fifties and a love story during that period has certain limitations ..quite interesting !

Thanks for the info, will definitely look it up at the library.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

I think these both are not same author. P.M. Aiyer wrote his some experience during his service period. He wrote about Indira Gandhi. he wrote that she was very caring lady. He also write about his experience during his posting at Thumba.

rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

If you  know more about P.M. Ayer's writings you can start a discussion.

I think no  need of new topic for it. I will share in this topic what I know.

Aiyer wrote on the basis of his experience that never meet alone with female in office.

anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Aiyer wrote on the basis of his experience that never meet alone with female in office.

But Anil, you said PK Iyer served as the PS of ex President late  Dr. Abdul Kalam. I did not get a clarification about this Point neither from the members nor from you. Will you please clarify now ?

rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

But Anil, you said PK Iyer served as the PS of ex President late  Dr. Abdul Kalam. I did not get a clarification about this Point neither from the members nor from you. Will you please clarify now ?

It is right that he was PS of President Kalam. But he also worker on other posts during his service period. He also work as administraior at Thumba, where Dr. Kalam was a scientist.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

I want to read Amish Tripathy's Shiva trilogy books, I have heard that they are quite good. I am very much surprised and pleased to know that your 14-year-old son has reached the stage where he is reading those books, as some of the adults have found it a little hard to understand them. I personally too am not really fond of Chetan Bhagat's style of writing, although his ideas behind each of his books are good.

Kalyani, His school and being parents we encouraged him to read books and now, he is a bookworm. He has finished series after series of many authors. He is extremely fond of Greek and Roman mythology. Amish Tripathy's Scion of Ikshivaku is another favourite of his other than the Shiva Triology. Well, books of Chetan Bhagat, I personally feel is not of his age and even he shows no interest in reading his books. He loves to read detective books also such as Sherlock Homes, Agatha Christie and translated works of Satyajit Ray.

shampasaid

Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

I want to read Amish Tripathy's Shiva trilogy books, I have heard that they are quite good. I am very much surprised and pleased to know that your 14-year-old son has reached the stage where he is reading those books, as some of the adults have found it a little hard to understand them. I personally too am not really fond of Chetan Bhagat's style of writing, although his ideas behind each of his books are good.

Kalyani, His school and being parents we encouraged him to read books and now, he is a bookworm. He has finished series after series of many authors. He is extremely fond of Greek and Roman mythologies. Amish Tripathy's Scion of Ikshivaku is another favourite of his other than the Shiva Triology. Well, books of Chetan Bhagat, I personally feel is not of his age and even he shows no interest in reading his books. He loves to read detective books also such as Sherlock Homes, Agatha Christie and translated works of Satyajit Ray.

THat is really great Shampa! Nowadays most parents complain their children don't read books but they themselves don't take much efforts to inculcate reading habits in the children. LIke you, I too have encouraged and motivated my son a great deal and at 8, he is already reading more books than a 10-year-old kid. Just yesterday, we got his report card and teh teacher's remark says it all, "Adroit Arnav is a voracious reader and an ocean of knowledge at such a young age" blush.pngMy day was made simply reading that!

Right now, he is reading more of Asterix and Obelix and has become a great fan of Julius Caesar and reads up on everything he can find out about him. Do recommend me some good books on Roman and Greek mythology since your son is reading those books. I am sure its a good sign yor son is refusing to read Chetan Bhagat books, no offense intended to Chetan Bhagat fans of course, it is my personal opinion. You should now introduce him to classics such as Jules Vernes adventures, he will love them!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.