This may sound funny but as we all know about Greenland. My question is when it's white and covered with ice always why is it so called. :cheer:
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Greenland is called green because greenland has green grasses and green trees. :P :lol:
Nice question! Probably a case of false advertising or a wishful thinking!

False advertising to make it sound like it was green and a paradise like place so people would come there! :laugh:

Wishful thinking because they hoped calling it Greenland would make the place green some time! :laugh:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

@Rajani
The name Greenland comes from Scandinavian settlers. In the Norse sagas, it is said that Erik the Red was exiled from Iceland for murder. He set out in ships to find land rumoured to be to the northwest. After settling there, he named the land Grfnland (Greenland), possibly to attract more people to settle there. Greenland was also called Gruntland (Ground-land) on early maps. Whether Green is an erroneous transcription of Grunt (ground), which refers to shallow bays, or vice-versa, is not known. The southern portion (not covered by glacier) is very green in summer

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

Greenland was first settled by Europeans.At that time,the climate was mild and pleasant and the land covered with grasses.So,its called so.
Sarala thanks for providing the information. I hope the doubt is cleared.
sarala explained well. Thank you.Greenland is full of green grass and trees.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
Sarala had explained the history behind the naming of Greenland.It is a good explanation.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
because the climate condition of greenland is as this tht is why it cover with ice all the time.
it is its name only that doesn't depend how that island looks like.
Very well explained by Sarala and our doubt cleared about the same and nevertheless a very good question raised by Rajani.... :)
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.