A few years back ,I can still remember, we were seated inside our school auditorium during an event and were asked about the purpose of getting educated. The answer that came from all but a few was ‘to get white collared jobs, earn more, live a luxurious life and be happy for that.’ But is this the sole purpose of education? Do a good job and an overflowing pocket really lead to happiness? It feels really sorry to see that the noble purpose of education has been shrouded under the race for career prospects. At present, perhaps there is no one who realises that the purpose of education is to understand the world around you better, to be able to know and get through events happening around you, be involved in your surroundings and thus seek pleasure from that. 

Ages ago those who were the most educated used to be brimmed with ethics and humility and set ideals for the others. But with the passage of time the trend has taken a huge turn. Nowadays , highly qualified people, with their degrees to boast about turn out to be so condescending that ,those who are less qualified try to deviate path for them as they treat others in too high handed a fashion.

The fault lies in our society, in our mindsets. Today education is viewed as a mark of status and not a mark of morals and decency. Its absolutely disheartening to see how an animosity develops between parents regarding the institute in which their child studies. The more reputed the institute the more people have to boast about. This tendency has completely destroyed the valuable meaning of education. Leaving the few educational institute which are in deplorable condition, I think the rest would teach students the same. Science , maths and literature wouldn’t change depending upon the reputation of the institute. It is certainly accepted that more popular institute would give a bit more exposure to students, but if it were so necessary ultimately, then perhaps, children of vendors and farmers from remote villages, who do not get to make both ends meet wouldn’t qualify competitives with flying colours. With each passing day , more and more students are getting involved in this cut throat competition of being a part of a reputed institute but after that they stand despair without knowing , what next.

Rote learning has plagued our society. The more you learn , the more you score and the more you are praised. But practical application of knowledge is zero in India because children are made to grow up like that. They are taught to close their eyes and ears and study like a machine , gripped in solitude, parting with their passions until and unless they get to a position where they can boast about . Students here study but don’t understand. They write essays on the beauty of flower but never learn to appreciate its beauty and fragrance. This is the prime fallacy. Students learn that it is necessary to save energy but would still carry a scooty for a short distance. Doctors advice others that smoking is injurious to health but they do so themselves.

One  thing that really heated up my blood was that recently 50 iitians came forward to form a party to fight for the rights of sc/st in india. Needless to say that today the scenario is such that general people are in dire need of reservation. There has been enough of upliftment of sc/st category. How much more they want? I failed to understand why they couldn’t come forward to seek the welfare of economically backward people? That is what is required. We aspire equal opportunities for all. Don’t know whether during the long years of preparation for iit, they had lost their common sense to such a pitiable extent.

Having 23 IITS , AIIMS, NISER, IISC, all these in India, the research and development here is negligible. These institutes prepare wonderful brains which get transported abroad and become slaves of foreign companies. Had those brains been applied here , India would have been a far far better place to live in. Even the most brilliant students show their reluctance towards research. They don’t want to exercise their brain to find out something better to modify their place. What they want is to go to a better place and sell off their brains there for high salaries. And most complain about india not developing. How will it develop when those having the capability of doing so don’t want to do it?

Words wouldn’t suffice to pen down all that has to be modified but still we can keep the flame of hope burning till the serenity of education is well understood by all, and it is viewed as something to help resolve all conflicts and make the world a better place to live  in rather than having catfights over trivial matters as from where education is availed.

The time is ripe enough to unveil the real meaning of education. Until and unless education is accepted and applied , it will stand worthless. In reality education is the quintessential gleam required to traverse the dark path of life. When it shows us the path, we shouldn’t refuse to follow the right one.

Let’s see when people understand, ‘education, for what.’

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Please keep your posts to the point and in right format. Copy paste from other sources is not allowed so type your content here itself. Thank you. 

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

I spent so much time fast reading through the whole passage. PHEW. Ya I agree that people tend to forget the true meaning of education. They just want their children to get into the best school, best program. But they do have their own point. Children might not know that getting into a good program or university is good for them. They might be confused just like when I was young. I just followed a path that most people take and what my parents told me. Now I make enough money. It is true that money doesn't equal happiness. But without money, there will absolutely be no happiness for sure from my point of view. So to sum up I guess, everything has the right and wrong side. 

Education according to Maria Montessori is " Right help given in right amount at right time". Somehow this essence is lost in today's demand and supply based education model. There is no right help, no right amount and definitely not the right age. Education is to help you refine your virtues of being a human but some where the education that is propagated now kills all the human virtues that you are born with

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Of course , what you said is true, but I never wrote that getting into a reputed institute is bad, I condemned the animosity that develops between parents regarding ,in which school their child studies.

Very lengthy post. You could ve written an article with it. 

I wouldn't agree with your view that people don't understand the concept of education. I feel that education serves many purpose and so each person ll might ve different purpose of getting educated. There is no harm if people ain for getting good job with a good education while getting good moral values simultaneously. Its also wrong to assume that Indian education is all about rote learning. It focus on both application and rote learning. In fact, once i came across an article where it was mentioned that countries like China are trying to follow Indian system of education as it proves better than any other system.

jabeen wrote:

Very lengthy post. You could ve written an article with it. 

I wouldn't agree with your view that people don't understand the concept of education. I feel that education serves many purpose and so each person ll might ve different purpose of getting educated. There is no harm if people ain for getting good job with a good education while getting good moral values simultaneously. Its also wrong to assume that Indian education is all about rote learning. It focus on both application and rote learning. In fact, once i came across an article where it was mentioned that countries like China are trying to follow Indian system of education as it proves better than any other system.

I agree with that , education has different significance and connotation to different people . So, we cannot genetalisr and Indian education with all it's shortcomings is still at par with International standards. The very fact that Indians have made a mark internationally , shows that our education delivers ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

We were the pioneers in Education if we look at the history. But sadly we have tried to follow others so much that we have undermined and ignored the goodness of it. Many other countries are trying to follow what was followed in Ancient India but we have totally overlooked it.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Thank you said by: anil
Yogita wrote:

Education is not only studying books....... But that was a really lenghty one.

Studying book is not enough of study. Best study is one which prepared good human being and citizen as well.

Education system should be to inculcate punctuality, discipline, nurturing good habits & etiquettes like the schools in Japan do. For the first few years there is no studying but inculcation of good habits in children. This is of paramount importance & for a Country like India it is the foremost change that should come into the picture.

It will ensure that there is a slow but steady & firm change in the lifestyle of the people, improve cleanliness, abiding to laws & creating a  fulfilling & harmonious life.

Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!

epraneeth77 wrote:

Education system should be to inculcate punctuality, discipline, nurturing good habits & etiquettes like the schools in Japan do. For the first few years there is no studying but inculcation of good habits in children. This is of paramount importance & for a Country like India it is the foremost change that should come into the picture.

It will ensure that there is a slow but steady & firm change in the lifestyle of the people, improve cleanliness, abiding to laws & creating a  fulfilling & harmonious life.

After reading your post, I was going through some of the articles about the Japanese educational system. Actually children are taught different subjects from around age 6 just like in India. And a survey conducted indicates that the Japanese students face lots of pressure academically to perform well. But its true that focus is given to teach them etiquettes at an early age. Moral values are compulsorily taught along with other subjects .

Thank you said by: epraneeth77
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.