Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Honestly speaking I am not a great novel reader. I love to read articles, short stories and poems. My 14 year old son is a voracious reader and I have noticed that he is fond of Amish Tripathy whose genre is mythology. As we all know, presently, Chetan Bhagat is a very popular novelist who writes in a very casual English. Those who love the English language, they are not fond of Bhagat's English.  

I want to read Amish Tripathy's Shiva trilogy books, I have heard that they are quite good. I am very much surprised and pleased to know that your 14-year-old son has reached the stage where he is reading those books, as some of the adults have found it a little hard to understand them. I personally too am not really fond of Chetan Bhagat's style of writing, although his ideas behind each of his books are good.

Kalyani, His school and being parents we encouraged him to read books and now, he is a bookworm. He has finished series after series of many authors. He is extremely fond of Greek and Roman mythologies. Amish Tripathy's Scion of Ikshivaku is another favourite of his other than the Shiva Triology. Well, books of Chetan Bhagat, I personally feel is not of his age and even he shows no interest in reading his books. He loves to read detective books also such as Sherlock Homes, Agatha Christie and translated works of Satyajit Ray.

THat is really great Shampa! Nowadays most parents complain their children don't read books but they themselves don't take much efforts to inculcate reading habits in the children. LIke you, I too have encouraged and motivated my son a great deal and at 8, he is already reading more books than a 10-year-old kid. Just yesterday, we got his report card and teh teacher's remark says it all, "Adroit Arnav is a voracious reader and an ocean of knowledge at such a young age" blush.pngMy day was made simply reading that!

Right now, he is reading more of Asterix and Obelix and has become a great fan of Julius Caesar and reads up on everything he can find out about him. Do recommend me some good books on Roman and Greek mythology since your son is reading those books. I am sure its a good sign yor son is refusing to read Chetan Bhagat books, no offense intended to Chetan Bhagat fans of course, it is my personal opinion. You should now introduce him to classics such as Jules Vernes adventures, he will love them!

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. He reads classics too but he has not read the one you suggested. My son is popular in school because of his reading habit and his librarians too try to give him books even on the days when it's not his turn. Now, he is in school so later I will let you know the names of the books you wanted to know.

Though reading habit is good, it becomes a problem when the child fails to restrain himself for his regular studies. I have to always restrict him because he fails to control his temptation of reading storybooks. 

shampasaid

As someone who also used to enjoy reading at a young age I complement both of you for inculcating reading habit in your children in this age of electronics. One thing is sure they will never feel alone or lonely for they will always have book as their companion. Good luck to both the young ones

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, Shampa Sadhya
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Honestly speaking I am not a great novel reader. I love to read articles, short stories and poems. My 14 year old son is a voracious reader and I have noticed that he is fond of Amish Tripathy whose genre is mythology. As we all know, presently, Chetan Bhagat is a very popular novelist who writes in a very casual English. Those who love the English language, they are not fond of Bhagat's English.  

I want to read Amish Tripathy's Shiva trilogy books, I have heard that they are quite good. I am very much surprised and pleased to know that your 14-year-old son has reached the stage where he is reading those books, as some of the adults have found it a little hard to understand them. I personally too am not really fond of Chetan Bhagat's style of writing, although his ideas behind each of his books are good.

Kalyani, His school and being parents we encouraged him to read books and now, he is a bookworm. He has finished series after series of many authors. He is extremely fond of Greek and Roman mythologies. Amish Tripathy's Scion of Ikshivaku is another favourite of his other than the Shiva Triology. Well, books of Chetan Bhagat, I personally feel is not of his age and even he shows no interest in reading his books. He loves to read detective books also such as Sherlock Homes, Agatha Christie and translated works of Satyajit Ray.

THat is really great Shampa! Nowadays most parents complain their children don't read books but they themselves don't take much efforts to inculcate reading habits in the children. LIke you, I too have encouraged and motivated my son a great deal and at 8, he is already reading more books than a 10-year-old kid. Just yesterday, we got his report card and teh teacher's remark says it all, "Adroit Arnav is a voracious reader and an ocean of knowledge at such a young age" blush.pngMy day was made simply reading that!

Right now, he is reading more of Asterix and Obelix and has become a great fan of Julius Caesar and reads up on everything he can find out about him. Do recommend me some good books on Roman and Greek mythology since your son is reading those books. I am sure its a good sign yor son is refusing to read Chetan Bhagat books, no offense intended to Chetan Bhagat fans of course, it is my personal opinion. You should now introduce him to classics such as Jules Vernes adventures, he will love them!

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. He reads classics too but he has not read the one you suggested. My son is popular in school because of his reading habit and his librarians too try to give him books even on the days when it's not his turn. Now, he is in school so later I will let you know the names of the books you wanted to know.

Though reading habit is good, it becomes a problem when the child fails to restrain himself for his regular studies. I have to always restrict him because he fails to control his temptation of reading storybooks. 

True Shampa, restraint from reading books when they should be playing or doing some other thing does become a problem at times, but can be dealt with by remaining firm and insisting on some proper play time and study time etc.

I am sure he will love Jules Verne adventures, you may have heard of them such as Around the World in Eighty Days, Journey to the Centre of the Earth etc. which have also been adapted rather nicely into films.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Pawani Dube wrote:

I have updated the details. Kindly refer them for further discussion

Instead of keeping on updating , please start your discussion by writing about one of the authors who you consider good and your reasons for doing so..

Yes it is right way but is it possible that authors about which Pawn start discussion we also read them.

The thread starter  suggested the name of Jhumpa Lahiri. Now it is her turn to write about Jhumpa Lahiri or some other writer like Khushwant Singh.

May I write about Chetan Bhagat or should I write about Tagore? I guess writing about Bhagat would be easier for me. 

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Chetan Bhagat is not a bad writer, he is loved by the younger crowds and he is smart and successful having understood what exactly they like to read. He is the typical modern day writer like it was with James Hadley Chase or Mills and Boons romantic novel writers in the west.. 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

Chetan Bhagat is not a bad writer, he is loved by the younger crowds and he is smart and successful having understood what exactly they like to read. He is the typical modern day writer like it was with James Hadley Chase or Mills and Boons romantic novel writers in the west..

You are right that Chetan Bhagat has read the mind of the youths very well. He believes in being saleable author so has opted that very writing skill. His work can be easily made into films and certainly it's profitable.  

shampasaid

so now a day it becomes very important for the author to know what the people want to know or to study at present and Chetan Bhagat knows very well that's he is so famous.

bhuyali saroj

usha manohar wrote:

Usha, he is not a bad writer in fact, I find his concepts and ideas to be quite relevant and in keeping with the modern times, he has understood the minds of Indian youth quite well. But t is the way he writes, is what I personally do not like much. I feel that reading such books with very easy, small sentences will keep the reader exposed to a very limited vocabulary and does not let the reader to exercise his or her brains in understanding the intricacies of the English language usage that is missing in Bhagat's works. Even James Hadley Chase books, very popular they may be, give us a better understanding of the language.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

It's clearly understood that Chetan'S intention of writing Novels in English in such down to earth English language is more of business rather than spreading the English language. A writer , who writes in simple language will be more popular than a writer who writes in a bit hard English.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Usha, he is not a bad writer in fact, I find his concepts and ideas to be quite relevant and in keeping with the modern times, he has understood the minds of Indian youth quite well. But t is the way he writes, is what I personally do not like much. I feel that reading such books with very easy, small sentences will keep the reader exposed to a very limited vocabulary and does not let the reader to exercise his or her brains in understanding the intricacies of the English language usage that is missing in Bhagat's works. Even James Hadley Chase books, very popular they may be, give us a better understanding of the language.

Chetan Bhagat's English is what most people in India would identify with. It is only the non resident Indians who grew up and studied in Britain ,  have an excellent command over the language . The other day I happened to read what Queen Elizabeth had to say about American English..." There is no such thing as 'American English', there is English and there are mistakes " . I would agree with that because no one could speak English as well as the British do ! The highly educated classes have perfect diction,grammar, pronunciation and a very attractive manner of speaking the language . It is a pleasure listening to their conversation..

"

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.